Abiogenesis, evolution and morality

Abiogenesis, evolution and morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
28 Apr 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
I believe in the sanctity of life, all life is precious. How about you?
I don't believe in the "sanctity" of anything and I don't think all life is "precious." For instance I don't regard bacteria as being "precious" or "sacred."

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Apr 16
2 edits

Originally posted by finnegan
[b]We are commanded to believe refers to believe the message of the Gospel.
When this may reach a person differs.
But for most people the message arrives at birth when they are born into a Christian family.

But all have sinned. If your Muslim neighbors did not think that they had sinned they probably would not bother being Muslims in the firs ...[text shortened]... ich one might suggest a reasonable scenario in which to make a human sacrifice of your only son?
Hi, I was wondering what your profession is, your education. I am starting to read, with interest, your blog and not sure yet which side of the science/religion fence you are on, or are you a mugwump (your mug on on side and your wump on the other🙂 In your blog about Jay Gould's Rock of Ages, you say Gould does not have a good definition of religion and his relationship with Spencer.

Can you give me a description of Spencer's main points? And in your blog I was not sure who was influencing whom, Spencer's ideas influencing Gould or Vice Versa.

Anyway, interesting read. Irish Catholic still? I have 4 Irish grandparents but a Jennings snuck in there somewhere🙂 Do you play Irish music? I do, played professionally with a band back in Venice beach, Southwind Irish band, got a number of good gigs. The IRA wanted us to be their official band but we thought we shouldn't get involved with them for some reason or other🙂

Ah, a quick look at Wiki says Gould was influenced by Spencer since Spence died in 1903. Answers that question anyway.

So today Spencer has both followers and detractors. Which one are you and why?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
29 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Socially speaking, a moral code is a 'code of moral behaviour' that at least the majority of people in a given group adhere to; a collective understanding of what is right and wrong. - If 'everyone' is against it, who's moral code is it exactly? (Go on say God, I know you want to).

As I say, they are no absolutes.
As I say, there are no absolutes.

Yes that should be the case if you are an atheist. Twhitehead, do you agree?

K

Germany

Moves
29 Apr 16

[b]As I say, there are no absolutes.

Yes that should be the case if you are an atheist. Twhitehead, do you agree?[/b]
If there are "absolutes" in mythology you guys sure seem to have an awfully hard time agreeing on them.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
If there are "absolutes" in mythology you guys sure seem to have an awfully hard time agreeing on them.
So you agree that with no absolutes, morals become a matter of personal preference?

Cape Town

Moves
29 Apr 16

Yes that should be the case if you are an atheist. Twhitehead, do you agree?
No, I do not agree. But it may be a matter of disagreement over what the word 'absolute' means.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, I do not agree. But it may be a matter of disagreement over what the word 'absolute' means.
Well technically there is only one absolute for an atheist. And that is death.

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
Absolutely.

😛

Moves
29 Apr 16

Well technically there is only one absolute for an atheist. And that is death.
I would add to that 'Taxes' and 'Theists misunderstanding what it means to be an atheist.'

(And even your 'death' absolute might not be absolute in the future, due to rapidly advancing technology. Perhaps humans of the future will simply be downloaded onto a USB stick or saved, not by Jesus, but onto a hard drive).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Apr 16

I would add to that 'Taxes' and 'Theists misunderstanding what it means to be an atheist.'

(And even your 'death' absolute might not be absolute in the future, due to rapidly advancing technology. Perhaps humans of the future will simply be downloaded onto a USB stick or saved, not by Jesus, but onto a hard drive).
What does 'what it means to be an Atheist" mean to you?

K

Germany

Moves
29 Apr 16

So you agree that with no absolutes, morals become a matter of personal preference?
I think the notion of an "absolute" moral code is meaningless and de facto indistinguishable from a "non-absolute" moral code.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
29 Apr 16
1 edit

If you live in the UAE like I do you can avoid taxes 😀

At least for now death is an absolute. Interesting that you blame theists for being too imaginative 😛

Would you care to enlighten me on what it actually means to be an atheist?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I think the notion of an "absolute" moral code is meaningless and de facto indistinguishable from a "non-absolute" moral code.
So for you it would never be morally wrong to steal a large sum of money for instance?

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
Hi, I was wondering what your profession is, your education. I am starting to read, with interest, your blog and not sure yet which side of the science/religion fence you are on, or are you a mugwump (your mug on on side and your wump on the other🙂 In your blog about Jay Gould's Rock of Ages, you say Gould does not have a good definition of religion and hi ...[text shortened]... estion anyway.

So today Spencer has both followers and detractors. Which one are you and why?
Thanks for reading my blog. I know its limitations. If I tried to improve it nothing would get done.

To answer your question about Spencer, Gould describes the use of Social Darwinist arguments in science textbooks of the early 20th Century. What Gould fails to make explicit is that Social Darwinism is not even consistent with Darwinism and is not derived from Darwin, but from a complete non scientist, a private individual with enough wealth to entertain himself as a classic Victorian man of letters, called Herber Spencer. Gould had a decent argument to make about the racist nature of science textbooks in the early 20th Century and the motivation of many well intentioned attacks on their use in schools. Gould certainly put a different and fascinating light on the Scopes trial. Sadly, he blew his own argument by implying that Darwin rather than Spencer was the evil genius behind Social Darwinism. If the opponents of these text books had understood their science, and not relied on a silly defence of literal biblical reading, then they would surely have been better equipped to see through their campaign against racist text books supported by pseudo non-science.

If you want a follower of Herbert Spencer today, you could look at the posts from Fishface the racist troll for example.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
29 Apr 16

So for you it would never be morally wrong to steal a large sum of money for instance?
KN did not say he had no moral code. He said it was not "absolute."