1. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 22:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Exactly. L. Ron Hubbard frequently remarked to friends how easy it was to dupe the government and get out of paying taxes. Just start a religion. LRH said several times that Scientology was a tax shelter.
    Shouldn't all religions belong in the sci fi /fantasy board?
  2. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 21:10
    Originally posted by Brother Edwin
    I have taken a interest in this religion and wonderd if there are any longer serving members of it who frequent the boards.
    I can tell you that L. Ron Hubbard had made his religion from the inspiration of his learning from the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy, as he had taken her classes in the 1800s and inquired much understanding of spirituality, though, decided to fall away from it's teachings. To which he created his own conceived religion based in a material view, as opposed to Christian Science's spiritual recognition of one's TRUE being..

There is a book called "Science and Health" ( http://www.spirituality.com/dt/book_search.jhtml;jsessionid=FV4D5C1BES0FVKGL4LYCFEQ#jumpto ), that has healed many a thousand of people simply by reading it's revealing of one's true being..

This book is the world's wake up call to reality. In fact, If I were the richest man on the planet and I was with you discussing this book. I would bring to your attention with a slight share of words how I would take all of my "value" that is considered wealth, the riches that I owned, and place them all in the Hotels of Waikiki.

Remove all folk from the valley holding them, place armed detonators in each, then detonate them. Jump up on the rubble after the clearing, with the book in my hand and say "Here, this book is way richer.", then toss you the book!

There are 100 pages in it's back of folk being healed of any ailment that was "INVENTED", just by reading this grand book, that IS the key to the scriptures, and was published over 100 yrs. ago.

This is a testimony that can be found in the back of this book on page 607~

CATARACT QUICKLY CURED

I wish to add my testimony to those of others, and hope that it may be the means of bringing some poor sufferer to health, to happiness, and to God. I was healed through simply reading this wonderful book, Science and Health. I had been troubled periodically for many years with sore eyes, and had been to many doctors, who called the disease iritis and cataract. They told me that my eyes would always give me trouble, and that I would eventually lose my sight if I remained in an office, and advised me to go under an operation. Later on I had to wear glasses at my work, also out of doors as I could not bear the winds, and my eyes were gradually becoming worse. I could not read for longer than a few minutes at a time, otherwise they would smart severely. I had to rest my eyes each evening to enable me to use them the next day; in fact gas-light was getting unbearable because of the pain, and I made home miserable. A dear brother told me about Christian Science, and said that if I would read Science and Health it would help me. He procured for me the loan of the book. The first night I read it, it so interested me I quite forgot all about my eyes until my wife remarked that it was eleven o'clock. I found that I had been reading this book for nearly four hours, and I remarked immediately after, "I believe my eyes are cured," which was really the case. The next day, on looking at my eyes, my wife noticed that the cataract had disappeared. I put away my outdoor glasses, which I have not required since, and through the understanding gained by studying Christian Science I have been able to do away with my indoor glasses also, and have had no return of pain in my eyes since. This is now a year and a half ago.--G. F. S., Liverpool, England.

Written 100 yrs. ago
  3. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 00:43
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    I can tell you that L. Ron Hubbard had made his religion from the inspiration of his learning from the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy, as he had taken her classes in the 1800s and inquired much understanding of spirituality, though, decided to fall away from it's teachings. To which he created his own conceived religion based in a material view, as oppo ...[text shortened]... a year and a half ago.--G. F. S., Liverpool, England.

Written 100 yrs. ago
    end of quote
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 01:33
    Originally posted by Lirael
    Shouldn't all religions belong in the sci fi /fantasy board?
    Next time you meet a scientologist ask them about the dead bodies on the mountains. Pure sci-fi stuff.
  5. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:341 edit
    Did any one here in the UK see Panorama last night on the dark side of Scientology? Shocking stuff.

I didn't realise Kirstie Alley was such a nut job. I had always thought Juliette Lewis was pretty vacant.

I have managed to find it on BBC iPlayer. It probably wouldn't be available for anyone outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00v1ykr/Panorama_28_09_2010/
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:592 edits
    Originally posted by lausey
    Did any one here in the UK see Panorama last night on the dark side of Scientology? Shocking stuff.

I didn't realise Kirstie Alley was such a nut job. I had always thought Juliette Lewis was pretty vacant.

I have managed to find it on BBC iPlayer. It probably wouldn't be available for anyone outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00v1ykr/Panorama_28_09_2010/
    I missed it as i was working, but i'll catch it on iPlayer.

My girfriends dad's side of the family are heavily involved within Scientology, her mum and dad met at a scientology retreat many years ago and eventually ran away with each other. Her dad was then ostracised from his family, nobody spoke to him for years i think. It's all pretty sad really. One of my girlfriends aunties works at the scientology training centre here in the UK in East Grinstead and another works at the main Flag Land Base in Florida.
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 10:11
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I missed it as i was working, but i'll catch it on iPlayer.

My girfriends dad's side of the family are heavily involved within Scientology, her mum and dad met at a scientology retreat many years ago and eventually ran away with each other. Her dad was then ostracised from his family, nobody spoke to him for years i think. One of my girlfriends auntie ...[text shortened]... ntre here in the UK in East Grinstead and another works at the main Flag Land Base in Florida.
    It seems that celebrities are treated in the "religion" very well and see everything through rose tinted glasses. Vastly different from what us mere mortals will experience if we were to join.

It is sad to hear that some members of your girlfriend's family have got caught up in it. I just hope that one day they see sense and manage to get out (albeit they might have to spend a fortune to avoid getting harassed afterwards).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree