1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 10:39
    "Anti-balaka is the term used to refer to the Christian militias formed in the Central African Republic after the rise to power of Michel Djotodia." says wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-balaka

They are on the go, right now, in Central African Republic. They use violence and murder innocent people in the name of Christ. With the bible in one hand and the machete in the other.

There is no guarantee that the Christian religion and morals go hand in hand.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 11:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Anyone who knows the long and violent history of Christianity knows that.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 11:30
    "Anti-balaka is the term used to refer to the Christian militias formed in the Central African Republic after the rise to power of Michel Djotodia." says wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-balaka

They are on the go, right now, in Central African Republic. They use violence and murder innocent people in the name of Christ. With the bible in ...[text shortened]... e in the other.

What did you think of the Truth and Reconcilation proceedings in South Africa ?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 12:17
    Originally posted by sonship
    What did you think of the Truth and Reconcilation proceedings in South Africa ?
    When christians stop to kill, then it is time to think about reconciliation. As long as christian terrorists go into villages killing everyone they can find with their christian machetes there is no time for reconciliation.

Christians !!! Stop killing people !!!
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 13:522 edits
    When christians stop to kill, then it is time to think about reconciliation. As long as christian terrorists go into villages killing everyone they can find with their christian machetes there is no time for reconciliation.

Christians !!! Stop killing people !!!
    Why don't you collect all the things which are bad which have the word "Crhistian" attached them?

Why don't you simply find in how many ways the word "Christian" has been raised to dignify whatever people wanted to do with a veneer of legitimacy ?

Maybe you could instituted a world wide law and inforce it - "Henceforth the word Christian shall never be associated with anything harmful or objectionable or which doesn't seem to refect the character of Jesus."

Until you can do that there will always be "Christian" this and "Christian" that - as to whatever people want to dignify and bestow a noble sound to.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 14:00
    Why don't you collect all the things which are bad which have the word "Crhistian" attached them?

Why don't you simply find in how many ways the word "Christian" has been raised to dignify whatever people wanted to do with a veneer of legitimacy ?

Maybe you could instituted a world wide law and inforce it "The word Christian shall never be associated ...[text shortened]... " this and "Christian" that - as to whatever people want to dignify and bestow a noble sound to.
    Do I misunderstand you here? Do you condemn or do you accept these christian killings in the Central African Republic?

Further: Are you fine with people using the word Christian to legitimize terrorist acts like these?

Aren't you upset at all by killing people with the bible in one hand and the machete in the other hand? I would be furious if someone would immaculate everything that I stand for. Wouldn't you?

You rather shoot at the messenger than the message.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 14:385 edits
    Do I misunderstand you here? Do you condemn or do you accept these christian killings in the Central African Republic?

I do not know too much about the specific group. However names like "The Lord's Resistence Army" or "Christian Militia" are often used.

It doesn't shock me at all to hear that some band of violent people lifted the banner of "Christian" this or that over their agenda.

Further: Are you fine with people using the word Christian to legitimize terrorist acts like these?

No. But it is an unavoidable and oft repeated occurrence.

The worst things to occur on the earth will have the banner "Christian" waved over them. This is not a statement of the unreliability of the teaching of Jesus. This is a statement on the depravity of man to seize upon what is holy and righteous and of God to give credence and sacredness to their own completely worldly programs.

What would you expect ? Which sounds better - "The Devil's Resistance Army" or "The Lord's Resistance Army" ? The latter of course. You rally people behind what sounds like the highest, the most noble, the most morally upstanding sounding.

Aren't you upset at all by killing people with the bible in one hand and the machete in the other hand? I would be furious if someone would immaculate everything that I stand for. Wouldn't you?

I do not know much about it. However if I were to get furious about it in the sense that they will never be accountable to a Righteous Judge, then I might become LIKE them.

"The wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God." (James 1:20)

I don't like the Bible in one hand and the killing weapon in the other.
    But if I give in to being "furious" I'll soon be acting in some vigilante group in the same way.

Ie. "Furious Christians Running Around Stamping Out Evil For Jesus !"

You rather shoot at the messenger than the message.

Only with the Gospel Gun.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 14:52
    [b]Do I misunderstand you here? Do you condemn or do you accept these christian killings in the Central African Republic?

I do not know too much about the specific group. However names like "The Lord's Resistence Army" or "Christian Militia" are often used.

It doesn't shock me at all to hear that some band of violent people lif ...[text shortened]... ote]
    You rather shoot at the messenger than the message. [/quote]

Only with the Gospel Gun.[/b]
    This is more a reaction I wanted to hear.

There are people who says that christians have a higher degree of moral than others, like muslims, hindus or buddhists. But this is a straight forward example that the denomination 'christian' doesn't say much in the morality question.

There are people who say that islam is a terrorist religion. I would say that there are Muslims who are terrorists in their actions, and I would say that there are christians who are terrorists in their actions. There is no difference. Shout "muslims are terrorists" and I shout back "christians are terrorists". One is as offending as the other.

Google "wiki christian terrorism" and you will learn that christians are anything but peace-loving. Yes, there is other terrorism also. But christianity shares its part of responsability.

Christians are not better than others, don't have higher moral, are not chosen by god in any way. Christians simply are one part of humanity, not better, not worse.
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 14:571 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Anyone who knows the long and violent history of Christianity knows that.
    :'(

(Sorry, looks like the "weeping smiley " is not compatible with my iPad)
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 15:08

There are people who says that christians have a higher degree of moral than others, like muslims, hindus or buddhists. But this is a straight forward example that the denomination 'christian' doesn't say much in the morality question.

There are people who say that islam is a terrorist religion. I would say ...[text shortened]... not chosen by god in any way. Christians simply are one part of humanity, not better, not worse.
    Is there any indication the Christian militia are reacting to similar affronts from Muslims? They both are killing people. Great religions we have here, eh.
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 15:16

There are people who say that islam is a terrorist religion. I would say that there are Muslims who are terrorists in ...[text shortened]... are terrorists" and I shout back "christians are terrorists". One is as offending as the other.
    Fundamentalism in all its forms is a scourge on society.

There was a TIME article recently about Buddhist monks, normally the most peace loving of all people, who caused atrocities against Hindus in Burma (Myanmar?)

No religion has the inside track on violence, all of them at some stage or other have murdered others because "they were infidels/unbelievers) and "my god told me so".

Again, Fundamentalism in all its forms is a disgrace. Until we learn tolerance and acceptance of each others' divergent views, there is no "peace on Earth".

(Cue for RJH to come in with: When they say Peace, peace.... )
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 15:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is there any indication the Christian militia are reacting to similar affronts from Muslims? They both are killing people. Great religions we have here, eh.
    There was already a history of violence - a civil war in fact, in which religion played a part.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 15:431 edit
    Originally posted by CalJust
    (Cue for RJH to come in with: When they say Peace, peace.... )
    I think you will have to wait another week for that.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 15:482 edits

There are people who say that islam is a terrorist religion. I would say ...[text shortened]... not chosen by god in any way. Christians simply are one part of humanity, not better, not worse.
    Christians are not better than others, don't have higher moral, are not chosen by god in any way. Christians simply are one part of humanity, not better, not worse.

Yea FabianFnas, But because you can point that out, that makes how much better ?

The believers I meet with, and there are thousands I've met, live by the highest standard of morality as through Christ their Lord.

www.localchurches.org
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 15:51
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Fundamentalism in all its forms is a scourge on society.
    What is fundamentalism? Surely anyone who is not a fundamentalist is not really a theist, but only pretending?

The problem is not fundamentalism, the problem is humanities tendency to group identity. Whenever you have large groups with strong identities living in close proximity but not sufficiently interacting socially, then expect trouble. The groups may be race, tribe, culture, religion (or sect), social class, or a combination of these and other things.
    The tipping point is when a person from one group sees members of the other group as homogenous and considers them not 'one of us'.
    It is common for people in power to fan the flames for their own benefit - and sometimes those people in power are religious leaders.

In summary, this sort of thing happens without religion, but religion can be a factor and can make it worse, and in some instances, be largely blamed - especially when the religious leaders or members see conflict as a means to spread their religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree