1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 23:57
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    For those who think the world is overpopulated . . .

Assuming there are 6,525,170,264 people in the world (https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/xx.html)

and assuming that the area of Texas is 268,581 square miles

then there will be 24,294 (rounded from decimal) people per
    27,878,400 square feet which further simplifies to one ...[text shortened]... the world.

Conclusion: Overpopulation is hysterical thinking. Just look at the facts.
    Rubbish. You are using an underpopulated state in America as your example. What about, let's say, Japan? One of the highest population densities on the planet. Would you like me to use that example to demonstrate my point? No? Didn't think so.

Large area of the world are over populated. It's true, currently we could feed the entire worlds population. The reason we can't are economic and political. However, of course, as the population exceeds 10 billion (by 2070-ish) then we won't be able to feed the population. Currently, we only do it using intensive agriculture, which is not terribly good for the environment.
  2. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 01:53
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    It is a fairy tale that the RCC does not allow birth control.

The RCC allows birth control, based on the natural infertile period of the woman. The Church objects to unnatural, artificial ways of birth control.
    Just wondering ivanhoe, what do you think of women taking birthcontrol but not for pregnancy prevention purposes?
  3. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 02:14
    For those who think the world is overpopulated . . .

Assuming there are 6,525,170,264 people in the world (https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/xx.html)

and assuming that the area of Texas is 268,581 square miles

then there will be 24,294 (rounded from decimal) people per
    27,878,400 square feet which further simplifies to one ...[text shortened]... the world.

Conclusion: Overpopulation is hysterical thinking. Just look at the facts.
    Well, you see in schools today they teach kids that 70% of the Earth is covered in water, and our largest continent has record temperature highs of -150 degrees.
  4. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 04:53
    Originally posted by Remora91
    Well, you see in schools today they teach kids that 70% of the Earth is covered in water, and our largest continent has record temperature highs of -150 degrees.
    So what if 70% of the earth is covered in water? Texas is what percenttage of the entire land mass of earth? The point that I made showed that there is plenty of room for people, and therefore plenty of room for growing food.

You can not use overpopulation as an excuse. Certain areas are inhabitable but there are not that many. We can adapt and live in rural areas. Our descendents did at some point.
  5. lookin for a way out
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 09:31
    Just wondering ivanhoe, what do you think of women taking birthcontrol but not for pregnancy prevention purposes?
    Good point, maybe we should look at them as hormone pills with side effects that prevent pregnancy.
  6. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 11:261 edit
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Two points

1) Adultery is defined as being sexual intercourse (or 'sexual relations' if you will) between a married person and someone other than their spouse. If you are unmarried, you cannot commit adultery other than with a married person.

2) If you think that sex has only one function then you are in for a rather bland existence. I take it you are not married......
    1. Adultery is clear in the Bible. od said you should be married before you have sex, and has many laws agaist adultery. Mostley towards women or couples. (see below)

2. Nope. No girlfriend either. But if I was married, I'd have sex to have a baby.

1. Unmarried sex
    2. Sex with someone other than your wife

Both are called adutery.
  7. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 11:31
    And no. I am not a homeschooled teenageer.
  8. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 16:38
    So what if 70% of the earth is covered in water? Texas is what percenttage of the entire land mass of earth? The point that I made showed that there is plenty of room for people, and therefore plenty of room for growing food.

You can not use overpopulation as an excuse. Certain areas are inhabitable but there are not that many. We can adapt and live in rural areas. Our descendents did at some point.
    Here are a few of the places we can rule out for growing food or populating due to climate: Alaska, Northern Canada, Greenland, Northern Russia, I'd assume most of Northern Europe, plenty of Africa, the Artic Circle, and Antartica. Places like India, Japan, and China are too overpopulated already to grow food or house more people. Many contries in Africa and the Middle East, some of the southern states, and Mexico don't have the ideal climate to grow crops. However, this just addresses food and where we can put people, when there are many other problems with overpopulation (such as how to pay for the food, where these people can get jobs, housing for people, etc.).
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 20:17
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    1. Adultery is clear in the Bible. od said you should be married before you have sex, and has many laws agaist adultery. Mostley towards women or couples. (see below)

2. Nope. No girlfriend either. But if I was married, I'd have sex to have a baby.

1. Unmarried sex

Both are called adutery.
    1) Sounds like you have one definition amoungst many.

http://www.libchrist.com/bible/adultery.html

Biblical Discussion of Adultery
    It is clear scripture itself has no prohibition against singles sex, only what has been added by Church tradition. Adultery is more complex. The Jews understood "Thou shalt not commit adultery" very differently than Church tradition. It only applied to men if they had intercourse with someone else's wife. But it was allowable for a married man to have intercourse with a single woman. Adultery was the sin of "trespassing" on a man's property. Until marriage women were the property of their fathers. After marriage they became the property of their husband.

http://www.twopaths.com/faq_adultery.htm

The word translated as "adultery" in the New Testament of the Bible is the Greek word moicheia. Its primary meaning was sexual intercourse between a married woman and any man other than her husband. However, the New Testament generally forbids all extramarital sex, so sexual intercourse between a married man and any woman other than his wife is also forbidden. In common usage today, "adultery" includes both cases above.

http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/adultery.html

SEXUAL ADULTERY -- "Conjugal infidelity. An adulterer was a man who had sexual intercourse with a woman he was not married to, either a married woman or one who was engaged to be married. A woman who did the same thing was an adulteress.

2) Do you mean 'If I were married, I'd only have sex that could lead to procreation'

[interesting that word, Pro-creation - before creation, a fetus is before creation....???)
  10. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 21:08

1. Unmarried sex

Both are called adutery.
    If you or your wife was unable to have children, would you never have sex?
  11. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 21:23
    I think there would be some leeway for trying to - after all, there have been miracles...
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 21:42
    What do you mean ?
  13. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 22:14
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    What do you mean ?
    Many women take birthcontrol for reasons other than pregnancy prevention (examples: hormone replacement therapy, ovarian cysts, irregular periods, etc.).
  14. London
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 13:10

1. Unmarried sex

Both are called adutery.
    No. Technically the first is 'fornication'.
  15. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 17:03
    No. Sorry. I've been misunderstood. I'd have sex to have a baby. If I didn't want to have a baby, I wouldn't have sex for risk of having a baby. If my wife physically couldn't have a baby, then there would be no problem with me having sex with her. I've never done it, but I know sex is pleasurable. It must be; if it wasn't, then the only reason to have sex would be to have a baby. Because it's pleasurable, I would do it if my wife couldn't have a baby.

Complicated, isn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree