1. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 20:56
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I didn't mean 'religion' as some set of propositions. I meant things like the rituals, songs, art, architecture, etc. through which religious beliefs are manifested and sustained.
    Oh. I think a lot of that is beautiful, too.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 21:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Unexpected, to say the least. Your writing supports a position of antagonism toward religious beliefs, yet you find worth in the (seemingly) worthless expressions which emanate thereforth? Please explain, if possible.
    "Amazing Grace" is still a good song, even if I don't agree with that point of view.
  3. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:14
    Originally posted by The Sultan of Solid
    No offence, but religion is boring. There really isn't that much to any of them beyond judgement, punishment and death avoidance functions, sometimes with a feeble creation story chucked in.

But what is endlessly fascinating is that so many people will buy into it.
    then at the very least you find people's response to religion interesting. even if you consider it gullibility.

i admit that i am one of the gullible ones. according to my world view, i follow xianity. however, i have made a serious study of religion. my b.a. is in comparative world religion. i enjoyed it. i must say that followers of other religions or nonreligions cross my mind as gullible.

gullibility is a funny thing.
  4. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yes, it's interesting. I've read books on Norse mythology. I've also read several books by Bart Ehrman (which I recommend) on the early history of christianity (which is quite different from what many christians would have you believe). From a historical standpoint, religions can be quite interesting. But I have no interest in observing any of their dogma.
    i love norse mythology. one of my favorites, even as an xian. thor kicks some a. woden is pretty cool, too.

as westerners, we must admit the importance of norse mythology to our mind-set. e.g. wodenstag = wednesday.
  5. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:17
    Originally posted by amannion
    Not sure if you've come across the work of Karen Armstrong - she was a Catholic (?) Nun who became an atheist. Now she works as a historian of religion and religious thought. Her books 'A History of God' and 'The Battle for God' are excellent - well researched, very detailed, interesting and not dogmatic in the slightest.
    i have a b.a. in comparative world religion from the college of charleston in south carolina. not a xian school at all. i've read both the books you've mentioned. they are both very imformative.
  6. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:19
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I find the psychology of religion interesting.
    i agree. especially how crazily some may follow whatever religion they choose to follow. but of course, that depends on one's world view. many, including yourself, think my world view, as a xian (even a fundie as my view would be described), would be considered crazy and absurd.
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:20
    "Amazing Grace" is still a good song, even if I don't agree with that point of view.
    ARG. I bet if you had to play it at EVERY funeral it wouldn't be a 'good song.'

BLAH
  8. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:20
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I don't find them philosophically interesting, except in parts (e.g., attempts to wrestle with Euthyphro or the Problem of Evil). I find them exceptionally interesting for what they indicate about human psychology. But more than this, I find them often stunningly beautiful.
    ibid
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:211 edit
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    then at the very least you find people's response to religion interesting. even if you consider it gullibility.

i admit that i am one of the gullible ones. according to my world view, i follow xianity. however, i have made a serious study of religion. my b.a. is in comparative world religion. i enjoyed it. i must say that followers of other religions or nonreligions cross my mind as gullible.

How do you find people who don't follow a religious belief gullible? And certianly you don't believe you are also gullible. If so then you admit your religion is false. A bit confused here....

Ah, I think you just meant you were considered gullible by others, not that you assert you are. my bad. 🙂
  10. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:22
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    What constitutes "a religion" in your statement that you find religions stunningly beautiful?

EDIT For example, what is described by the statement "Sikhism is beautiful"?

EDIT I'm not trying to set some obnoxious trap; I'm just surprised at what might be a very broad use of the word "beautiful". I'd never say, for instance, that French is a beautiful language, but I'd apply the term to a lot of phrases, grammatical concepts, etc.
    hate french. why can't they pronounce every letter like german, spanish, latin, greek, etc.
    of course this applys to english, not a fan. and i'm an american. 😉
  11. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:24
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    You gotta be kidding me. The Most Holy Bbarr tapping his feet at a revival. This is truly a testament to your universalizing "faith." I've long been a proponent of pastors having Sunday lunch at Hooters.
    despite the dress of the waitresses, the philly cheese steak sandwiches are exquisite. uh-hm. but that doesn't make it right.

oh yeah, and the wings... oooohhh. the wings.
  12. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:25
    amazing grace is a beautiful song. especially if one is familiar with the story behind it's writing.

you should also check out the story behind "it is well with my soul." very moving.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:26
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    ARG. I bet if you had to play it at EVERY funeral it wouldn't be a 'good song.'

BLAH
    Fortunately I don't have to attend many funerals.

Ani DiFranco has a good cover of the song that makes it a little more interesting.

But that was just an example I pulled out of the hat. You could plug anything in there. Such as - the Sistine Chapel ceiling is still a great fresco, even though I don't agree with that point of view.
  14. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:26
    ps. i'm sorry for the multiple posts. i haven't yet learned how to reply to more than one post at a time other than just listing the stuff, but that could get confusing to the other posters.

also, how do you bold face the type in the post?
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 22:28
    Originally posted by Big Mac

So you think it's completely sensible to believe in something entirely lacking in proof?

Perhaps you believe in fairies too, though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree