1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 16:19
    Originally posted by sonship
    Concerning false gods, fake gods, fictional gods, idols -

Does counterfeit money prove that real money does not exist ?

Knobs is still thinking on it. or busy.
    Fake Gods? What are you on about sonship? Why are you asking me about fake Gods?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 16:57
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    No, counterfeit money does not prove that real money does not exist. However, the existence of real money does still need to be evidenced.

All gods are fake until you evidence otherwise, something you are yet to do to my satisfaction.
    Why that way round? Why should it not be that "All gods are true until proven otherwise.". After all, this is the normal approach in Popper's system, things are falsified rather than verified.

I'm a little wary of your counterfeit money analogy, after all, there really is no point in faking it in a society that does not have real money in the first place. In the case of counterfeit money one has evidence that there is something being copied. In the case of gods the atheist claim is that they do not exist in the first place, so nothing is being copied. I know what you're trying to get at but it's vulnerable to the question: "What is being faked?".
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 17:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think the argument is, we care only if morality benefits us.

If it does not benefit us, then to hell with morality.
    If isn't based on anything than it can be anything. Right now people in higher education
    can no longer tell boys from girls. If there are no absolutes than whatever comes down
    the pipe will do until something else gets flushed our way.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:252 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If isn't based on anything than it can be anything. Right now people in higher education
    can no longer tell boys from girls. If there are no absolutes than whatever comes down
    the pipe will do until something else gets flushed our way.
    I'm not defending it, I'm just trying to explain it.

For the secular humanist, there is no right and wrong aside from what they perceive to be beneficial or not beneficial. For the secular humanist, it is beneficial to give gays their marriage rights and transgenders their bathroom rights etc. So it all boils down to perceived personal benefit that is ever changing. As a result, right and wrong is forever changing for the secular humanist. History is a testament to that.

For those of faith, however, they prescribe to a higher power, so that even though they may not perceive a benefit to following a particular morality, they still follow that morality believing that in the end we will benefit.

What gets complicated, however, is when people interpret God's morality to benefit themselves.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:28

For the secular humanist, there is no right and wrong aside from what they perceive to be beneficial or not beneficial. For the secular humanist, it is beneficial to give gays their marriage rights and transgenders their bathroom rights etc. So it all boils down to perceived personal benefit that is ev ...[text shortened]... particular morality, they still follow that morality believing that in the end we will benefit.
    People of faith don't prescribe to a higher power, they 'believe' they are prescribing to a higher power.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:30
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Why that way round? Why should it not be that "All gods are true until proven otherwise.". After all, this is the normal approach in Popper's system, things are falsified rather than verified.

I'm a little wary of your counterfeit money analogy, after all, there really is no point in faking it in a society that does not have real money in the first ...[text shortened]... I know what you're trying to get at but it's vulnerable to the question: "What is being faked?".
    Wellington said that 'we should always go before our enemies with confidence, otherwise our apparent uneasiness inspires them with greater boldness.' From this I extrapolate that an atheist should go before a theist with confidence that God does not exist, otherwise our apparent uncertainty with render them intolerable.

And the original counterfeit money analogy was sonship's so have no objection to you highlighting its vulnerability. My own analogies invariably involve sandwiches.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    People of faith don't prescribe to a higher power, they 'believe' they are prescribing to a higher power.
    No, you believe that they are only believing that they prescribe to a higher power. 😛
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 18:57
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Wellington said that 'we should always go before our enemies with confidence, otherwise our apparent uneasiness inspires them with greater boldness.' From this I extrapolate that an atheist should go before a theist with confidence that God does not exist, otherwise our apparent uncertainty with render them intolerable.

And the original count ...[text shortened]... objection to you highlighting its vulnerability. My own analogies invariably involve sandwiches.
    What the heck is a counterfeit sandwich?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 19:01
    http://www.theblackcabinet.org/series/sandwiches/
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 19:20

For the secular humanist, there is no right and wrong aside from what they perceive to be beneficial or not beneficial. For the secular humanist, it is beneficial to give gays their marriage rights and transgenders their bathroom rights etc. So it all boils down to perceived personal benefit that is ev ...[text shortened]...
    What gets complicated, however, is when people interpret God's morality to benefit themselves.
    That is my point as well, if the only right and wrong is what we want then whatever we think
    is the only thing that matters, from who gets to join little girls in the showers, to do I have
    to work for a living or live off the tax dollars from those cheaters who have when I don't.

Things only matter if there are real right and wrongs that have nothing to do with what
    we think, and reality is not defined just because it is the way we want it between our ears.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 19:21
    So you say!
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 19:431 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That is my point as well, if the only right and wrong is what we want then whatever we think
    is the only thing that matters, from who gets to join little girls in the showers, to do I have
    to work for a living or live off the tax dollars from those cheaters who have when I don't.

Things only matter if there are real right and wrongs that have nothing t ...[text shortened]... at
    we think, and reality is not defined just because it is the way we want it between our ears.
    After Christ entered the world, morality changed in large part. Charity was then seen as a virtue. Helping the weak and poor became "good" instead of crushing them for personal gain. Of course, people continue to destroy the poor but at least the general morality within society sees this as "wrong" even if they are not religious.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 20:00
    After Christ entered the world, morality changed in large part. Charity was then seen as a virtue.
    Charity as a virtuous concept existed long before Christ. How ignorant can you be?

Of course, people continue to destroy the poor but at least the general morality within society sees this as "wrong" even if they are not religious.
    And interestingly enough, the less religions are more charitable.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 20:08
    So we evolved and evolved and at a certain point we created something like a Law of Good Behavior ? Or we could call it a Law of Decent Conduct prescribing how we ought to treat one another ?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 20:10
    Anything containing tuna.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree