1. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 03:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    So which of the speakers in the podcast did you find yourself most in agreement with?
    Neither speaker because both seem to be equating nonbelief and atheism.

Let's define a new term in much the same way as atheism has been redefined. Aknifeism: The nonbelief in the necessity to carry lethal sized knives for protection. On the surface Aknifeism opposes knifeism: The belief in the necessity to carry lethal sized knives for protection.

At the first annual aknifeist convention tensions are running high. As knifeists outside chant the kinfeist slogan, "If they threaten us we will cut their heads off" the aknifeists inside argue over a counter chant.

It seems aknifeists can be divided into at least two very different groups. The ballpoint pen aknifeists don't believe in carrying knives because they are nonviolent. They want to counter chant, "If they threaten us we will try to reason with them". The shotgun aknifeists don't believe in carrying knives because they are not lethal enough. The shotgun aknifeists find themselves drawn to the knifeist chant. They would only change "cut" to "blow".

Clearly there has been a miscategorisation above. Atheism, equivalent with nonbelief in god, is a similar miscategorisation.

Remove atheist from spiritual atheist, agnostic atheist and every other whosit atheist except hard atheist, and ambivalent atheism evaporates.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 03:42
    Originally posted by JerryH
    Remove atheist from spiritual atheist, agnostic atheist and every other whosit atheist except hard atheist, and ambivalent atheism evaporates.
    This is a reflection of how you thought the word "ambivalent" was used in the BBC podcast?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 03:45
    Let's define a new term in much the same way as atheism has been redefined. Aknifeism: The nonbelief in the necessity to carry lethal sized knives for protection. On the surface Aknifeism opposes knifeism: The belief in the necessity to carry lethal sized knives for protection.

At the first annual aknifeist convention tensions are running high. As knifeists outside chant the kinfeist slogan, "If they threaten us we will cut their heads off" the aknifeists inside argue over a counter chant.

It seems aknifeists can be divided into at least two very different groups. The ballpoint pen aknifeists don't believe in carrying knives because they are nonviolent. They want to counter chant, "If they threaten us we will try to reason with them". The shotgun aknifeists don't believe in carrying knives because they are not lethal enough. The shotgun aknifeists find themselves drawn to the knifeist chant. They would only change "cut" to "blow".

This analogy doesn't seem to work on any level.
  4. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 03:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is a reflection of how you thought the word "ambivalent" was used in the BBC podcast?
    "I don't want to be called an atheist" seems to paraphrase the sentiments of ambivalent atheists in the podcast.
  5. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 03:59
    Originally posted by FMF

This analogy doesn't seem to work on any level.
    Why? or what's not working?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 04:17
    Why? or what's not working?
    In your analogy, knifes exist and everyone knows they exist, is that right?

Your "aknifeists" don't want to use knives... how can that possibly be analogous to "atheists" and their perception of the things "theists" believe to exist?

That's like asserting that "atheists" know that God exists - just like "theists" do - but "atheists" don't want to worship the God figure that the "theists" do?

Like I say, your analogy is merely a kind of rhetorical trick and doesn't work on any level.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 04:24
    "I don't want to be called an atheist" seems to paraphrase the sentiments of ambivalent atheists in the podcast.
    Are you absolutely sure you have listened to the podcast?
  8. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 04:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    In your analogy, knifes exist and everyone knows they exist, is that right?

Your "aknifeists" don't want to use knives... how can that possibly be analogous to "atheists" and their perception of the things "theists" believe to exist?

That's like asserting that "atheists" know that God exists - just like "theists" do - but "atheists" don't want to worshi ...[text shortened]...

Like I say, your analogy is merely a kind of rhetorical trick and doesn't work on any level.
    My analogy replaces nonbelief in an existence, with nonbelief in a need. My analogy, as in poorly defined atheism, fails to consider the basis of said nonbelief and results in a confused mess. This is not a rhetorical trick. You have spiritual atheists sitting next to hard atheists in your atheist convention and they don't need to change the theist slogan much!
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:051 edit
    My analogy replaces nonbelief in an existence, with nonbelief in a need. My analogy, as in poorly defined atheism, fails to consider the basis of said nonbelief and results in a confused mess. This is not a rhetorical trick. You have spiritual atheists sitting next to hard atheists in your atheist convention and they don't need to change the theist slogan much!
    In your analogy, do both your "knifeists" and your "aknifeists" believe that knifes exist?
  10. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    In your analogy, do both your "knifeists" and your "aknifeists" believe that knifes exist?
    In my analogy both knifeist and aknifeists believe that knives exist.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:35
    In my analogy both knifeist and aknifeists believe that knives exist.
    So how can it possibly be an analogy for people who have a belief that there is a God and people who do not have a belief that there is a God?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    Ambivalent
    —adjective
    having mixed feelings about someone or something; being unable to choose between two (usually opposing) courses of action: Synonyms- clashing, contradictory, debatable, doubtful, equivocal, fluctuating, hesitant, inconclusive, irresolute, uncertain, unsure, vacillating, etc.

Dear joseph

alert admin!
    your account has been hacked!
    somebody edited your post and removed "confused" from the synonym list.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:45

Originally posted by FMF
    So which of the speakers in the podcast did you find yourself most in agreement with?

JerryH response Neither speaker because both seem to be equating nonbelief and atheism

You must therefore agree with them equally.
    Or are you confused as to which?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:47

atheist
    noun

a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"
    synonyms: non-believer, non-theist, disbeliever, unbeliever, heretic, sceptic, doubter, doubting Thomas, agnostic, infidel, irreligious person, heathen, pagan, freethinker, libertine, nihilist
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 05:50
    The analogy to belief or non-belief in god(s) is
    the belief or non-belief in something else.
    Something else which can neither be proved or disproved.

Russel's teapot for instance.
    Or the FSM.
    Or the house-elf that lives in my daughter's cupboard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree