All babies are atheists....?

All babies are atheists....?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
24 Jul 11

Originally posted by KellyJay
We have the vast major of the world believes in one it can be our case study.
Bottom line is still, you DO NOT KNOW what a baby knows, yet you wish it to
agree with you. May as well say you doing to this topic as you claim people
do who believe in God, they make the pieces fit their beliefs, no matter if they
really do or not.
Kelly
A baby cannot conceptualize of a god. I DO KNOW THIS. It is as close to an established fact as you can possibly get. Any claims to the contrary are pure nonsense.

a

Moves
24 Jul 11

No. An atheist takes a position that there is no God.
This is not historically or universally true. Certain Christians and Jewish denomination were once called atheists for rejecting the existence of pagan gods, as well as gods of the Greek pantheons. This is one example and the word was applied appropriately at the time.

the problem with this entire thread is it's about semantics and how language is used. And that's a huge problem because words are relative. I don't think that the question is appropriate in offering any kind of understanding of what it means to be a believer or a non believer. As this question is as well posed as "what does it mean to be a believer or a non believer?"

and I don't think being a baby would be that relevant if you could simply answer that question.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
24 Jul 11

Originally posted by amorphic
This is not historically or universally true. Certain Christians and Jewish denomination were once called atheists for rejecting the existence of pagan gods, as well as gods of the Greek pantheons. This is one example and the word was applied appropriately at the time.

the problem with this entire thread is it's about semantics and how language is used. ...[text shortened]... don't think being a baby would be that relevant if you could simply answer that question.
What it means to be a believer is a potentially tricky question, but what it means to be a non-believer is obvious and straightforward.

Planet Rain

Moves
24 Jul 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
If the Baron said it, then you must believe.
Yeah...kind of like that other dusty old book. What's it called again? I forget.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jul 11

Originally posted by rwingett
A baby cannot conceptualize of a god. I DO KNOW THIS. It is as close to an established fact as you can possibly get. Any claims to the contrary are pure nonsense.
I've not ever said a baby was going to conceptualize a god. I said for all we
know they come into the world with knowledge of the divine due to the process
that life goes through at its beginning. It would not have to be something they
worked out in their brains. I understand you think god is nothing more than
mere thoughts within believers and that is that. You ignore the real possibility
that God can and does reveal Himself to His creation.
Kelly

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
25 Jul 11

I've not ever said a baby was going to conceptualize a god. I said for all we
know they come into the world with knowledge of the divine due to the process
that life goes through at its beginning. It would not have to be something they
worked out in their brains. I understand you think god is nothing more than
mere thoughts within believers and that is ...[text shortened]... . You ignore the real possibility
that God can and does reveal Himself to His creation.
Kelly
He may well do so. But he doesn't reveal himself to babies. His revelations are curiously restricted to those who are capable of understanding what such revelations are.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jul 11

He may well do so. But he doesn't reveal himself to babies. His revelations are curiously restricted to those who are capable of understanding what such revelations are.
Spoken like someone who knows. You see that was all we needed, just tell
everyone that you KNOW how it all works and we can just come to you and
you will tell us what is or is not truth.
Kelly

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
25 Jul 11

Spoken like someone who knows. You see that was all we needed, just tell
everyone that you KNOW how it all works and we can just come to you and
you will tell us what is or is not truth.
Kelly
Can you give us any insight into what this "knowledge" of god might be like? I would be interested in knowing what various kinds of knowledge an undeveloped brain (or some other gland) might have. Decartes thought that the pineal gland was the "seat of the soul", but, hey, what did he know. Right? If you can give me anything other than rank speculation to go on, I would be most appreciative.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
25 Jul 11

"But he doesn't reveal himself to babies."

Does to! Can't you remember?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
25 Jul 11

Can you give us any insight into what this "knowledge" of god might be like? I would be interested in knowing what various kinds of knowledge an undeveloped brain (or some other gland) might have. Decartes thought that the pineal gland was the "seat of the soul", but, hey, what did he know. Right? If you can give me anything other than rank speculation to go on, I would be most appreciative.
"Can you give us any insight into what this "knowledge" of god might be like?"

I can, but you won't listen, so I'm just going to follow you around for the fun of it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jul 11

Sure it is like experiencing the color red, poor comparison, but one nonetheless.
You can read about red, you can get printouts telling you about the color red,
you can gather all the information about various color spectrums to understand
the color red; however, if you cannot see it, you do not get to experience it.
You must have eyes to see.
Kelly