1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 19:47
    I want to know why Theists are always being accused of having an illusionary coping mechanism (ie God) when it seems to me that Athieists that talk about 'love' and 'meaning' are involved in a form of comforting self delusion by refusing to accept that, taken to it's logical conclusion, Atheism = Nihilism. Is this how Atheists cope ? By not facing the full implications of their belief? Are you not giving yourselves an intellectual get out with all this talk of 'love' , 'meaning' and 'morality' ? You may believe it but do you feel it? Whatever happened to the 'void'? I'm sorry if this sounds like Atheist baiting , but for me a lot of what's talked about on this forum sounds like watered down Atheism in order to make it more comfortable. Where are the real Atheists who have popped the bubble? It all sounds far too cosy!
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 20:01
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I want to know why Theists are always being accused of having an illusionary coping mechanism (ie God) when it seems to me that Athieists that talk about 'love' and 'meaning' are involved in a form of comforting self delusion by refusing to accept that, taken to it's logical conclusion, Atheism = Nihilism. Is this how Atheists cope ? By not facing the ...[text shortened]... ere are the real Atheists who have popped the bubble? It all sounds far too cosy!
    You have yet to show why love and meaning require God.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 20:19
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I want to know why Theists are always being accused of having an illusionary coping mechanism (ie God) when it seems to me that Athieists that talk about 'love' and 'meaning' are involved in a form of comforting self delusion by refusing to accept that, taken to it's logical conclusion, Atheism = Nihilism. Is this how Atheists cope ? By not facing the ...[text shortened]... ere are the real Atheists who have popped the bubble? It all sounds far too cosy!
    Atheism does not equal nihilism, no matter how much you theists claim it does. You do not need a god to have a life full of love and meaning. The fact that we do not believe in an afterlife does not invalidate these things.

What you refer to as "real atheists" is nothing more than a caricature that you religious folk like to propogate. But it has no basis in reality.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 20:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Atheism does not equal nihilism, no matter how much you theists claim it does. You do not need a god to have a life full of love and meaning. The fact that we do not believe in an afterlife does not invalidate these things.

What you refer to as "real atheists" is nothing more than a caricature that you religious folk like to propogate. But it has no basis in reality.
    How would you define 'love' and 'meaning'?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 20:55
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    How would you define 'love' and 'meaning'?
    Exactly as Webster's Dictionary does.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:041 edit
    Exactly as Webster's Dictionary does.
    Whence would you derive 'meaning' if life ended in 'nothingness' at death?

How far does your love go? Would you turn the other cheek if your enemy slapped you in the face?

What gives you joy and fulfillment?

What determines your morality?
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:15

How far does your love go? Would you turn the other cheeck if your enemy slapped you in the face?
    You are sitll labouring under the misconception that how life ends defines how it existed.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:171 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You are sitll labouring under the misconception that how life ends defines how it existed.
    sitll what?😉
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:19
    Do you enjoy putting words in my mouth?
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:211 edit
    Do you enjoy putting words in my mouth?

Do you deny that you believe there is no meaning in life to the atheist?

Ahh forget it, I don't need the hassle of starting to argue with you again.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:24

I said nothing of the kind. I simply asked the question, "whence do you derive meaning in life if your life ends in nothingness?"

Is the question so difficult to answer?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:25

I love chatting with you... 😞
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:26

How far does your love go? Would you turn the other cheek if your enemy slapped you in the face?

What gives you joy and fulfillment?

What determines your morality?
    George W. Bush didn't turn the other cheek.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:301 edit

How far does your love go? Would you turn the other cheeck if your enemy slapped you in the face?
    Since I do not believe in an afterlife, most meaning that my life will have will be during this life, however finite that may be. But if I had children, for example, my concern would not be solely with my own life. They would inherit the world I have helped to create. As our lives would be interconnected, I would hope the world would be a better place for them after I'm gone. These things matter to me in my life, here and now.

As for love, what is this, a love competition? Are you saying that your love is better than mine because you have a bible that tells you to "turn the other cheek?" Nice advice. Maybe you christians should put that into practice sometime.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 21:481 edit
    Since I do not believe in an afterlife, most meaning that my life will have will be during this life, however finite that may be. But if I had children, for example, my concern would not be solely with my own life. They would inherit the world I have helped to create. As our lives would be interconnected, I would hope the world would be a better place for t n the other cheek?" Nice advice. Maybe you christians should put that into practice sometime.
    Since I do not believe in an afterlife, most meaning that my life will have will be during this life, however finite that may be. But if I had children, for example, my concern would not be solely with my own life. They would inherit the world I have helped to create. As our lives would be interconnected, I would hope the world would be a better place for them after I'm gone. These things matter to me in my life, here and now.

What meaning would your life have if you never had children or if they were suddenly taken away from you? What meaning would you have if you were to be paralysed and failed to create the perfect world for your kids?

As for love, what is this, a love competition? Are you saying that your love is better than mine because you have a bible that tells you to "turn the other cheek?" Nice advice. Maybe you christians should put that into practice sometime.

Just thinking. What would motivate you to love someone who wronged you? How would you cope if someone were to murder your wife or children? How would you find peace and meaning in such a situation?

Also, what meaning would pain, sorrow and suffering entail in your life? How would you deal with this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree