1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:08
    Are you a Sinner in the Hands of an Angry God? Are you condemned to Hell? You've been wicked. Your soul floats above the pit of hell. The only thing separating you from hell is air. The only thing holding you above hell is God's hand. He is an angry God who utterly despises you. When was the last time you prayed? Have you done your Work before Play ethic?

Point:

Can one connect the sermon, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God (1700-1800) to an attitude - the fear of death, that still exists today?
  2. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:23
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Are you a Sinner in the Hands of an Angry God? Are you condemned to Hell? You've been wicked. Your soul floats above the pit of hell. The only thing separating you from hell is air. The only thing holding you above hell is God's hand. He is an angry God who utterly despises you. When was the last time you prayed? Have you done your Work before Play ethic?
    ...[text shortened]... Hands of an Angry God (1700-1800) to an attitude - the fear of death, that still exists today?
    God is a loving God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:26
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    God is a loving God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We're talking Puritan theology. So stop shouting! Stop having FuN!
  4. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:30
    We're talking Puritan theology. So stop shouting! Stop having FuN!
    I am not shouting!
  5. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:38
    I am not shouting!
    You're a witch! Be hanged! Or, to prove your innocence, jump off this here cliff. If you float, you're guilty, and you must fly back to be hanged. If not, then you die an honorable death!
  6. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 00:41
    You're a witch! Be hanged! Or, to prove your innocence, jump off this here cliff. If you float, you're guilty, and you must fly back to be hanged. If not, then you die an honorable death!
    okay whatever
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 01:11
    I greatly fear death, which is why I became a Christian. I think that God might be so vile and disgusting that He'll send me to Hell if I don't worship Him. Of course, the vile God might send everyone to Hell anyway, whether they worship Him or not. I find "Pascal's Wager" compelling. Better to worship and be wrong than to not worship and spend eternity in Hell.
  8. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 01:30
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I greatly fear death, which is why I became a Christian. I think that God might be so vile and disgusting that He'll send me to Hell if I don't worship Him. Of course, the vile God might send everyone to Hell anyway, whether they worship Him or not. I find "Pascal's Wager" compelling. Better to worship and be wrong than to not worship and spend eternity in Hell.
    yeah but being a Christian is accepting in Jesus and willing to serve him!!
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 01:59
    yeah but being a Christian is accepting in Jesus and willing to serve him!!
    I'll serve Him, if that's what He demands to keep me out of Hell.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 02:001 edit
    I'll serve Him, if that's what He demands to keep me out of Hell.
    How will you know what 'he' demands of you?
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 02:05
    Originally posted by amannion
    How will you know what 'he' demands of you?
    When (if?) I get to heaven, I suppose He'll tell me what He wants me to do. While on this planet, I think that He wants me to help others.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 02:17
    When (if?) I get to heaven, I suppose He'll tell me what He wants me to do. While on this planet, I think that He wants me to help others.
    Isn't it a bit late at that stage.
    If this god creature demands certain things of you now, in order to escape hell, then you surely need to know about these things now. Otherwise you can kiss Pascal goodbye.
    My question is how do you know what is demanded of you? You 'think' that you are supposed to help others. How do you 'know' this?
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 02:49
    Originally posted by amannion
    Isn't it a bit late at that stage.
    If this god creature demands certain things of you now, in order to escape hell, then you surely need to know about these things now. Otherwise you can kiss Pascal goodbye.
    My question is how do you know what is demanded of you? You 'think' that you are supposed to help others. How do you 'know' this?
    According to my understanding of the NT, the only thing that Christ "demands" in order for me to escape judgement and hellfire is to acknowledge that Christ is God, and to acknowledge that His death on the cross is "payment in full" for all sins that I have committed on this planet.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 02:54
    According to my understanding of the NT, the only thing that Christ "demands" in order for me to escape judgement and hellfire is to acknowledge that Christ is God, and to acknowledge that His death on the cross is "payment in full" for all sins that I have committed on this planet.
    Doesn't sound all that convincing.

According to your understanding of the NT ...?

Given your stated fear of death and desire to escape hell, wouldn't it be prudent to be a little more sure of yourself?
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 03:262 edits
    I heard about this famous sermon, though I never read it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Are you a Sinner in the Hands of an Angry God?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are TWO hands which hold me.

1.) The hand of the Son of God - a hand of unfailing LOVE:

"And I give them eternal life, and they shall by no means perish forever, and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." (John 10:28)

2.) The hand of the Father - a hand of unfailing POWER:

"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one can snatch them out of My Father's hand." (John 10:29)

These two, the Son's hand of love and the Father's hand of power, are really one divine hand:

"I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)

++++++++++++++++++++
    Are you condemned to Hell?
    +++++++++++++++++++++

I am neither condemned to eternal perdition nor self condemned.

The Son's hand of love and the Father's hand of power assure me that "and they shall by no means perish forever"

Furthermore, I am not self condemned by my conscience either:

"There is now then no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death." (Romans 8:1,2)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You've been wicked. Your soul floats above the pit of hell.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My past is now at the right hand of God - Jesus Christ.

My legacy is enthroned at the right hand of God.

My history is Jesus Christ.

My past, my legacy, and my history are now and forever Christ.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The only thing separating you from hell is air.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At one time Yes. Satan even attempted to have me kill myself in that state to perish all the quicker.

But praise God I found out that "Him who did not sin He made sin on our behalf that we might become the righteusness of God in Him." (2 Cor. 5:21)

Did you see that? Rejoice with me. We believers have become the righteousness of God in Christ. He carried up our sins in His body on to the cross.

Now He indwells us so that we are being subjectively saved dispositionally as well as judicially forever:

"For if we, being enemies, were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more we will be saved in His life, having been reconciled." (Rom. 5:10)

Much more! Much more, having been reconciled through His death, we are now being inwardly saved in His life.

You asked. Having been positionally saved we are now being dispositionally saved within by the treasure of His divine life in our earthen vessels:

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us." (2 Cor. 3:7)

+++++++++++++++++++++
    The only thing holding you above hell is God's hand.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You must admit those verses about the Son's hand of love and the Father's hand of power must be comforting to all those who have put their trust in Christ's redemption.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    He is an angry God who utterly despises you. When was the last time you prayed? Have you done your Work before Play ethic?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Lord Jesus. I simply thank You that You became sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in You. Lord Jesus I simply receive this wonderful gift of Your redemption and Your forgiveness. I receive You Lord as my Lord and Savior.

I trust Lord Jesus, not in my ability to turn over a new leaf or improve myself. I trust You Lord to live in me and grow in me. Lord my trust is not in myself. My trust is forevermore in what You are within my heart.

Thank you Lord Jesus that in you I have found Life. Amen."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree