An infinite past.

An infinite past.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Can you take this all in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTi4v3HveqE
There is nothing new in those catastrophe scenes. I'm sure you, in your brainwashing, would say, the Lord will save us, the rapture is coming so I don't have to worry about such mundane possible catastrophes.

He didn't even mention the hell Earth would go through if a medium sized nova went off a hundred light years away.

The Earth has survived such things before. I don't think I will lose any sleep over it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Apr 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
There is nothing new in those catastrophe scenes. I'm sure you, in your brainwashing, would say, the Lord will save us, the rapture is coming so I don't have to worry about such mundane possible catastrophes.

He didn't even mention the hell Earth would go through if a medium sized nova went off a hundred light years away.

The Earth has survived such things before. I don't think I will lose any sleep over it.
Nor will I. 😏

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
09 Apr 13

How about a concept of no time ? Outside of time? timeless ? We are bound by this universe in which we live and even our brains know time but a concept of no time is hard to comprehend

Manny

Hmmm . . .

Moves
09 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
If you start counting at 1 and count from 1 to 2 in one second, then from 2 to 3 in 1/2 second, from 3 to 4 in 1/4 second, and so forth (1/8, 1/16, etc.), you will have counted every positive integer there is, in two seconds.
It seems to me that since there are an infinite number of positive integers, if your are assuming an infinitely-divisible time line, then you will never reach the 2 seconds end-point; the most that you can say is “in the limit”. If you do not assume infinitely-divisible time—i.e., at some point you actually reach the 2-seconds mark—then you will have counted some finite number of positive integers. (Variation of Zeno's paradox?)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Apr 13

Originally posted by vistesd
It seems to me that since there are an infinite number of positive integers, if your are assuming an infinitely-divisible time line, then you will never reach the 2 seconds end-point; the most that you can say is “in the limit”. If you do not assume infinitely-divisible time—i.e., at some point you actually reach the 2-seconds mark—then you will have counted some finite number of positive integers. (Variation of Zeno's paradox?)
So are implying that as you count; 1, 1.5, 1.75, ... time is actually slowing down for the counter?

Your position would also imply that Achilles never catches the tortoise!

Illinois

Moves
10 Apr 13
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
1. A claim that an infinite past requires 'traversing infinity' which is claimed to be impossible. (though no justification is given).
In a past-infinite universe the present moment would never arrive since an infinite amount of time would have to elapse for it to do so. An infinite amount of time can never finish elapsing because, by definition, infinity is boundless (it is not confined between a past starting point and the present moment), therefore we would never have arrived at the present moment were the past infinite. Since the universe has arrived at the present moment, we can conclude the universe is not past-infinite.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by epiphinehas
In a past-infinite universe the present moment would never arrive since an infinite amount of time would have to elapse for it to do so. An infinite amount of time can never finish elapsing because, by definition, infinity is boundless (it is not confined between a past starting point, or the present moment), therefore we would never have arrived at the ...[text shortened]... e universe has arrived at the present moment, we can conclude the universe is not past-infinite.
Comment withdrawn.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Apr 13

In a past-infinite universe the present moment would never arrive since an infinite amount of time would have to elapse for it to do so. An infinite amount of time can never finish elapsing because, by definition, infinity is boundless (it is not confined between a past starting point and the present moment), therefore we would never have arrived at the ...[text shortened]... rse has arrived at the present moment, we can conclude the universe is not past-infinite.
That is a good argument but flawed.
If the past were infinite it would mean that you could go back [I]any[/I] amount
of years (ie the past is boundless) to [I]any[/I] point - but from that point (and
you can choose any from an infinite number) the time elapsed to the present
would be finite.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Apr 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
So are implying that as you count; 1, 1.5, 1.75, ... time is actually slowing down for the counter?

After giving it some thought, I think vistesd is right in that 2 is not a member of the set. So although you may come infinitely close to 2, you will not include it. I think the solution to Achilles is to realise that he is not restricted to your count. He is allowed to proceed after reaching infinity (which he will do, in finite time(.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Apr 13

In a past-infinite universe the present moment would never arrive since an infinite amount of time would have to elapse for it to do so. An infinite amount of time can never finish elapsing because, by definition, infinity is boundless (it is not confined between a past starting point and the present moment), therefore we would never have arrived at the ...[text shortened]... rse has arrived at the present moment, we can conclude the universe is not past-infinite.
You are making the error of assuming a starting point. An infinite universe does not have a starting point.
There is also a flaw in your logic, in that you are dealing with two infinities and refusing to cancel them off one another.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Apr 13
1 edit

You are making the error of assuming a starting point

You made the same comment to me I think.

Now WHERE is the starting point that epi is assuming ?

The issue is NO STARTNG POINT in an imagined infinite past time universe.
So WHERE are you seeing a starting point which flaws the argument ?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Apr 13

You are making an analogy similar to the 'arrow can never strike you since it would have to cover half the distance and then half of that, etc.'

If the universe is organized how some theories propose, an endless universe of bubble universes where ours is just one, there would be also an infinite number of time zones, our universe being just one of many and our local universe clock starting at the big bang and ending however that is destined to play out. So all the other universes would have their own clocks of time and different time rates also so what would be a second in our universe could be a billion years in another or vice versa or our clocks from another universe being extremely close to ours, maybe each universe having undergone the same BB on a time scale of a higher dimension where such tallies can be distinguished.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Apr 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
You are making an analogy similar to the 'arrow can never strike you since it would have to cover half the distance and then half of that, etc.'

If the universe is organized how some theories propose, an endless universe of bubble universes where ours is just one, there would be also an infinite number of time zones, our universe being just one of many a ...[text shortened]... one the same BB on a time scale of a higher dimension where such tallies can be distinguished.
I suggest you just ignore the idea of other universes, because we don't even know how big our universe is and if there is room for more universes.

The apostle Paul wrote, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

(Philippians 4:6-8 NKJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Apr 13
2 edits

Originally posted by sonship
You are making the error of assuming a starting point

You made the same comment to me I think.

Now WHERE is the starting point that epi is assuming ?

The issue is NO STARTNG POINT in an imagined infinite past time universe.
So WHERE are you seeing a starting point which flaws the argument ?
Twhitehead, You were complaining about me failing to answer some of your questions ?

You were complaining about me writing without understanding?
What was the word you used concerning a post of mine ? "Poppycock?"

If you cannot explain to me WHERE epi assumed a point of start in his explaining the delimma of a infinite past existing universe, I might be tempted to think your complaint was a bit of "poppycock."

WHERE did epi assume a starting point such that his conclusion was an error ?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
10 Apr 13
4 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59

I’m suggesting that for JS357’s example to hold, the time function [f(t)] is continuous to infinity, and the counter never reaches t=2, so the most that one can say is that “in the limit t approaches 2”; to actually reach 2 (for 2 to be a member of the set, as tw put it), the function has to become discontinuous. However, if that happens, then you will not count an infinite number of integers.

I am saying nothing about time, actually: f(t) could be f(x), where x is an unending sequence 1, ½, ¼, . . . (in the example, mapped to the infinite sequence of integers 1, 2, 3, . . . ). The numbers in f(x)chosen for the example are arbitrary in the sense that the “line segment” between each count (say, between 1 and ½ ) is infinitely divisible—you could just as well say 1, 99/100, 98/100, . . .; or, 1, 999/1000, 998/1000, . . . ; or, whatever. And eventually the t-intervals in JS357’s example will become incredibly small (infinitesimal).

However, I know nothing about infinite sets, and maybe there’s some other approach that allows one to reach 2 whilst still counting all members of the infinite set of integers. (My math education really is impoverished. :'( )