An infinite past.

An infinite past.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Apr 13
3 edits

This is what epi posted
In a past-infinite universe the present moment would never arrive since an infinite amount of time would have to elapse for it to do so

An infinite amount of time from when?
A starting point is implicit in the statement surely?
Between which 2 points is your "infinite amount of time"??

Your infinite amount of time is simply before the present moment.

The problem of a specific starting point is not epi's problem. That is the problem of the theorist who puts forth the concept that the universe existed infinitely.

This complaint of yours seems the most subtle reversal stradegy, making the theory's problem the delimma of the one who points out its illogic.

If you agree that there is a problem of no starting point then you agree also that it couldn't have possibly been so. That is how it appears to me.

Go argue with those then proposing that the universe infinitely existed in the past and not with those who indicate a logical problem with the concept.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by sonship
The problem of a specific starting point is not epi's problem. That is the problem of the theorist who puts forth the concept that the universe existed infinitely.

If the past is infinite then it has no starting point!
If you do not understand that concept then there can be no debate.

btw: I am not proposing the past is infinite, just saying that it cannot be resolved either way.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Apr 13
2 edits

If the past is infinite then it has no starting point!
If you do not understand that concept then there can be no debate.

If the past is infinite then there is no starting point.
But this moment is here.
This moment arrived over the passage of infinity. How?

W.L. Craig remarks:

Now someone might say that while an infinite collection cannot be formed by beginning at a point and adding members, nevertheless an infinite collection could be formed by never beginning but ending at a point, that is to say, ending at a point after having added one member after another from eternity. But this method seems even more unbelievable than the first method. If one cannot count to infinity, how can one count down from infinity? If one cannot traverse the infinite by moving in one direction, how can one traverse it by simply moving in the opposite direction?

Indeed, the idea of a beginningness series ending in the present seems to be absurd. To give just one illustration: suppose we meet a man who claims to have been counting from eternity and is now finishing: . . ., -3, -2, -1, 0. We could ask, why did he not finish counting yesterday or the day before or the year before? By then an infinite time had already elapsed, so that he should already have finished by then. Thus, at no point in the infinite past could we ever find the man finishing his countdown, for by that point he should already be done! In fact, no matter how far back into the past we go, we can never find the man counting at all, for at any point we reach he will have already finished. But if at no point in the past do we find him counting, this contradicts the hypothesis that he has been counting from eternity. This illustrates the fact that the formation of an actual infinite by successive addition is equally impossible whether one proceeds to or from infinity.

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-existence-of-god-and-the-beginning-of-the-universe#ixzz2Q7T8tp7D

So we figure that time did have a beginning and from a starting point at the start of time on to the arrival of the present moment then makes sense.

btw: I am not proposing the past is infinite, just saying that it cannot be resolved either way.

But I think it is unfair for you to fault the objection that was faulted - namely the problem of traversing an infinite amount of time to arrive at this moment.

This is like counting down from infinity to 1. It is impossible.

I think I have to agree that an infinite number of things only exists theoretically in the imagination. There exists no actual infinite number of things. And I think that would include past moments.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

[b
But I think it is unfair for you to fault the objection that was faulted - namely the problem of traversing an infinite amount of time to arrive at this moment.

This is like counting down from infinity to 1. It is impossible.
[/b]
I am disagreeing with the argument - why is that unfair?
I do not see any proof that the past is not infinite and find the argument for a finite past flawed,

Regarding "counting down from infinity" this is nonsense!
Where do you start?
Infinity is not a number

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

If the past is infinite then there is no starting point.
But this moment is here.
This moment arrived over the passage of infinity. How?

The same way an infinite line is made up of points.
I really do not see a problem here.

Consider the line x=0 in Cartesian coordinates.
Values for y extend infinitely in the negative and positive.

Your argument says that to go from y= -inf to y=0 is an infinite distance.
An infinite distance cannot be traversed.
Therefore y=0 cannot exist.

Its bonkers.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Apr 13
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
The same way an infinite line is made up of points.
I really do not see a problem here.

Consider the line x=0 in Cartesian coordinates.
Values for y extend infinitely in the negative and positive.

Your argument says that to go from y= -inf to y=0 is an infinite distance.
An infinite distance cannot be traversed.
Therefore y=0 cannot exist.

Its bonkers.
I think the problem comes in when you go from the theoritical to the actual.
You can do many things theoretically on the number line with axioms and formulas.

But what about when it comes to actual existing things in the world, like discrete moments in time?

But don't you think that if the past is infinite the entire universe would have run down to ice coldness and darkness by now ?

Why not so long long ago?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

I think the problem comes in when you go from the theoritical to the actual.
What is theoretical about my argument?
What part of my previous post is not fact?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

But what about when it comes to actual existing things in the world, like discrete moments in time?

I don't see how Planck time will reinforce your argument.
The past could be an infinite number of discrete moments
or an infinite length of continuous time. Does it matter for
this discussion? I cannot see how.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

But don't you think that if the past is infinite the entire universe would have run down to ice coldness and darkness by now ?

Why not so long long ago?
The concept of an infinite past depends (I think) on a multiverse, entropy only
applies to the distinct universes within that.

(Better take this to Science for a detailed answer!)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
What is theoretical about my argument?
What part of my previous post is not fact?
Theoretically infinity is a kind fact and numbers and counting are facts.

Actual counting to or down from infinity is an impossible handling of these facts.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Apr 13

Actual counting to or down from infinity is an impossible handling of these facts.
I agree.
That is why the argument against an infinite past is flawed.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Apr 13

Originally posted by vistesd
The analogous argument would then be that, if the real number line is infinite, then an infinite sequence of numbers would have to be “traversed” (in this case from either direction) to “arrive at” r=0; therefore the real number line must be finite (in at least one direction)—or else r=0, and by extension, any other arbitrarily selected point on the number line, is impossible.
I did make the analogy earlier in the thread but didn't set out the argument like you have. I certainly agree that the analogy is valid, and anyone claiming time must logically be finite must explain how time differs from the set of integers, or the set of reals.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Apr 13

Counting down from a starting point of infinity is impossible, because infinity is not a number and no 'starting point' exists. Counting infinitely through an infinite set given infinite time, or infinite speed, is not impossible.
Craigs argument relies on two errors:
1. The creation of a number 'infinity' as a starting point.
2. An analogy to the real world which is pre-assumed to be finite (which is illogical because the argument is an attempt to prove this.)

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
11 Apr 13

Number has no number.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Apr 13
1 edit

Counting down from a starting point of infinity is impossible

Thankyou. That is why I suspect the cosmologist are correct who maintain that time had a beginning. I suspect that a beginning to the universe and time is the better scientific theory.

thanks