Agnostic forum

Agnostic forum

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
11 Nov 05
2 edits

ag·nos·tic
n.

One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

Okay with that being said, let's have a discussion amongst people who can admit they really don't know a ****ing thing but are open to suggestions? So far, the most common religious beliefs of the world that I have explored have not done it for me.

I am not interested in discussing why they haven't done anything for me.

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by Joe Fist
ag·nos·tic
n.

One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

Okay with that being said, let's have a discussion amongst people who can admit they really don't know a ****ing thing but are ...[text shortened]... ar, the most common religious beliefs of the world that I have explored have not done it for me.
I tried to help, but I'm just not that into it.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by Nyxie
I tried to help, but I'm just not that into it.
That's cool. I am not that into either but with the creation of your thread I didn't want to be left out ๐Ÿ˜‰

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Nov 05

ag·nos·tic
n.

Okay with that being said, let's have a discussion amongst people who can admit they really don't know a ****ing thing but are ...[text shortened]... not done it for me.

I can't decide whether there should be an Agnostic Forum or not as there seems to be insufficient evidence either way.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I can't decide whether there should be an Agnostic Forum or not as there seems to be insufficient evidence either way.
Good point but for now there is one and this is it until we all get bored of it ๐Ÿ™‚

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Nov 05

Good point but for now there is one and this is it until we all get bored of it ๐Ÿ™‚
Done.๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Nov 05

ag·nos·tic
n.

Okay with that being said, let's have a discussion amongst people who can admit they really don't know a ****ing thing but are ...[text shortened]... not done it for me.

Wh'd'ya wanna discuss? Obscure ideas and religions?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Nov 05

ag·nos·tic
n.

What, in your opinion, is "true" atheism?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by rwingett
RWillis returns to the ring! Welcome back!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
RWillis returns to the ring! Welcome back!
I've been lurking for a few days now. I couldn't resist the temptation of arguing about atheism some more.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
11 Nov 05

Oh I don't really have an opinion on "true atheism". Sorry I just copied this definition without reading it 100%, I admit it. If I were to attempt to define it I guess I would speculate a "true atheist" would be someone who flat out believes that there is no existence of any kind after we die.

I really don't have an opinion on Atheism either way. Not a strong one although I don't subscribe to it.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
11 Nov 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Wh'd'ya wanna discuss? Obscure ideas and religions?
Not really but since we are on the subject, isn't it somewhat reasonable that a story about:

The 1st man and woman of the world foregoing paradise by eating an apple suggested by a serpent who was really one of our Supreme being's fallen children.

The Supreme being of this world instructing a man to construct a very large boat to load up each sex of each species in preparation of a world wide devistating flood.

This Supreme being sending his only son (being born through via a "virgin'๐Ÿ˜‰ to die for all the sins of mankind only to arise 3 days after his death

obscure?

Isn't it possible that at one time Christianity was considered obscure?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
11 Nov 05

Oh I don't really have an opinion on "true atheism". Sorry I just copied this definition without reading it 100%, I admit it. If I were to attempt to define it I guess I would speculate a "true atheist" would be someone who flat out believes that there is no existence of any kind after we die.

I really don't have an opinion on Atheism either way. Not a strong one although I don't subscribe to it.
Your definition of atheism is completely and utterly incorrect. Atheism is not a belief at all, or in anything. It is the absence of belief in any gods. Nothing more. If you break the word down, you'll see it literally means to be without theism (a=without, theism=belief in a god or gods). Thus, atheists have a lack of belief in any gods. They do not (properly speaking) claim to know that god does not exist, although most strongly suspect he does not.

The definition "agnostic" is only useful if you percieve that atheists claim to "know" god does not exist (which they don't). The self professed agnostic tries to position himself between the theist and the strawman atheist. But the fact of the matter is that the term "agnostic" is a complete waste of time. EVERYONE is either a theist or an atheist. You either believe in god, or you don't. If you believe that god exists, then you're a theist. If you are not a theist then you're an atheist (without theism). It doesn't matter whether unsure about it, or very strongly suspect it. If you can't bring yourself to believe that theism is literally true, then you're not a theist, which makes you an atheist. The category of agnosticism is for people who have no real idea what atheism is, and who, in their ignorance, try to distance themselves from it.

Zellulรคrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
11 Nov 05

Where do deists fit in?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Nov 05

Your definition of atheism is completely and utterly incorrect. Atheism is not a belief at all, or in anything. It is the absence of belief in any gods. Nothing more. If you break the word down, you'll see it literally means to be without theism (a=without, theism=belief in a god or gods). Thus, atheists have a lack of belief in any gods. They do not (prop ...[text shortened]... e no real idea what atheism is, and who, in their ignorance, try to distance themselves from it.
That's bad Greek. Atheist comes from the Greek atheos. Since theos is God, atheos means "without God" or "Godless", not "without theism". Thus, atheism if you want to get down to LITERAL meanings is a positive disbelief in God.

Agnostic, on the other hand, is taken from the Greek agnostos or "unknown" or literally "without knowledge" as "gnostos" is knowledge. Thus, an agnostic is a generic term to mean "I lack knowledge enough to hold any view on the matter". "I am agnostic on Alger Hiss' guilt" for example. In the spiritual realm an agnostic says "I don't know if God exists as I have insufficient information to judge". This is quite different even from your atheism, which claims that the theist must "prove" to you a God exists. Agnosticism puts no burden at all on either theist or atheist; it simply says with what I have in front of me, I don't know.