anti-intellectualism

anti-intellectualism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
What is the point in engaging with you? As soon as someone starts asking you questions about statements you have made and your views on the topic at hand, if you can't answer them, out trots your rather boring and banal 'it's not about me' or 'personal remarks will be ignored' lines.
If you have anything to say on the topic please feel free, if you dont then perhaps this is not the thread for you?

THE TOPIC
A Christians willingness to substitute emotionalism for study of scripture. My contention being that i dont see how its possible to get to know God without study.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
THE TOPIC
what its actually about is a Christians willingness to substitute emotionalism for study of scripture. My contention being that i dont see how its possible to get to know God without study. This is what its actually about.
You presented some questionable evidence of Jesus' "study of scripture" ~ a sub-topic which you yourself raised ~ and the process by which you arrived at declaring it a "fact" and declaring it to be a proven "truth claim" raised a legitimate question about whether your approach was an example of "anti-intellectualism" ~ which is the topic, after all.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

If you have anything to say on the topic please feel free, if you dont then perhaps this is not the thread for you?

[b]THE TOPIC

A Christians willingness to substitute emotionalism for study of scripture. My contention being that i dont see how its possible to get to know God without study.[/b]
You don't get to know God. He doesn't exist. 🙂

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
You presented some questionable evidence of Jesus' "study of scripture" ~ a sub-topic which you yourself raised ~ and the process by which you arrived at declaring it a "fact" and declaring it to be a proven "truth claim" raised a legitimate question about whether your approach was an example of "anti-intellectualism" ~ which is the topic, after all.
THE TOPIC
A Christians willingness to substitute emotionalism for study of scripture. My contention being that i dont see how its possible to get to know God without study.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

its written in the Bible
When it comes right down to it, when trying to deal in "truth claims", might it not be said that saying "its written in the Bible" therefore it is "a statement of fact" is an example of Christian emotionalism?

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Proper Knob
You don't get to know God. He doesn't exist. 🙂
whether he exists or does not exist is not the issue, the issue is a Christians willingness to substitute others methods for attempting to get to know God and hos is this possible, which remains unanswered.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

THE TOPIC
"THE TOPIC" is "anti-intellectualism" and it was you who raised the topic of Jesus' "study of scripture" by citing his demonstration of his purported prowess when he was alone in the desert.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
When it comes right down to it, when trying to deal in "truth claims", might it not be said that saying "its written in the Bible" therefore it is "a statement of fact" is an example of Christian emotionalism?
find you think its an example of emotionalism. do you often refer to appeals to literature as an example of emotionalism?

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

find you think its an example of emotionalism. do you often refer to appeals to literature as an example of emotionalism?
Often. Yes. I think you have demonstrated both emotionalism and anti-intellectualism on this thread. But it's OK because you demonstrating them is on-topic.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
"THE TOPIC" is "anti-intellectualism" and it was you who raised the topic of Jesus' "study of scripture" by citing his demonstration of his purported prowess when he was alone in the desert.
i described at some length what the thread is about and to any reasonable person it concerns Christians and their willingness to substitute elements like emotionalism instead of study. Its in the Op if you care to read it. Its not about intellectualism or anti intellectualism in general and i resent the fact that you have attempted to redefine it.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Often. Yes. I think you have demonstrated both emotionalism and anti-intellectualism on this thread. But it's OK because you demonstrating them is on-topic.
In what way is stating that something is written in the Bible emotional or emotionalism?

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

In what way is saying its written in the Bible emotional?
You yourself, a few pages ago said "truth claims" need "proof" and then you brushed this aside and insisted it was "a statement of fact" because "it is written in the Bible". Both the substance of your claim and your 'intellectual behaviour' a few pages ago ~ maybe page 7 onwards ~ seemed deeply emotional and little else. I would call it a form of "anti-intellectualism". And yes, your demeanour seems emotional and your argumentation seems emotional.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Bedtime in Indonesia!

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
You yourself, a few pages ago said "truth claims" need "proof" and then you brushed this aside and insisted it was "a statement of fact" because "it is written in the Bible". Both the substance of your claim and your 'intellectual behaviour' a few pages ago ~ maybe page 7 onwards ~ seemed deeply emotional and little else. I would call it a form of "anti-intellectualism". And yes, your demeanour seems emotional and your argumentation seems emotional.
seems deeply emotional? and yet i have not said anything about the way I feel, so we shall ask you once again, in what way is making an appeal on the basis of scripture emotional?

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
this is nothing more than belief in your own propaganda, you have not a shred of evidence that i have been emotional nor that my arguments have their basis in emotionalism, your statement is unfounded and has no basis in reality other than the values you seem to imbue it with.