1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 10:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    improvements to what? underwear?

yes, create a force field underwear, complete with "phasing into another universe technology" and when the nuke detonates, the underwear shifts the wearer out of the way into a parallel universe (to account for the kinetic force), and after the blast is passed, shift him back here, and protect the wearer from radiation. ...[text shortened]... be made victoria secret sexy. (the subject is an underwear model, my explanation requires it)
    Ummm. No.

See the basis of this discussion is whether there are parts of your religious
    beliefs that are contradicted by science.

So we are looking here for valid scientific options and not star trek technobabble.

Nothing even remotely human, is going to survive a nuclear blast at point blank
    range wearing any kind of clothing.

Even if you build an iron man style suit that can handle the heat and radiation
    the person inside is still going to be converted into soup by the g-forces and
    shockwave.

Sure I can make up star trek technobabble magic solutions... Just as people can
    make up any kind of nonsense about gods and say they do it by magic.

However the question here is whether your religion is compatible with actual science
    and not Hollywood 'science'.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 10:14
    i think someone mentioned on this forum or i read somewhere that there is a limit to how small we can make nukes nowadays.
    Ummm. Yes... me in the post under the one you're quoting....
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 09:331 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ummm. No.

See the basis of this discussion is whether there are parts of your religious
    beliefs that are contradicted by science.

So we are looking here for valid scientific options and not star trek technobabble.

Nothing even remotely human, is going to survive a nuclear blast at point blank
    range wearing any kind of clothing.

Even if yo ...[text shortened]... here is whether your religion is compatible with actual science
    and not Hollywood 'science'.
    oh well why didn't you say so in the first place.

i understand now: we are talking only about the current state of science, not how it might be improved in the future. i thought we were talking how jesus, if he existed, must have had science we don't know (magic if you will). but sure, let's discuss how humans have not resurrected another human (yet). it will totally have meaning in anything we wish to prove(or disprove) about jesus

ok, i agree, with the science today, WE can only resurrect a dog, not a human, after at most 3 hours with special precautions taken to preserve the body.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 09:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ummm. Yes... me in the post under the one you're quoting....
    cute
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 13:35
    improvements to what? underwear?

yes, create a force field underwear, complete with "phasing into another universe technology" and when the nuke detonates, the underwear shifts the wearer out of the way into a parallel universe (to account for the kinetic force), and after the blast is passed, shift him back here, and protect the wearer from radiation. ...[text shortened]... be made victoria secret sexy. (the subject is an underwear model, my explanation requires it)
    That's all well and good, your butt and genitals might come out unscathed but the rest of you not covered by your magic underwear? Not so good🙂
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 19:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That's all well and good, your butt and genitals might come out unscathed but the rest of you not covered by your magic underwear? Not so good🙂
    that's what the anti-radiation shield is for. keeps you safe from radiation when you return from the paralel universe (which is guaranteed to not have a nuke exploded right that second). common man, pay attention.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '13 23:47
    cute
    I thought so.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 08:34
    oh well why didn't you say so in the first place.

i understand now: we are talking only about the current state of science, not how it might be improved in the future. i thought we were talking how jesus, if he existed, must have had science we don't know (magic if you will). but sure, let's discuss how humans have not resurrected another human (yet). ...[text shortened]... dog, not a human, after at most 3 hours with special precautions taken to preserve the body.
    We are talking about science today and what is possible, not what might be possible in the future. That would give scope for fundamentalist's to state whatever nonsense they liked and then claim 'but you don't know what scientific advancements will happen in the future'.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 09:21
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    We are talking about science today and what is possible, not what might be possible in the future. That would give scope for fundamentalist's to state whatever nonsense they liked and then claim 'but you don't know what scientific advancements will happen in the future'.
    That and the fact (as made clear in "The Relativity of Wrong"😉 that as our
    understanding of nature through science gets better the scope for science
    being wrong gets smaller.

for example.

The likelihood of ever accelerating a particle to beyond the speed of light
    at any time in the future no matter how much we learn is so unbelievably
    small that we can treat it as being effectively zero.

The Theory Of Special Relativity is so incredibly well established and tested
    that we can be as certain as it's possible to be that accelerating past light
    speed is impossible, and always has been and always will be.

Similarly, we can be highly confident that nobody will ever be resurrected
    after 3~4 days of being dead (as opposed to being in a coma) without being
    in some kind of stasis/suspended animation chamber (which may not in itself
    be possible) as in that time the information stored in the brain required to
    rebuild that persons personality will be securely erased.

We can always be wrong, What changes is by how much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree