1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 11:29
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Must anything exist?
    I think something must necessarily exist. Otherwise nothing would have existed would it? How could something come out of nothing?

Now, what is that necessarily existing something? Three are three possibiliities: maybe it's God, maybe it's nature, maybe it's both.

(In the above, nature subsumes all that is not God; that's a debatable proposition in itself. Also, I am thing about concrete material things, not abstract ones. Should nature subsume mathematics?)

Any way to decide between these three possibilities? Don't see how.

But at least we know nature exists, although we don't fully understand it, nor why it would exist necessarily rather than contingently. Is it more understandable that God should exist necessarily than that nature should?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 12:32
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    I think something must necessarily exist. Otherwise nothing would have existed would it? How could something come out of nothing?

Now, what is that necessarily existing something? Three are three possibiliities: maybe it's God, maybe it's nature, maybe it's both.

(In the above, nature subsumes all that is not God; that's a debatable proposition in ...[text shortened]... ntly. Is it more understandable that God should exist necessarily than that nature should?
    I dont see any sign of logic in your post.
  3. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 14:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I dont see any sign of logic in your post.
    I don't see any sign of an apostrophe in yours.

Then again, I am capable of seeing one.
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 18:37
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Must God exist?
    For what?
  5. Ketchikan, Alaska
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 04:03
    YOU ALL THINK TO SMALL!

If god does indeed exsist and all scriptures of the christian god are true we do indead never have needed him past the point of creation. think for two seconds. If god does not exsist then satan doesn't exsist (lucipher and all the others as well.). Therefore god wouldn't be required for mankinds survival.
  6. Ketchikan, Alaska
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 04:08
    Now then I don't want a long answer on this but each of you who reads this please state the depths of your beliefs in a higher all knowing being. Then take a look back and apply your beliefs and tell me, (wheather you be christian or not) that if said immortal being existed that he has done worse or not. Should said being be held accountable for his actions? God smited many when one of his commandments was not to kill. These higher beings break their own rules, and yet are let go as perfect. Is that right?
  7. Ketchikan, Alaska
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 04:11
    But regardless believe for one second that said beings are made of some sort of materail. If they are indeed then they are affected by the infinite chance = infinite existance theory. Therefore we have multiple higher beings of the same name to infinity meaning no matter what they break the commandments of another.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 06:41
    Originally posted by Dracos Chikou
    YOU ALL THINK TO SMALL!

If god does indeed exsist and all scriptures of the christian god are true we do indead never have needed him past the point of creation. think for two seconds. If god does not exsist then satan doesn't exsist (lucipher and all the others as well.). Therefore god wouldn't be required for mankinds survival.
    As someone previosly stated, god is a point of reference. Now if god, the incarnation of good, didnt exist and the devil, the incarnation of evil, didnt either, we would find a world without contrast. When you say that god is not needed for mankinds survival, its true. but for mankinds conciosness, god is needed. without black we could not tell what white was. without white we couldent envision black. to be sentiant one must make a decision between two things. without a contrast there could be no choice. without a choice, there could be no conciousness.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 06:56
    Originally posted by YAfauxpas
    As someone previosly stated, god is a point of reference. Now if god, the incarnation of good, didnt exist and the devil, the incarnation of evil, didnt either, we would find a world without contrast. When you say that god is not needed for mankinds survival, its true. but for mankinds conciosness, god is needed. without black we could not tell what white ...[text shortened]... . without a contrast there could be no choice. without a choice, there could be no conciousness.
    So you are claiming that everything in existence has an opposite. Also you are claiming that everything possible must exist in an absolute form ie that absoulte good and absolute evil are things that must exist.
    However your reason given for claiming this is not concrete. What is the opposite of Red? How can we know what red is without seeing its opposite?
    I can see and distinguish both white and black without the presence of the other and I dont think I see or identify them just because they are opposites.
    I dont believe in the existence of good and evil as seperate entities from peoples actions. I also believe we can make choices without them having to be good or evil choices.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree