1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 16:33
    Originally posted by @sonship
    New Testament persons who were confirmed to have lived by Non-Christian Sources and/or Confirmed Through Archeology
    ( not an exhaustive list )

From [b] I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist
    by Frank Turek Phd.

Agrippa I (Acts 12:1-24) confimred by Philo, Josephus
    Agrippa II (Acts 25:13-26,32) confirmed by coins, Jos ...[text shortened]... sar (Luke 3:1) confirmed by [b] Tacitus, Suetonius, Paterculus, Dio Cassius, Josephus [/b]
    Psst, there's a bit of a Josephus theme going on.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 16:362 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Psst, there's a bit of a Josephus theme going on.
    He was a respected ancient Jewish historian. Look him up.

He was considered somewhat of a "Tory" ie. throwing his hat in with the conquerors, the despised Roman Empire.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 17:48
    He was a respected ancient Jewish historian. Look him up.

He was considered somewhat of a "Tory" ie. throwing his hat in with the conquerors, the despised Roman Empire.
    The historian E. Mary Smallwood writes:

'Josephus was conceited, not only about his own learning, but also about the opinions held of him as commander both by the Galileans and by the Romans; he was guilty of shocking duplicity at Jotapata, saving himself by sacrifice of his companions; he was too naive to see how he stood condemned out of his own mouth for his conduct, and yet no words were too harsh when he was blackening his opponents; and after landing, however involuntarily, in the Roman camp, he turned his captivity to his own advantage, and benefited for the rest of his days from his change of side.'

😲
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 19:301 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    The historian E. Mary Smallwood writes:

'Josephus was conceited, not only about his own learning, but also about the opinions held of him as commander both by the Galileans and by the Romans; he was guilty of shocking duplicity at Jotapata, saving himself by sacrifice of his companions; he was too naive to see how he stood condemned out of his ow ...[text shortened]... ity to his own advantage, and benefited for the rest of his days from his change of side.'

😲
    An opportunist, if ever there was one.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 19:32
    Could someone construct a similar table concerning the mythology of [b]Osiris or Horus.
    [/b]
    Why should anyone bother to?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree