1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 19:20
    If you believe the Bible is trustworthy and is God's revelation to mankind it means you have to believe all of it. You can't pick and choose what you like. If for example you choose only to take the words that Jesus spoke and yet you reject the words of the apostles it means you may as well reject everything because it means you don't trust the scriptures. If you don't trust all of it you may as well trust none of it.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 19:27
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    If you believe the Bible is trustworthy and is God's revelation to mankind it means you have to believe all of it. You can't pick and choose what you like. If for example you choose only to take the words that Jesus spoke and yet you reject the words of the apostles it means you may as well reject everything because it means you don't trust the scriptures. If you don't trust all of it you may as well trust none of it.
    Jesus has the words of eternal life.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 19:50
    This is just an empty platitude. You have a long history of routinely ignoring or dismissing the words of Jesus that are presented to you.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 19:57
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Jesus has the words of eternal life.
    And we don't need the rest of the Bible to clarify his words?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 19:57
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    This is just an empty platitude. You have a long history of routinely ignoring or dismissing the words of Jesus that are presented to you.
    Which words exactly have I ignored or dismissed?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:01
    Which words exactly have I ignored or dismissed?
    Pick just about any post to you where rajk999 quotes Jesus.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:023 edits
    No, it is not an "empty platitude".

Now, I'll tell you what an "empty platitude" is. When you euphemistically use the phrase "the words Jesus spoke while He walked on the Earth" to really mean that you dismiss all that is supernatural in His deeds and words, and dismiss the words and deeds after His resurrection, and dismiss the book of Acts, and dismiss all of the epistles, and dismiss His words spoken in Revelation, and pretend that you have something left that in any way represents the Christian faith, that is an "empty platitude."

When you reject that today Christ has a heavenly ministry and propose to be in any conceivable way a reliable voice interpreting the New Testament, that is empty.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:05
    Pick just about any post to you where rajk999 quotes Jesus.
    You mean where Rajk quotes Jesus and tells me that it means exactly the opposite of what other parts of scripture say?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:052 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    No, it is not an "empty platitude".

Now, I'll tell you what an "empty platitude" is. When you euphemistically use the phrase "the words Jesus spoke while He walked on the Earth" to really mean that you dismiss all that is supernatural in His deeds and words, and dismiss the words and deeds after His resurrection, and dismiss the book of [b]Acts
    , and ...[text shortened]... ave something left that in any way represents the Christian faith, that is an "empty platitude."[/b]
    When have I ever said or even implied that "the words Jesus spoke while He walked on the Earth" "represents the Christian faith"? When have I ever "pretended" to do so?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:07
    When have I ever said or implied that "the words Jesus spoke while He walked on the Earth" "represents the Christian faith"?
    Do you believe all of the Bible, only the parts you like or none of it? You have dodged this question about 10 times now so unless you answer it don't expect me to respond to your questions.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:13
    When have I ever said or even implied that "the words Jesus spoke while He walked on the Earth" "represents the Christian faith"?
    You're too sneaky to come right out and say that.
    We know that it is implied.

Don't waste your breath trying to put a better face on it.
    Some of us can see you coming a mile away.
    Some of us are no strangers to Modernist liberal Christology and destructive higher criticism.

I can see you coming a mile down the road.
    You're another Thomas Jefferson type with his own chopped, spliced and diced version of the New Testament.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:19
    And we don't need the rest of the Bible to clarify his words?
    No you dont. The teachings of Jesus are sufficient and necessary for eternal life.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:26
    Originally posted by sonship
    You're too sneaky to come right out and say that.
    We know that it is implied.

Don't waste your breath trying to put a better face on it.
    Some of us can see you coming a mile away.
    Some of us are no strangers to Modernist liberal Christology and destructive higher criticism.

I can see you coming a mile down the road.
    You're another Thomas Jefferson type with his own chopped, spliced and diced version of the New Testament.
    With all the discussions we've had over the years, have you honestly missed my point that "Christianity" is built upon the words of those other than Jesus? Other than the words that Jesus spoke while He walked the Earth?

Or was the temptation to call me "sneaky" too much for you?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:27
    You mean where Rajk quotes Jesus and tells me that it means exactly the opposite of what other parts of scripture say?
    If it is indeed correct that what Jesus says is the exact opposite of what other parts of the bible say then I would lean towards the teachings of Jesus.

There are several reasons for that, all of which is in the bible:
    - Jesus Christ is the sole authority on eternal life
    - Jesus is the final judge of who enters the Kingdom of God
    - Many other Bible prophets, apostles are less knowledgeable than Jesus
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 20:313 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    No you dont. The teachings of Jesus are sufficient and necessary for eternal life.
    The teaching of Jesus is really Jesus Himself.
    The teaching is the living Person of Christ Himself.

Jesus said that He WAS ... the way and the truth and the life (John 14:6) .

I am so glad that the Apostle John as crystal clear. The way is nothing that we can have apart from the living Person of Christ Himself.

If we don't have Him we don't have the [divine and eternal] life of God. ( 1 John 5:12) .

I labored on more than one thread to try to convey this over the years. It is not things that the Christian believer needs. It is Christ Himself at every turn and every juncture.

And Christ dispenses Himself into the innermost spiritual nucleus of the believer's being, the human spirit. Paul was a absolute pioneer at living by the Person of Christ Himself. And that to the point that he could say it was no longer him that lived but Christ that lived within him. (Gal. 2:20) .

For him to LIVE ... was Christ (Phil. 1:21) .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree