1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 10:10
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Me thinks you are the one detatched from reality, as God is reality.
    I guess you're just going to have to unequivocally prove that god exists then.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 10:12
    None of you seem to be able to answer the simple question that I asked...

So OK, I get it.

I am not trying to validate or invalidate your meaning in life. I simply wish to know what your meaning in life would be, as I cannot imagine what the meaning of my life would be without God.
    My meaning in life? Having fun, meeting a nice girl, educating people, finding the truth - the real truth, not some silly bogeyman.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 11:11
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I want to know why Theists are always being accused of having an illusionary coping mechanism (ie God) when it seems to me that Athieists that talk about 'love' and 'meaning' are involved in a form of comforting self delusion by refusing to accept that, taken to it's logical conclusion, Atheism = Nihilism. Is this how Atheists cope ? By not facing the ...[text shortened]... ere are the real Atheists who have popped the bubble? It all sounds far too cosy!
    Good grief.

Last I checked, atheism is generally defined as a lack of belief in a god or gods. For all those who think that nihilism logically follows from this definition, please provide an argument that demonstrates as much. Otherwise, you deserve to be ignored.

And even if God did exist and were to scratch out His own ideas concerning the meaning of life and ethical theory, then He too can argue for His claims or be promptly ignored.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 11:531 edit
    The use of children was just the most obvious example. I could insert family or friends in there just as easily. Atheists are perfectly capable of caring the wellbeing of the people who will survive them.

What type of meaning would an atheist have if all he were to lose all friends and family?

Are you claiming that someone who was paralyzed only find meaning in such circumstances if I remembered how much Jesus suffered for me.
    Sure, it might be nice if there was some fairy-god in the sky to pat you on the back after a hard day, but that doesn't mean it's true. Just because you think life would be better with some god lurking in the background doesn't make it true either. If we're going to invent deities to help reassure us in our daily tribulations, then I think you could do a lot better than the god you've come up with thus far. I think you've sold yourself a little short.

At the end of the day, hopefully we have the support of our friends and family to help us through hard times. That's the best we can hope for.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:14
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Do you then agree that just because you cannot imagine it, this does not mean it is not there?

If you agree with this I will be happy to expound my view on your question.
    Do you then agree that just because you cannot imagine it, this does not mean it is not there?

Sure. I sometimes wonder if you ever ask yourself the same question about God.

I agree that I cannot imagine it. I do however think that you must in some way assume that you do have some form of meaning, even if I may not agree with you that that is what true meaning is.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:20
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I guess you're just going to have to unequivocally prove that god exists then.
    We share different interpretations of reality. Thus you will not accept my proof.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:22
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    My meaning in life? Having fun, meeting a nice girl, educating people, finding the truth - the real truth, not some silly bogeyman.
    What 'meaning' would your life have if there was life after death?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:29
    What 'meaning' would your life have if there was life after death?
    How does the existance of life after death affect the meaning of life before death ?
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:34
    [b]Do you then agree that just because you cannot imagine it, this does not mean it is not there?

Sure. I sometimes wonder if you ever ask yourself the same question about God.

I agree that I cannot imagine it. I do however think that you must in some way assum ...[text shortened]... o have some form of meaning, even if I may not agree with you that that is what true meaning is.[/b]
    I can imagine god and if I could not, I would not use it as any justification of proof against him.

What then is true meaning, before I go on? If this is going to be a circular argument there's little point in continuing.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How does the existance of life after death affect the meaning of life before death ?
    The existance of life after death usually implies eternity in 'heaven' or 'hell', which affects the meaning of life before death, as that would determine where you would spend eternity after death.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:46
    I can imagine god and if I could not, I would not use it as any justification of proof against him.

What then is true meaning, before I go on? If this is going to be a circular argument there's little point in continuing.

So in other words, if there was no God, there would be no such thing as an Atheist?😉

I believe 'true meaning' is to be forgiven and set free from sin. I believe that true meaning is attained when a person has lasting joy, peace and happiness, which IMHO can only be attained when a person is in right standing with God. I believe that meaning is not true if it only produced temporary fleeting pleasures.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:51
    So in other words, if there was no God, there would be no such thing as an Atheist?😉

What does this mean? It really makes no sense and does not follow from my last point anyway.

I believe 'true meaning' is to be forgiven and set free from sin. I believe that true meaning is attained when a person has lasting joy, peace and happiness, which IMHO can only be attained when a person is in right standing with God. I believe that meaning is not true if it only produced temporary fleeting pleasures.

So this is going to be a circular argument. Shame, I thought we were getting somewhere.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:51
    The existance of life after death usually implies eternity in 'heaven' or 'hell', which affects the meaning of life before death, as that would determine where you would spend eternity after death.
    No it doent affect the meaning but only determines where you spend eternity. Your location through eternity has little to do with meaning.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 12:55
    What does this mean? It really makes no sense and does not follow from my last point anyway.
    It's a GK Chesterton joke. Indeed, if the concept "God" did not exist, the concept of a person who doesn't believe in God couldn't exist either. Ha ha ha ha ha!
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 13:06
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's a GK Chesterton joke. Indeed, if the concept "God" did not exist, the concept of a person who doesn't believe in God couldn't exist either. Ha ha ha ha ha!
    Chesterton's stand-up routine was legendary.

"Take my mother in law - please!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree