1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '13 04:021 edit
    "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."* Ephesians 4:32 (KJV)

Clarke's Commentary on Ephesians 4:32

"Be ye kind one to another - Be kind and obliging to each other; study good breeding and gentleness of manners. A Christian cannot be a savage, and he need not be a boor. Never put any person to needless pain... Tender-hearted - Compassionate; having the bowels easily moved (as the word implies) to commiserate the state of the wretched and distressed... Forgiving one another - Should you receive any injury from a brother, or from any man, be as ready to forgive him, on his repentance and acknowledgment, as God was, for Christ's sake, to forgive you when you repented of your sins, and took refuge in his mercy....

5. A roughness of manners is to some unavoidable; it is partly owing to the peculiar texture of their mind, and partly to their education. But there are others who glory in, and endeavor to cultivate, this ungentle disposition; under this is often concealed a great degree of spiritual pride, and perhaps some malignity; for they think that this roughness gives them a right to say grating, harsh, and severe things. They should be taught another lesson; and if they will not demean themselves as they ought, they should be left to themselves, and no man should associate with them. They are not Christians, and they act beneath the character of men."

Barnes' Notes on Ephesians 4:32

"And be ye kind one to another - Benignant, mild, courteous, "polite" - stoi. 1 Peter 3:8. Christianity produces true courteousness, or politeness. It does not make one rough, crabby, or sour; nor does it dispose its followers to violate the proper rules of social contact. The secret of true politeness is "benevolence," or a desire to make others happy; and a Christian should be the most polite of people. There is no religion in a sour, misanthropic temper; none in rudeness, stiffness, and repulsiveness; none in violating the rules of good breeding. There is a hollow-hearted politeness, indeed, which the Christian is not to aim at or copy. His politeness is to be based on "kindness;" Colossians 3:12. His courtesy is to be the result of love, good-will, and a desire of the happiness of all others; and this will prompt to the kind of conduct that will render his conversation. with others agreeable and profitable.

Tender-hearted - Having a heart disposed to pity and compassion, and especially disposed to show kindness to the faults of erring brethren; for so the connection demands. Forgiving one another - see the notes on Matthew 6:12. As God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you - As God, on account of what Christ has suffered and done, has pardoned you. He has done it: (1) "freely" - without merit on your part - when we were confessedly in the wrong. (2) "fully;" he has forgiven "every" offence. (3) "Liberally;" he has forgiven "many" offences, for our sins have been innumerable.

This is to be the rule which we are to observe in forgiving others. We are to do it "freely, fully, liberally." The forgiveness is to be entire, cordial, constant. We are not to "rake up" old offences, and charge them again upon them; we are to treat them as though they had not offended, for so God treats us.

Learn: (1) That the forgiveness of an offending brother is a duty which we are not at liberty to neglect. (2) the peace and happiness of the church depend on it. All are liable to offend their brethren, as all are liable to offend God; all need forgiveness of one another, as we all need it of God. (3) there is no danger of carrying it too far. Let the rule be observed, "As God has forgiven you, so do you forgive others." Let a man recollect his own sins and follies; let him look over his life, and see how often he has offended God; let him remember that all has been forgiven; and then, fresh with this feeling, let him go and meet an offending brother, and say, "My brother, I forgive you. I do it frankly, fully, wholly. So Christ has forgiven me; so I forgive you. The offence shall be no more remembered. It shall not be referred to in our contact to harrow up your feelings; it shall not diminish my love for you; it shall not prevent my uniting with you in doing good. Christ treats me, a poor sinner, as a friend; and so I will treat you." (Ephesians 4:32/KJV/godvine)

* Food for thought for us all today, tomorrow and as long as we shall live within these temporal bodies. Comments?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '13 10:54
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."* Ephesians 4:32 (KJV)

[b]Clarke's Commentary on Ephesians 4:32

"Be ye kind one to another - Be kind and obliging to each other; study good breeding and gentleness of manners. A Christian cannot be a savage, and he need not be ...[text shortened]... for us all today, tomorrow and as long as we shall live within these temporal bodies. Comments?[/b]
    Very instructive post dear GB, the New world translation of the Holy scriptures captures the idea, it reads,

'But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you.'

Colossians 3:12 also carries the same idea

Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion, kindness, humility, mildness, and patience.

My own thoughts are that we should be moved to compassion through the events that we ourselves have suffered, making us more tenderly compassionate, the danger is though, that somehow, these events make us more harsh than compassionate. I am reminded of the words of a holocaust survivor who stated that his heart became poisoned towards humanity after what he experienced and therein lies the danger.

A caterpillar,
    this deep in fall--
    still not a butterfly.
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    28 Oct '13 11:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Very instructive post dear GB, the New world translation of the Holy scriptures captures the idea, it reads,

'But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you.'

Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe ...[text shortened]... ed and therein lies the danger.

A caterpillar,
    this deep in fall--
    still not a butterfly.
    LOL. Are you a caterpillar or a butterfly Robbie?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '13 12:382 edits
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    LOL. Are you a caterpillar or a butterfly Robbie?
    I knew a poet like you LongJohnny could not resist this.

For the Christian, the scriptures outline the process, that it should be a complete metamorphosis of personality, so that what went before, should be unrecognizable from that which proceeded it, as much as a caterpillar is from a butterfly.

Ephesians 4

But you did not learn the Christ to be like this, if, indeed, you heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus. You were taught to put away the old personality that conforms to your former course of conduct and that is being corrupted according to its deceptive desires. And you should continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude, and should put on the new personality that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.

Romans 12:2

And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

thus the idea of being transformed comes from the Greek, metamorphosis, a complete and unrecognizable change from that which went before.

what do you think the implications of the poem are Johnny? Is it likely that with the approach of winter a caterpillar will become a butterfly?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 04:07
    "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
    Ephesians 4:32 (KJV)
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 05:481 edit
    For the Christian, the scriptures outline the process, that it should be a complete metamorphosis of personality...?
    What were you like before?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 14:49

Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe ...[text shortened]... ed and therein lies the danger.

A caterpillar,
    this deep in fall--
    still not a butterfly.
    How do you feel about the Organ Donation Program? Is it a Christian idea of being compassionate or is it a trick of the Devil?

The Instructor
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 15:00
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How do you feel about the Organ Donation Program? Is it a Christian idea of being compassionate or is it a trick of the Devil?

The Instructor
    Its open to anyone, in fact I am sure there was an atheist who out of compassion donated a kidney after learning of another's plight.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 16:45
    Its open to anyone, in fact I am sure there was an atheist who out of compassion donated a kidney after learning of another's plight.
    I know it is open to anyone. One does not have to be a Christian to be an organ donor. However, I was wondering about how you as a JW believe about the practice, since you are against donating blood. Is there any dfference in donating one of your kidneys while still alive or being designated as an organ donor so that after you die your heart might be used in transplant surgery to help someone else? Is any of it good or is it all bad?

The Instructor
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 16:59
    I know it is open to anyone. One does not have to be a Christian to be an organ donor. However, I was wondering about how you as a JW believe about the practice, since you are against donating blood. Is there any dfference in donating one of your kidneys while still alive or being designated as an organ donor so that after you die your heart might be used ...[text shortened]... transplant surgery to help someone else? Is any of it good or is it all bad?

The Instructor
    dont know, visit jw.org
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 17:321 edit
    I know it is open to anyone. One does not have to be a Christian to be an organ donor. However, I was wondering about how you as a JW believe about the practice, since you are against donating blood. Is there any dfference in donating one of your kidneys while still alive or being designated as an organ donor so that after you die your heart might be used ...[text shortened]... transplant surgery to help someone else? Is any of it good or is it all bad?

The Instructor
    This is an excellent point RJHinds and I wish you God's speed and the all the best of luck in getting anything like a coherent response from either of the resident JWs here.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 17:541 edit
    dont know, visit jw.org
    The reason I asked this question was because a few days ago, I saw this interview by Bill O'reilly of former Vice President Dick Cheney that mentions how well he is doing after his heart transplant. It seems that today that the doctors know enough about sterilization and these procedures to make such transplants beneficial.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/2013/10/29/dick-cheney-enters-no-spin-zone

Although I would be interested in the official JW view on such matters, I was more interested in how you think personally about these type things. Do you personally think being able to do successful transplants like this is good or bad? I know that many do not like Dick Cheney and for that reason alone would think it was bad, but what if you, your wife or child needed such a procedure, would you personally consider this good or bad?

The Instructor
  13. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 17:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 17:59

A caterpillar,
    this deep in fall--
    still not a butterfly.
    O bush warblers!
    Now you’ve sh#t all over
    my rice cake on the porch
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 18:096 edits
    The reason I asked this question was because a few days ago, I saw this interview by Bill O'reilly of former Vice President Dick Cheney that mentions how well he is doing after his heart transplant. It seems that today that the doctors know enough about sterilization and these procedures to make such transplants beneficial.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/ ...[text shortened]... child needed such a procedure, would you personally consider this good or bad?

The Instructor
    I am sure if you watch the independent film 'knocking', there is a case of a witness family whose kid needs a transplant, a kidney or a lung, cannot remember, requiring bloodless surgery and the boys father donates it. I have not watched all of it, only parts , but i think its a fairly good portrayal of the situation, don't know if you can watch the film on-line.

http://www.knocking.org/

Here is the kid here, Seth, he needed a liver transplant, the extract is from the film. His father donated it. The video is probably one of the most accurate portrayals I have come across. It also features a holocaust survivor who became a witness.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree