1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 09:36
    Since the beginning the sun has never failed to rise in the east and set in the west.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 10:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    Since the beginning the sun has never failed to rise in the east and set in the west.
    Absolute? Are you sure?

Would that absolute truth apply to a guy standing at 0 degrees North Latitude in December?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 10:53
    When is 'the beginning'?
    If you stand on the North Pole, the sun just goes round and round.
    Apart from that, I would say yes, it is quite good evidence for the validity of the various theories of gravity and motion is it not? If a body is spinning in space whilst orbiting another larger body, it will likely keep spinning in its orbit for quite some time. Conservation of angular momentum.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 23:28
    Interesting. The length of the day, including the times of “sunrise” and “sunset”, is caused by the rotation of the earth (at least, so say those pesky scientists since Copernicus), not the movement of the sun at all. Still, it’s a reasonable euphemism that we still use. But—

I wonder why God (if the scriptures are his divine revelation) did not bother to clear that up, but was content to let people believe that “stopping the sun in the sky” would actually make the daylight last longer. Or is that an example of revelation speaking metaphorically, rather than presenting the literal facts? If so, what other cases might there be? Or, are those pesky scientists wrong, while those who accept the inerrant and literal truth of scriptural revelation know that the sun goes around the earth?

Of course, not all Christians get all hot and bothered about whether or not the universe was created in exactly six days by word of mouth (or no mouth), and such things…
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 01:34
    There is but one absolute truth and the words are contained in this post.😛
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 05:15
    What do you mean by "absolute truth"? How does your statement that may be true but concerns only part of the universe, differ from other true statements like "this post was posted by user 'twhitehead' "?
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 08:44
    Since the beginning? Of what? An answer of "The Earth" may be incorrect on some level at some point in the past, and you have no way of knowing. Surely this is not a truism on other planets, and how dare you discount those other entities that God has clearly created? Your statement is a crock.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 13:11
    An absolute truth is a truth that aplies everywhere, everywhen, right?

At Uranus the sun rises in the west, and sets in the east.

Not much of an absolute truth, do you think?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 13:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    An absolute truth is a truth that aplies everywhere, everywhen, right?

At Uranus the sun rises in the west, and sets in the east.

Not much of an absolute truth, do you think?
    Come Fab .. even for you thats not nice. How can you tell the guy about his anus ... 😀
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 02:34
    Now you know what that fish in the barrel feels like.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 02:571 edit
    As long as you live on Earth, call east "east" and not say..."west", experience time flowing foward, dont mistake the moon for the sun, have a large enough brain to cognize and construct the concepts needed to understand all those words, etc.😀

A better absolute truth would be : We will all eventually end up visiting the Sun in our 'astral' bodies.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 03:01
    C'mon josephw. Tell us how many lulz you are getting to the feedback to your OP (😛 )
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 15:46
    Thank you all for your replies.

I would like to reply to each post, so, if you all would please allow me some time, I will get to each one.

But, if you please, wait until I have finished making all my replies to each of you before anyone begins to reply again.

That way I can keep track.

Thank you.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 15:46

I would like to reply to each post, so, if you all would please allow me some time, I will get to each one.

But, if you please, wait until I have finished making all my replies to each of you before anyone begins to reply again.

Thank you.

Thank you.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '10 16:58
    except on venus. it is the opposite

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree