1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 01:19
    I sometimes hear people refer to certain written accounts (e.g., the bible) as "infallible". What does it mean to say that some written account is "infallible"?
  2. Australia
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 06:53
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I sometimes hear people refer to certain written accounts (e.g., the bible) as "infallible". What does it mean to say that some written account is "infallible"?
    Infallible = foolproof, flawless, perfect, reliable, without error, watertight, dependable etc

Therefore the word should never be used when referring to the bible, which is obviously full of errors, contradictions, ambiguities, misrepresentations etc

Unless of course in the context of…… the bible is NOT infallible
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 15:27
    What does it mean to say that some written account is "infallible"?
    That the account is at least as accurate as a proclamation given by the pope from his special chair.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 15:32
    It basically means the speaker is practicing willful ignorance regarding the process of transmitting orature into text, postulating instead deus ex machina.
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 16:43
    It means that in the context of their belief there is no greater weight given to any other evidence. I suppose it's like wanting to know surety, it is very comforting.

Like people can 'witness' someone 'levitating', as long as they believe it to be so, it is so.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 17:11
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    It means that in the context of their belief there is no greater weight given to any other evidence.
    Almost clear:

It means that in the context of their belief there is no weight given to any other evidence.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 17:20
    It means listening to Whodey. 😛
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 17:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    It means listening to Whodey. 😛
    Who they?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 17:29
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Who they?
    Now your catching on!!
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 18:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Now your catching on!!
    There's nothing equal to wearing clothes and eating food
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 19:08
    It means that the account is true account ie contains no lies, falsehoods etc. Most people who use it in reference to the Bible tend to leave unexplained or deliberately overlook the issues relating to translation, version and interpretation. It is an undeniable fact that any writting of length of less than perfect legal language is subject to multiple interpretations and therefore simply cannot be infalible in all possible interpretations (and most people will admit as such.)
    The issue with the Bible, is that the people who claim it is infalible, and use their own interpretation as the supposedly infalible interpretation, usually cannot give an infalible method for detemining the infalible interpretation.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The issue with the Bible, is that the people who claim it is infalible, and use their own interpretation as the supposedly infalible interpretation, usually cannot give an infalible method for detemining the infalible interpretation.
    Most of 'em don't have a chance in the pages of Faulkner, Joyce, Pynchon, Kundera, Rushdie, ... Yet, they wanna instruct me how to read.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 23:47
    Originally posted by timebombted
    Infallible = foolproof, flawless, perfect, reliable, without error, watertight, dependable etc

Therefore the word should never be used when referring to the bible, which is obviously full of errors, contradictions, ambiguities, misrepresentations etc

Unless of course in the context of…… the bible is NOT infallible
    Most bibles aren't even watertight.
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 22:25
    What does that have to do with anything?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 00:33
    Originally posted by daniel58
    What does that have to do with anything?
    I dont think nordys going to answer you.maybe someone else will....My answer is read the thread again

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree