1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 16:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It's simple; I don't know for absolute sure that God exists and nor does anyone else, but I have a measure of faith(that's what faith is for actually filling in the lack of absolute knowledge).

That measure of faith does not extend to allowing a loved one died for some as irrational as a doctrine about blood or even the denial of the God I have that ...[text shortened]... d still not let them die if I could prevent it. Why should someone die because a god exists.
    I think you have some typos or something because I can't quite make out the meaning of some of that.
    Let me summarize what I think you are saying and you can correct me if I am wrong.
    1. You are not entirely sure God exists and won't stake a loved ones life on it.
    2. Some peoples beliefs are irrational and you recognize that they are irrational and wouldn't sacrifice a loved ones life for an irrational belief. I am not really sure why this point is relevant because I don't think someone elses irrational belief is really relevant here. Or do you have some beliefs that you hold but consider irrational?
    3. You can't think of an actual situation in which letting a loved one die would be required in your religion.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you have some typos or something because I can't quite make out the meaning of some of that.
    Let me summarize what I think you are saying and you can correct me if I am wrong.
    1. You are not entirely sure God exists and won't stake a loved ones life on it.
    2. Some peoples beliefs are irrational and you recognize that they are irrational and wou of an actual situation in which letting a loved one die would be required in your religion.
    I am reasonably sure God exits (reasonable is a relative position of course).

I would deny that God exists in order to save a loved one.

I would deny my 'reasonable' beliefs in order to save a loved one.

I would sacrifice all I hold dear in order to save a loved one.

I am weak. However the nature of God is to do exactly the above to save me and you.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 19:52
    Do you think God would disapprove of such action? Is denial of Gods existence something you believe is really really wrong?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 19:55
    I don't think its about denying or not denying, but whether or not you follow the results of a rational thought process over the results of emotion. (I am not in any way saying you are wrong to follow your emotions, and I too would probably do the same).

I am mostly curious because many theists give a very different response (though probably less honest).
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 19:58
    So you won't stake a loved ones life on it. What about your own life? Would you be good suicide bomber material or not? ie if you thought God wanted you to die, would you kill yourself (or allow yourself to be killed due to some action). Would you be a martyr?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 21:15
    Do you think God would disapprove of such action? Is denial of Gods existence something you believe is really really wrong?
    I think people have messed up all through the centuries and God is well able to deal with their pecadilos. ThE God I believe in understands me well and is well versed in my weakenses and more than able to forgive them.

Nervertheless, I don't regard denying God to save a loved one a weakness.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 21:19
    So you won't stake a loved ones life on it. What about your own life? Would you be good suicide bomber material or not? ie if you thought God wanted you to die, would you kill yourself (or allow yourself to be killed due to some action). Would you be a martyr?
    Would I stake my life on it? Would I stake a loved ones life on it? Would I be a suicide bomber? Really? Do you not know anything about me at all?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 01:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it is a defining feature of this forum, that reasoning adults are required to debate scientific facts as if they are open to debate, simply because fundamentalist nutjobs like yourself are unable to believe anything other than what their dogma dictates.

we debate noah's flood, a young earth, evolution, genetics, even though it is proven beyond any rea ...[text shortened]... d the jewish simply ignore it? how insane are you, on a scale of 1 to religious nutjob?
    I never once said it was usless. It has and will continue to save lifes ( temporarily). I've never said it wouldn't.
    But what we want and what God commands are two different things at times and this is one of them.
    If God stated that it was ok to do blood transfusions that that would be different. But he made the law extreemly clear in the Bible to abstain from blood.
    If I was weak in my belief and faith in God and not think for just a bit that he might just know more then me about this, it would be easy to give in like most any human would to save a life of someone I love.
    But this is where faith of my god comes in. If you sart to give up in the faith we are supposed to have and not live your life to the most you can to show your faith in him and the promise we will see our loved ones again after the resurrection starts, then you have a major problem with your belief in God and what he can do.
    As was mentioned Abraham didn't understand what God asked of him, but he obeyed him and knew his son would see life again.
    It sounds like most here would have had a problem if they were asked this same thing that God asked Abraham to do.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 02:00

I would sacrifice all I hold dear in order to save a loved one.

I am weak. However the nature of God is to do exactly the above to save me and you.
    So you are a christian but you are only reasonably sure God exist?
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 03:39
    From the book of Hesitations chapter 10:2

Thou shall not have a blood transfusion !!!

PS: 10:3

Then thou shall use thy holy hand grenade do destroy the infidels LOL

Manny
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 06:51
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So you are a christian but you are only reasonably sure God exist?
    Are you 100% certain God exists?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 08:39
    I think people have messed up all through the centuries and God is well able to deal with their pecadilos. ThE God I believe in understands me well and is well versed in my weakenses and more than able to forgive them.

Nervertheless, I don't regard denying God to save a loved one a weakness.
    I was just curious that when I asked you a question in which you hypothetically do something you think God will definitely disapprove of, one scenario you gave was one in which you deny Gods existence. I am just curious as to whether that is at or near the top of your list of things you think God would disapprove of.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 08:43
    Would I stake my life on it? Would I stake a loved ones life on it? Would I be a suicide bomber? Really? Do you not know anything about me at all?
    I do not know much about you, hence the questions. You don't have to answer them, but then I will continue in my ignorance.
    My understanding is that you would not stake a love ones life on the belief that God exists. Am I mistaken?
    I am now trying to determine whether you would stake you own life on it. My example of a suicide bomber is in reference to the fact that a suicide bomber feels assured that after they die they will go to heaven. I am not talking about the act of killing others. I certainly wasn't trying to offend you.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 17:29
    Are you 100% certain God exists?
    Absolutely. Perhaps this is why I can put the faith I have in him that lets me follow the entire Bible and every word in it.
    I believe that he has a reason if not many reasons to tell us to abstain from blood. So I believe that command.
    But if one does not have full belief that he is for real, then how can one have full faith in him and his knowledge to direct our life's?
    You can't and that is probably the reason you and maybe other christians are not willing to put yourselve's out there and take a chance on God understanding what we may not.
    The Bible says for a reason, to "not put your faith in earthling man" and that would even ourselves and what we think is right.

Jeremiah 17:5
    New Living Translation (NLT)

Wisdom from the Lord
    5 This is what the Lord says:
    “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,
    who rely on human strength
    and turn their hearts away from the Lord.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Sep '12 20:461 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Absolutely. Perhaps this is why I can put the faith I have in him that lets me follow the entire Bible and every word in it.
    I believe that he has a reason if not many reasons to tell us to abstain from blood. So I believe that command.
    But if one does not have full belief that he is for real, then how can one have full faith in him and his knowledg mere humans,
    who rely on human strength
    and turn their hearts away from the Lord.
    But how can you be sure that God disapproves of blood transfusions to save someone's life? As has been pointed out to you, the Holy Bible does not even mention blood transfusions. So aren't you really putting your faith and trust in the decisions of what the watchtower Society says is disapproved by God?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree