1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 03:33
    Originally posted by josephw
    Are you saying that by applying the principal of interpretation of comparing scripture with scripture is actually preventing me from seeing that the bible is flawed and not reliable as the guide to all truth?
    I'll admit that our flawed human nature is a cause for misinterpretation, but aren't christians indwelt with the spirit of God, and consequently enabl ...[text shortened]... , what example would you give that would illustrate how I 'gloss over' evidence in the text?
    Have you ever read it critically?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 10:281 edit
    Would you explain why it is that I hear the voice of a single author of the 66 books of the bible?
    It is easy to explain. You believe that they are the word of God and as such you interpret them. If you did not have that prior belief you would see no such pattern.
    I noticed that you avoided ahosyneys more difficult questions.

Have you read the other books? (the apocrypha etc) What about the book of Mormon?
    Do they sound like someone else and are you sure that 'feeling' isn't just based on your prior belief that the 66 books are the only right ones?
  3. London
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 10:45
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Have you ever read it critically?
    Have you?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 12:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is easy to explain. You believe that they are the word of God and as such you interpret them. If you did not have that prior belief you would see no such pattern.
    I noticed that you avoided ahosyneys more difficult questions.

Have you read the other books? (the apocrypha etc) What about the book of Mormon?
    Do they sound like someone else and are y ...[text shortened]... at 'feeling' isn't just based on your prior belief that the 66 books are the only right ones?
    Let me try to explain something. I did not have a prior belief that the bible was the word of God prior to my salvation. And not until I had read the bible, as well as the book of mormon, the apocrypha, the pearl of great price, and most of the so called holy books of most major religions, did I realize the singular uniqueness of the bible.
    I did a thorough amount of research into the background of the bible, and after years of reading it I am convinced that it is indeed the word of God.
    I'm not surprised that most people don't believe it. And I know why.
    And I can understand how people can lack the critical thinking skills necessary to avoid falling into a false belief system. I've done it. We all have as we grow up.
    It seems that no matter how hard I try, I am unable to express in words how it is I know the bible is Gods' word. If I say that the truth of it is spiritually comprehended, I risk insulting your intelligence. And mine. I know that to those who don't believe it I sound like an idiot. Or at least delusional.
    It's not much fun.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 13:04
    Let me try to explain something. I did not have a prior belief that the bible was the word of God prior to my salvation. And not until I had read the bible, as well as the book of mormon, the apocrypha, the pearl of great price, and most of the so called holy books of most major religions, did I realize the singular uniqueness of the bible.
    I did a thorough ...[text shortened]... se who don't believe it I sound like an idiot. Or at least delusional.
    It's not much fun.
    Without reference to your last two sentences, do you believe a Christian could benefit from psychotherapy?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 13:20
    So do you think that if at that time you had been given a Bible that had 67 books (say one of the apocryphal books) would you have been able to correctly identify which one did not fit (ie was not the word of God)?

Do you think that other people who currently hold similar beliefs to yours would identify the same 'false' book?

Do you think that the people who chose which books should go into your current Bible were 'inspired' by God in their decisions?

Why does God allow mistakes in translation and do you accept that the version of the Bible you have now must have mistakes? (due to transcription or translation errors)

How sure are you that every bit of every book is the word of God? Can you identify his hand in every paragraph? Many of the books show signs that bits were added or removed at various times so is it your claim that God prevents such additions/deletions unless sanctioned by him? If so why is he so sloppy when it comes to translation/transcription?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So do you think that if at that time you had been given a Bible that had 67 books (say one of the apocryphal books) would you have been able to correctly identify which one did not fit (ie was not the word of God)?

Do you think that other people who currently hold similar beliefs to yours would identify the same 'false' book?

Do you think that the p ...[text shortened]... d of God? Can by him? If so why is he so sloppy when it comes to translation/transcription?

I was 28 when I began to read the bible for the first time. Over the years I have learned enough about the origins of the bible to adamently say that the 66 books contained in the bible are the word of God.

Yes.

Do you think that the people who chose which books should go into your current Bible were 'inspired' by God in their decisions?

No. They didn't have to be 'inspired'. They had available to them those manuscripts that God had preserved.

Why does God allow mistakes in translation and do you accept that the version of the Bible you have now must have mistakes? (due to transcription or translation errors)

I use the King James version. As hard as it is for you to believe that I should beileve that it is inerrant, I do.
    Are you familiar with Westcot and Hort? The King James bible was the 'word of God' for the english speaking world for nearly 400 years until Westcot and Hort produced a translation from a group of manuscripts that were rejected by the translators of the King James.
    All subsequent translations since 1880 are based on the work of Westcot and Hort. They are all corruptions.

you identify his hand in every paragraph? Many of the books show signs that bits were added or removed at various times so is it your claim that God prevents such additions/deletions unless sanctionedHow sure are you that every bit of every book is the word of God? Can by him? If so why is he so sloppy when it comes to translation/transcription?

Yes I do. While it is true that the word of God is divinely inspired and preserved, if one reads the commentaries long enough, sooner or later one will begin to believe there are errors in Gods' word.
    The error isn't in Gods' word. The error is in mans' word.

Look, I've read a dozen translations. I know the diferences.
    You can google this in a second if you want. Compare 1John 5:7 with any number of translations and see what you see. Compare them with the King James!
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:56
    Would you explain why it is that I hear the voice of a single author of the 66 books of the bible?
    Because you're tone deaf?

Because you ignore facts about your own book that are inconvenient?

Because you begin with the conclusion and construct your argument around that?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 03:17
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Without reference to your last two sentences, do you believe a Christian could benefit from psychotherapy?
    No, I don't.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 03:40
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Have you?
    I don't attempt to justify my lifestyle based upon it.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 05:252 edits
    It seems that no matter how hard I try, I am unable to express in words how it is I know the bible is Gods' word. If I say that the truth of it is spiritually comprehended, I risk insulting your intelligence. And mine. I know that to those who don't believe it I sound like an idiot. Or at least delusional.
    It's not much fun.[/b]
    John 6:66 "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will you also go away?" Then Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." I think this best sums it up for me. One can attack the authenticity of what is said, however, the truth of the words that resenate within the believer as if eating manna from heaven are unmistakable. The words spoken either resenate within ones heart as being the truth or they do not.
  12. Standard membertheprotectors
    Gandalf's Hero.
    And I should say????
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 12:41
    Was it not 13 desiples?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree