Are God and Faith Anti-Science and Anti-Reason? John Lennox

Are God and Faith Anti-Science and Anti-Reason? John Lennox

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
Ahh, but it depends.

Did God try to hide what he did, or not?

If he did not, there is no reason Science can't find out how God did things.

I suppose much of this hinges on one's definition of "miracle".
You ask God. I believe that if He tells you how it is, then He is hiding nothing. Your faulty assumption does not a hiding make.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Jun 19
1 edit

@eladar said
You ask God. I believe that if He tells you how it is, then He is hiding nothing. Your faulty assumption does not a hiding make.
As I read things, there is no "God".

As such, I would be certifiably crazy if I tried to ask "him".

Edit: what "faulty assumption"?

E

Moves
07 Jun 19

@BigDoggProblem

What faulty assumption? That if God created the universe then it would start at age zero and starting aging from there.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Jun 19

@eladar said
@BigDoggProblem

What faulty assumption? That if God created the universe then it would start at age zero and starting aging from there.
I don't care if it's 0 or 350000. I just want to reason back to that time and figured out what happened from there.

E

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
I don't care if it's 0 or 350000. I just want to reason back to that time and figured out what happened from there.
A reason based on your point of view, which assumes God does not exist.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Jun 19

@eladar said
A reason based on your point of view, which assumes God does not exist.
False.

Even if somehow I became a theist again someday, I would still want to know how God created all of this.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
But, are there limits to "truth" and logic?

Say, it may be a fact that human scientific knowledge may eventually hit a wall, because of our physical limitations.

[I share your disgust with people who ignore scientific evidence. I just thought it might be more interesting to talk with you than one of those types.]
It is possible that our level of comprehension has a limit or wall due to physical limitations. It seems highly improbable that we would have survived as long as we have. But, here we are.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Jun 19
1 edit

@caissad4 said
It is possible that our level of comprehension has a limit or wall due to physical limitations. It seems highly improbable that we would have survived as long as we have. But, here we are.
But, have we really been here that long?

Current scientific evaluation of evidence is that the earth is 4+ billion years old, while we have been here only for 100-200 thousand years.

All it would take is a good, solid nuclear exchange and ... so long, humans!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
They don't have to be.

To me, religion and spirituality are suited for answering questions such as, "why are we here?" and "what is our purpose in life?" and "how should I live life, from a moral standpoint?" and in general, questions more of a philosophical bent.

Science is suited for questions like, "how old is the earth/universe?" and "how did life star ...[text shortened]... think it can answer any question [when clearly it is not always the right tool for the job].
I actually agree with some of what you say, but I think when we split the two into two different things we lose something important.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jun 19
1 edit

@caissad4 said
Anti-Science is definitely a Christian Creationist attribute. You should actually read many of their mission statements where they clearly state that contrary scientific evidence to their beliefs is of no consequence and all that matters is what they believe and what the Bible says. That is definitely not science and calling it such is a deliberate lie.
As I said, faith has little to do with truth and logic.
There isn't an anti-science in Christianity, many of the foundational people of the sciences were men of faith. The anti- this or that crowd refuses to acknowledge that both have something to offer towards truth, there isn't two truths or realities, but one.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
I actually agree with some of what you say, but I think when we split the two into two different things we lose something important.
such as...?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
False.

Even if somehow I became a theist again someday, I would still want to know how God created all of this.
I believe those that have answered God's call will have an eternity to learn about the eternal one. Actually something to look forward too.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
such as...?
For one blinders hiding truths found in science not faith, and truths found in faith not science. If we spend all of our time looking around half blind we miss a lot.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
For one blinders hiding truths found in science not faith, and truths found in faith not science. If we spend all of our time looking around half blind we miss a lot.
See, that hurts to hear. I thought I had made it a point that both science and religion had their place.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jun 19

@bigdoggproblem said
See, that hurts to hear. I thought I had made it a point that both science and religion had their place.
I agreed with that, I'm saying that they are not looking into two different worlds, not two different realities.