1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    22 Aug '17 20:02
    YouTube

    I thought Matt didn't do well. His bodily rights argument is problematic in this situation, and Christine scored some points on that. And he passed up the chance to oppose her argument that a fetus is a human person. A fertilized egg is not a person, while the day before birth we DO have a baby, so a line needs to drawn somewhere.

    I say look for the brain waves associated with consciousness. So during the first trimester and as early as possible, terminating a pregnancy doesn't involve killing a human person.

    I'm also disappointed with both debaters for never stressing the importance of preventing unwanted pregnancies from occurring in the first place.

    Oh well. The clip is long. Audience questions begins at about 44 minutes, and they ask some good ones. Good debate free of theism.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91634
    22 Aug '17 22:23
    Originally posted by @apathist
    [youtube]vpnUNeaYedA[/youtube]

    I thought Matt didn't do well. His bodily rights argument is problematic in this situation, and Christine scored some points on that. And he passed up the chance to oppose her argument that a fetus is a human person. A fertilized egg is not a person, while the day before birth we DO have a baby, so a line needs to drawn so ...[text shortened]... e questions begins at about 44 minutes, and they ask some good ones. Good debate free of theism.
    Free of theism?

    debate between humanists?

    You may have the wrong forum 😀

    Ok, I'll check this out soon
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91634
    23 Aug '17 00:11
    Originally posted by @apathist
    [youtube]vpnUNeaYedA[/youtube]

    I thought Matt didn't do well. His bodily rights argument is problematic in this situation, and Christine scored some points on that. And he passed up the chance to oppose her argument that a fetus is a human person. A fertilized egg is not a person, while the day before birth we DO have a baby, so a line needs to drawn so ...[text shortened]... e questions begins at about 44 minutes, and they ask some good ones. Good debate free of theism.
    Not bad. A bit too long. Starting after 20 mins (after the openings remarks) rec'd.
    It's a bit weird ,imo, to look at human rights from an unborns perspective, but thats what that chick does.
    I cant sympathize with her. I must be a bad human being
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86373
    23 Aug '17 01:08
    Originally posted by @apathist
    [youtube]vpnUNeaYedA[/youtube]

    I thought Matt didn't do well. His bodily rights argument is problematic in this situation, and Christine scored some points on that. And he passed up the chance to oppose her argument that a fetus is a human person. A fertilized egg is not a person, while the day before birth we DO have a baby, so a line needs to drawn so ...[text shortened]... e questions begins at about 44 minutes, and they ask some good ones. Good debate free of theism.
    Doesn't this thread belong in debates, why have you posted it in here?
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    23 Aug '17 03:55
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Doesn't this thread belong in debates, why have you posted it in here?
    It involves spirituality, including morality and empathy. Usually one side in the debate invokes a magical sky-daddy, and it was actually nice to explore some real issues instead. Thx for your contribution, my stalker you. Keep the questions coming.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86373
    24 Aug '17 06:171 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    It involves spirituality, including morality and empathy. Usually one side in the debate invokes a magical sky-daddy, and it was actually nice to explore some real issues instead. Thx for your contribution, my stalker you. Keep the questions coming.
    Morality and empathy are not exclusive to spirituality. You would probably get more interest if you posted it in debates.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    24 Aug '17 21:391 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Morality and empathy are not exclusive to spirituality. You would probably get more interest if you posted it in debates.
    Morality and empathy are spiritual issues. Science is very quiet here. Right from wrong is not an issue that science addresses. Did you not know this?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86373
    24 Aug '17 21:51
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Morality and empathy are spiritual issues. Science is very quiet here. Right from wrong is not an issue that science addresses. Did you not know this?
    I didn't say the "science forum" I said the "debates forum". Anyway, clearly no one in here gives a rats ass about your crappy thread.
Back to Top