1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 11:21
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/debate-rob-day.html

it might qualify as tl;dr. for those who have the time, i recommend it, it is quite educational.
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 11:32
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

it might qualify as tl;dr. for those who have the time, i recommend it, it is quite educational.
    Interesting. I hear the words of Martin Luther ringing out: "Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 13:41
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Interesting. I hear the words of Martin Luther ringing out: "Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."
    Which could be true if there was such a thing as the bible god. Fortunately there is no such god so MLK is dead wrong. In this case reason is the enemy of false religion.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 13:491 edit
    Which could be true if there was such a thing as the bible god. Fortunately there is no such god so MLK is dead wrong. In this case reason is the enemy of false religion.

Unfortunately sonhouse's wishful thinking on the matter of God's non-existence is totally irrelevant.

So you grandstand your personal desire. So what ? Who are you ?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 13:511 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Fortunately there is no such god so MLK is dead wrong. In this case reason is the enemy of false religion.
    He said Martin Luther not Martin Luther King.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 14:08
    Originally posted by sonship
    He said Martin Luther not Martin Luther King.
    the whole concept that reason is the enemy of faith is flawed, many theist have a rational basis for their belief in a creator in fact, the Bible demands it,

faith is the evident demonstration of realities, not yet beheld! Paul writes,

the evident demonstration of realities

The Zen Master
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 14:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://ncse.com/creationism/general/creationevolution-continuum

it is educational. try it. of special interest is the last part:

Atheists, the third major group within materialists, reject the existence of God but tend to be more actively antireligious than the other two. There are about 2,200 members of the best- known atheist group, the American Atheists. Clearly, any single theist organization has far more members than all the materialist organizations combined. If nonbelievers make up between 10 percent and 14 percent of the population, as some polls suggest, the vast majority of them do not join groups of like-minded individuals

you are quite certain of yourself. one might actually say you are religious.
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 20:41

Read it while I really should have been working. Brilliant! If only the debate had been recorded.

--- Penguin.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 22:532 edits
    Atheists, the third major group within materialists, reject the existence of God but tend to be more actively antireligious than the other two. There are about 2,200 members of the best- known atheist group, the American Atheists. Clearly, any single theist organization has far more members than all the materialist organizations combined. If nonbelievers ma ...[text shortened]... , as some polls suggest, the vast majority of them do not join groups of like-minded individuals
    DISCLAIMER: An older friend of mine once explained this to me, I'm not old enough to remember it actually being this way, although you can see this in old movies, or tv shows like 'Mad Men'.

Not long ago, smokers were the majority. It was considered polite to offer a cigarette to others if you were going to smoke. It was assumed that most people smoked. In fact, if one refused, or explained that they didn't smoke, they often got a 'raised eyebrow' in response. It took decades for the scientific facts to sink in, that smoking was a significant cause of lung cancer and that it would shorten one's life. The numbers of smokers, though, did not appreciably reduce until smoking became 'socially unacceptable'. It became something not to be done 'in public' and smokers were considered rude if they did not take non-smokers' health into consideration. Ashtrays are now a relic of the past, and no one I know actually claims to be a smoker. If someone does smoke in public, he is often ostracized.

I believe we are in that phase of Christianity, especially in America, and possibly in Europe as well, where change is afoot. Christianity is still common, in fact, it is still a majority. But it won't always be that way. It is not yet 'socially unacceptable', but it's getting closer all the time. New adherents are becoming less in number every year. People are moving away from God and toward the secular. Church attendance is down. More and more young people I come into contact with on the internet say that "religion is bogus" and claim to be atheist as if there were no other logical choice. It's not yet time for the AntiChrist, but the world is preparing for him more and more. It's getting ready for him. Once Christianity becomes 'socially unacceptable' or very nearly so, the time will finally be right.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Nov '13 23:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    DISCLAIMER: An older friend of mine once explained this to me, I'm not old enough to remember it actually being this way, although you can see this in old movies, or tv shows like 'Mad Men'.

Not long ago, smokers were the majority. It was considered polite to offer a cigarette to others if you were going to smoke. It was assumed that most people smoked ...[text shortened]... Christianity becomes 'socially unacceptable' or very nearly so, the time will finally be right.
    Whoa.

I'm going to start smoking tomorrow.
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 00:27

Not long ago, smokers were the majority. It was considered polite to offer a cigarette to others if you were going to smoke. It was assumed that most people smoked ...[text shortened]... Christianity becomes 'socially unacceptable' or very nearly so, the time will finally be right.
    Of course us atheists, and those of many other religions, since we have no belief in an impending apocalypse brought on by this, see no problem in the decline of Christianity.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 01:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Whoa.

I'm going to start smoking tomorrow.
    Not really necessary. 🙂

Just keep going to church and suggest to your Christian friends who do not regularly go to church to start. Christian fellowship is going to be a pretty big deal in the times ahead.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 02:54
    Not really necessary. 🙂

Just keep going to church and suggest to your Christian friends who do not regularly go to church to start. Christian fellowship is going to be a pretty big deal in the times ahead.
    This post brought to you by Reynolds Aluminum Foil©, serving your headgear needs since 1941.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 07:08

This is just what sunhouse has been wishing for.

The Instructor
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 08:20
    you are quite certain of yourself. one might actually say you are religious.
    Funny, that's how I think on sonhouse too; a kind of Paul before his conversion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree