1. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 10:45
    The important question is not just whether the fetus is alive, but also, is the fetus a separate living entity from its mother?
    I have heard many people compare the fetus to an organ (liver, kidney, etc.) in that it is a living thing which requires the host's body for survival and cannot be considered an independently living thing. The difference is that the fetus will eventually have the capability to live independently and then will be cast off to do so. Does the fact that it will eventually be an independent being mean that it should be treated as such even before it is capable of being indepedent? And if so, how early should it begin (as before conception, there was still a form of living matter that had the potential to become a separate living being)?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 13:35
    Originally posted by yousers
    The question is not if the fetus has rights, but rather if it has a soul.
    Prove, using scientific methods, that a soul exists.

Until you can do that whether or not an organism supposedly has one has no effect on law.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 14:23
    Originally posted by echecero
    The important question is not just whether the fetus is alive, but also, is the fetus a separate living entity from its mother?
    I have heard many people compare the fetus to an organ (liver, kidney, etc.) in that it is a living thing which requires the host's body for survival and cannot be considered an independently living thing. The difference i ...[text shortened]... ere was still a form of living matter that had the potential to become a separate living being)?
    So if humans developed like chickens do within eggs even though
    they would still be developing within the egg they would now be
    separate living beings because they are outside before they hatch?
    Are they not separate beings even before that anyway, they are just
    within the body of the woman where they are being formed early on
    in life. The only issue is they may be within someone who does not
    want them, it isn't that they are some how not who they are.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree