1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 02:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you have no idea why I come here, but nevertheless reject any explanation I give?
    I cannot reject what you do not offer.
    You guys have been asked repeatedly why you continue coming here.
    In this situation, one of you offered another thread which seemingly answered that question, but proved to be just another example of non-response... but we were all supposed to oooh and ahhh over the fact that it was referenced with a thread number and everything, so it must be authoritative.

I spent the required minutes reading through each and every post of the seven page thread and found exactly what you guys have offered since day one: absolutely nothing.
    No reason, whatsoever.

Lonely people, huh.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 05:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    One can choose to believe whatever. I choose to believe the truth.
    I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth. That is why most of us do not describe it as 'choice' as we feel the result is forced by the evidence. So we typically do not consider it possible for us to choose to believe the moon is made of cheese even though theoretically that choice is available to all.

What evidence do you have that God doesn't exist?
    This might be worth of its own thread. But let me try and summarize:
    1. All evidence for Gods existence that I have come across has not stood up to scrutiny. A lack of positive evidence, is a form of negative evidence.
    2. The existence of evil. The existence of pain and suffering contradicts the existence of an omnipotent, loving God.

I think anything more I could say would fall into one of those categories.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 05:51
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    In this situation, one of you offered another thread which seemingly answered that question, but proved to be just another example of non-response... but we were all supposed to oooh and ahhh over the fact that it was referenced with a thread number and everything, so it must be authoritative.
    So, not only do you have no idea why we come here, reject any explanations we offer, but you pretend that you can't even see them.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 05:53
    I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth. That is why most of us do not describe it as 'choice' as we feel the result is forced by the evidence. So we typically do not consider it possible for us to choose to believe the moon is made of cheese even though theoretically that choice is available to all.

[b]What evidence do you hav ...[text shortened]... otent, loving God.

If that's all, then you have no evidence that God does not exist.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 08:21
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    In this situation, one of you offered another thread which seemingly answered that question, but proved to be just another example of non-response... but we were all supposed to oooh and ahhh over the fact that it was referenced with a thread number a ...[text shortened]... s have offered since day one: absolutely nothing.
    No reason, whatsoever.

Lonely people, huh.
    You really are a bit of a pathetic liar, aren’t you? On page 6 of this thread you said that reasons for posting had been given, and yet now you say that no reasons were given. So which is it?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 08:571 edit

What evidence do you have t mnipotent, loving God.

I think everyone chooses to believe what they think is the truth.

Yes, twhitehead: "chooses to believe..." Question: how many different truths can exist on any given question?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 09:291 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Question: how many different truths can exist on any given question?
    It depends on the question. For your question above, I would think a near infinite number, depending on how your question is interpreted. (I am giving only one)
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 11:27
    Question: how many different truths can exist on any given question?
    Depends on the question.

Q. What am I thinking.

A. I don't know. (TRUE)
    A. Having rampant sex with your wife. (probably true)
    A. What's for dinner?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 15:47
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Depends on the question.

Q. What am I thinking.

A. I don't know. (TRUE)
    A. Having rampant sex with your wife. (probably true)
    A. What's for dinner?
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Depends on the question.

Q. What am I thinking. [An open ended personal question calls for a guess or subjective conjecture; truth is absolute.]

A. I don't know. (TRUE)
    A. Having rampant sex with your wife. (probably true) [In reply to your unintended hypothetical, there's a timeline disconnect since Evelyn departed this life just before noon on Thursday, January 9, 2003, over eleven years ago]
    A. What's for dinner?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 15:53
    It depends on the question. For your question above, I would think a near infinite number, depending on how your question is interpreted. (I am giving only one)
    Does God exist?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 16:39
    Does God exist?
    It depends on whether you are asking for opinions, or asking in a strictly logical boolean manner. Obviously for the latter there is only one possible truth. And I think we were both well aware of that from the beginning. So why did you ask? Stop boring us and get to the point.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 17:05
    It depends on whether you are asking for opinions, or asking in a strictly logical boolean manner. Obviously for the latter there is only one possible truth. And I think we were both well aware of that from the beginning. So why did you ask? Stop boring us and get to the point.
    "Does God exist?"

Only two unequivocal answers: yes; or no. The question in context is rhetorical and unrelated to which answer you choose.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 17:13
    "Does God exist?"

Only two unequivocal answers: yes; or no. The question in context is rhetorical and unrelated to which answer you choose.
    So do you have a point?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 19:14
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You really are a bit of a pathetic liar, aren’t you? On page 6 of this thread you said that reasons for posting had been given, and yet now you say that no reasons were given. So which is it?
    Really?
    On page six, you blithering dolt, I call you out for referencing a thread which offered SEVEN PAGES of obfuscation, distraction and general avoidance; 102 posts of discussion, wherein atheists were asked why they are here, and of all 102 posts, two and one half spurious reasons were given.

I told you what those two and one half reasons were: one person claimed to be interested in the psychological aspects of believing in something so ridiculous, another who claimed to mine the spirituality forum for nuggets of wisdom from a agnostic/atheistic viewpoint and the final atheist who needed to have their understanding of atheism clarified.

Do you see the common theme there?
    Not a single cogent reason among those whopping two and one half answers.

Yet the atheists continue to claim the issue is 'asked and answered,' similar to what you did when you first referenced that earlier thread.
    Here's the answer: no answer.

Why is the atheist so loathe to give their answer?
    Is it because they recognize how absurd their obsession renders their position?

I consider the majority of popular music crap, unworthy of affection, attention or admiration.
    Curiously, I don't spend hours on end polluting forums dedicated to Christina Perri, Jason Mraz, Plain White T's and et al, with my diatribes against their slop.
    And their garbage has far more impact on today's populace than anything found in these forums.

Even still, the atheists here persist.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 19:51
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    Translation: The reason atheists win all the debates here is not because they have better positions and better arguments, it is because they are dishonest (they are not atheist, but instead “God-haters&rdquo😉, cheaters (“The atheist refuses to stick with the rules&rdquo😉, better debaters (“He will win small, unimportant battles of semantics, most times against those ...[text shortened]... t want to change your position, these are the types of things you have to lie to yourself about.
    I don't recall saying atheists win all the debates.
    In fact, if the standard rules of debate were applied, atheists would end up looking officially like the children they behave on here.

You and your cohorts are petulant schoolyard bullies.
    Maybe you see this forum as your opportunity to 'get back' at all those kids who were better at sports when you were younger, but whatever the reason, you're resorting to the same tactics you so vehemently abhorred when you were on the receiving end.

Changing the rules of the game in order to confer advantage to your inferior position.
    Refusing to stay on topic.
    Attacking the person.
    All pusillanimous tactics.
    Weak.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree