Age of the universe even more accurately:

Age of the universe even more accurately:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
03 Nov 12

Their method is so precise they say the error rate of their technique is just 160,000 years????? In anything else this would be a huge error LOL

I'm in the same camp as R.C. on this I don't necessarily buy young earth but I do believe an intelligent being designed the universe before anyone gets on a high horse to criticize design think about this we can't even design our ways out of a wet paper bag

Manny

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 12

Originally posted by menace71
Their method is so precise they say the error rate of their technique is just 160,000 years????? In anything else this would be a huge error LOL

I'm in the same camp as R.C. on this I don't necessarily buy young earth but I do believe an intelligent being designed the universe before anyone gets on a high horse to criticize design think about this we can't even design our ways out of a wet paper bag

Manny
That is a huge error, if in fact, the universe is around 10,000 years old. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 12

101 evidences for a young age of the earth and the universe

http://creation.com/age-of-the-earth

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
03 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by nonamesleftatall
Erm I worked with the WOLAS team and CERN in CBM with Oxford university last month and the Astronomical society in Paris - which was a part of the data used to age the universe!!! I am a professor in Quantum Mechanics and lecture in a reputable university in London - I also happen to someone who prayers for about an hour or two a day. So what on ear ...[text shortened]... faith and view on creationism?? Do so but don't do any of the former without a little research!
For somebody who proclaims to be a 'professor' your written grammar sucks more than a duck's anus.

God is a man-made, artifactual, fear of being unable to explain the obvious; at least to those with some decent mental state of well-being.

I pity your students, if you are indeed a PhD.

Edit 2: Do Buddhists believe in god?

No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origin in fear.

The Buddha says:
"Gripped by fear men go to the sacred mountains,
sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines".

Primitive man found himself in a dangerous and hostile world. The fear of wild animals; of not being able to find enough food; of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes was constantly with him. Finding no security, he created the idea of gods in order to give him comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong.

To this day, you will notice that people become more religious at times of crises, and you will hear them say that the belief in a god or gods gives them the strength they need to deal with life. You will hear them explain that they believe in a particular god because they prayed in time of need and their prayer was answered. All this seems to support the Buddha’s teaching that the god-idea is a response to fear and frustration.

The Buddha taught us to try to understand our fears, to lessen our desires and to calmly and courageously accept the things we cannot change. He replaced fear, not with irrational belief but with rational understanding.

The second reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is because there does not seem to be any evidence to support this idea. There are numerous religions, all claiming that they alone have god’s words preserved in their holy book, that they alone understand god’s nature and that their god exists and that the gods of other religions do not.
Some claim that god is masculine, some that she is feminine and others that it is neuter.
They are all satisfied that there is ample evidence to prove the existence of their god but they laugh in disbelief at the evidence other religions use to prove the existence of another god.

It is not surprising that with so many different religions, spending so many centuries trying to prove the existence of their gods, that still no real, concrete, substantial or irrefutable evidence has been found. Buddhists suspend judgement until such evidence is forthcoming.

The third reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is that the belief is not necessary. Some claim that the belief in a god is necessary in order to explain the origin on the universe. But Buddhists believe this is not so.
Science has very convincingly explained how the universe came into, being without having to introduce the god-idea. Some claim that belief in god is necessary to have a happy, meaningful life.
Again we can see that this is not so. There are millions of atheists and free-thinkers, not to mention many Buddhists, who live useful, happy and meaningful lives without belief in a god.
Some claim that belief in god’s power is necessary because humans, being weak, do not have the strength to help themselves. Once again, the evidence indicates the opposite. One often hears of people who have overcome great disabilities and handicaps, enormous odds and difficulties, through their own inner resources, through their own efforts and without belief in a god.
Some claim that god is necessary in order to give man salvation. But this argument only holds good if you accept the theological concept of salvation and Buddhists do not accept such a concept.

Based on his own experience, the Buddha saw that each human being had the capacity to purify the mind, develop infinite love and compassion and perfect understanding. He shifted attention from the heavens to the heart, and He encouraged us to find solutions to our problems through self-understanding.

So as an expert in Quantum Mechanics, as you portray and don't believe a word of what you write, please tell me how you profess to hoping for results from a non-proven entity, when your mathematics tells you it doesn't exist?

What do you lecture to your students about your own beliefs? I hope NOTHING, as that would be defined as 'indoctrination'!!

-m.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
03 Nov 12

Originally posted by nonamesleftatall
Erm I worked with the WOLAS team and CERN in CBM with Oxford university last month and the Astronomical society in Paris - which was a part of the data used to age the universe!!! I am a professor in Quantum Mechanics and lecture in a reputable university in London - I also happen to someone who prayers for about an hour or two a day. So what on ear ...[text shortened]... faith and view on creationism?? Do so but don't do any of the former without a little research!
So what is your feeling on the Higgs Particle ? They believe they may have finally discovered it ?

Manny

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
03 Nov 12

Originally posted by mikelom
For somebody who proclaims to be a 'professor' your written grammar sucks more than a duck's anus.

God is a man-made, artifactual, fear of being unable to explain the obvious; at least to those with some decent mental state of well-being.

No, we do not. There are ...[text shortened]... your own beliefs? I hope NOTHING, as that would be defined as 'indoctrination'!!

-m.
He is no professor, nor does he have a Ph.D.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 12
2 edits

Originally posted by mikelom

No, we do not. There are your own beliefs? I hope NOTHING, as that would be defined as 'indoctrination'!!

-m.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha

According to this article on the Buddha it means "the awakened one." However, in the shown depiction of him, he is asleep. If the Buddha had uncrossed his legs, stood up, opened his eyes, and looked around, he should have seen many evidences of the creations of God.

To say there is no evidence of God shows that he was not awake at all. Those that continue to believe in the Buddha after all these many years, since God was manifest in the flesh, shows how asleep his followers are too.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
(! Timothy 3:16 KJV)

Not only do we have the creation as testimony of the existence of God and his appearing in the flesh, we also have the testimony of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures, the empty tomb, the Shroud of Turin, and the Sudarium of Oviedo as proof that He was manifest in the flesh, crucified, placed in the tomb, and arose from the dead as He prophesied.

However, as the apostle Peter prophesied scoffers and mockers willfullly continue in their ungodly ways. (2 Peter 3)

rc

Moves
03 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Do you also deny your previous claim Jesus was first created by God as Michael the Archangel? If Jesus the Christ is the only begotten Son of God, how then is He created? The Holy bible says of the Son:

"For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all t ...[text shortened]... be true if it took millions of years because there would be billions of evenngs and mornings.
I am not getting into another futile debate about your extra biblical trinitarian pagan
dogma, the Bible states that Christ was a created entity, end of.

rc

Moves
03 Nov 12
1 edit

Manny
wow, we agree on something, who would have thought. 🙂

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
03 Nov 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha

According to this article on the Buddha it means "the awakened one." However, in the shown depiction of him, he is asleep. If the Buddha had uncrossed his legs, stood up, opened his eyes, and looked around, he should have seen many evidences of the creations of God.

To say there is no evidence of God shows t ...[text shortened]... e Peter prophesied scoffers and mockers willfullly continue in their ungodly ways. (2 Peter 3)
You are so thick, it verges on impossibly thick!

-m.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I am not getting into another futile debate about your extra biblical trinitarian pagan
dogma, the Bible states that Christ was a created entity, end of.
Show me in the Holy Bible. I don't think you can. 😏

rc

Moves
03 Nov 12

Show me in the Holy Bible. I don't think you can. 😏
I have showed you a zillion times, I will not do so again.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I have showed you a zillion times, I will not do so again.
You can't show me because it is not there. 😏

rc

Moves
03 Nov 12

You can't show me because it is not there. 😏
you talking about the trinity, yup, your right, its not there.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Nov 12
3 edits

Manny
Are you new to science or something?
It's out 160,000 years which is an accuracy of one part in 28,000 and you are BITCHING that it is what, not within 1 microsecond or some such rot?

Take a look at our environment in the Universe, our local stuff like the Milky way. We have ONE perspective and have to deduce everything from our one little place in the universe, we only have a maximum 300 year slice of time to do all the work that leads to accurate dating of the universe.

It would be a lot different if we had a space craft capable of doing, say, a trillion times faster than the speed of light and go out and just run a ruler out the back end of the spacecraft or something, it would be a no brainer to fix the age of the universe and to see billions of stars in various stages of development beginning to their end in a Nova or supernova.

Give me a break.

I just can't understand what goes through the mind of people who think the Earth is 6000 years old, just stand on the top of the Grand Canyon or look at the layers exposed in the Colorado Rockies and it is as obvious as the nose on your face that the Earth is at LEAST many millions of years old. Krikey, there are Bristle cone pines older than 6000 years.

RJ is so thick headed he can't see the forest for the trees.