Are satanists theists ...

Are satanists theists ...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Halifax, NS

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Yes, that would make it appear much less like something you read in some fundamentalist site's FAQ, or perhaps heard in the chorus of some atrocious Christian rock song.
Interesting that for you, if something was read or heard elsewhere, it shouldn't be learned and/or repeated.

The implication of that is that to you, one's own original thought is more important than what one learns from others.

That, my friend, leads to both ignorance and pride.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by joelek

And creativity, originality, progress and mistakes.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
10 Dec 05

So does reading fundamentalist christian websites.

j

Halifax, NS

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
So does reading fundamentalist christian websites.
... which I've never done.

j

Halifax, NS

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
And creativity, originality, progress and mistakes.
Wrong. Original thought leads to the things you mention. Throwing out others' thoughts because they're not original leads to what I mention.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Dec 05

The implication of that is that to you, one's own original thought is more important than what one learns from others.
You wouldn't know an implication if it was served to you at communion.

One cannot have understanding without original thought.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by aspviper666
yes
satanism is a theistic belief system
true satanism worships the self and self indulence
more than the worshipping of satan
but then there are different sects of satanism
but all believe in a supreme being(satan)
aspviper666: "true satanism worships the self and self indulence"

Self-indulgence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indulgence of one's appetites, desires, or inclinations; -- the opposite of self-restraint, and self-denial.

j

Halifax, NS

Moves
10 Dec 05

You wouldn't know an implication if it was served to you at communion.

One cannot have understanding without original thought.
Well, if my weakness is implication, I guess yours is comprehension.

I didn't criticize original thought anywhere in my post. I criticized throwing out non-original thoughts.

Prerequisite for logic: comprehension.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Dec 05

Well, if my weakness is implication, I guess yours is comprehension.

I didn't criticize original thought anywhere in my post. I criticized throwing out non-original thoughts.

Prerequisite for logic: comprehension.
Canada sucks.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Dec 05
1 edit

Interesting that for you, if something was read or heard elsewhere, it shouldn't be learned and/or repeated.

Where are they teaching these sorts of non sequiturs as reasoning?

Yes, that would make it appear much less like something you read in some fundamentalist site's FAQ, or perhaps heard in the chorus of some atrocious Christian rock song.

How does this statement imply that "one's own original thought is more important than what one learns from others?" It doesn't. However, it does imply that "fundamentalist site's FAQs" and "atrocious Christian rock songs" are dissimilar to the "appearance of intellect." Perhaps, the good doctor was reminding us that many fundamentalist websites and xtian rock are so devoid of intelligence as to lack even the illusion of intellect. But, no where in his statement is the sort of epistemological arrogance you imagine there.

One is tempted to observe that the pride and arrogance that produces ignorance may rest secure in the life of the accuser.

j

Halifax, NS

Moves
10 Dec 05

Canada sucks.
Good one.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Dec 05

Wrong. Original thought leads to the things you mention. Throwing out others' thoughts because they're not original leads to what I mention.
Original thought generally requires a certain amount of ignorance. This possibly explains why, for example, the most original work in scientific fields tends to be done by relatively inexperienced people, or people in scientifically inexperienced cultures.

(By 'relatively inexperienced', I mean that if, say, a PhD student and her advisor are equally insightful people, by some measure of insightfulness, then she is probably more likely to come up with an original idea. I don't mean that, say, a person ignorant of maths is more likely to prove the Riemann Hypothesis than a number theorist is.)

j

Halifax, NS

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Where are they teaching these sorts of non-sequiturs as reasoning?

[b]Yes, that would make it appear much less like something you read in some fundamentalist site's FAQ, or perhaps heard in the chorus of some atrocious Christian rock song.

How does this statement imply that "one's own original thought ...[text shortened]... that the pride and arrogance that produces ignorance may rest secure in the life of the accuser.[/b]
According to my understanding (and maybe I totally missed his point),

"The good doctor's" criticism was that my original post sounded like it was taken from a fundamentalist FAQ or a Christian rock song (and was therefore a trite slogan).

And it's non sequitur, without a hyphen.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
Original thought generally requires a certain amount of ignorance. This possibly explains why, for example, the most original work in scientific fields tends to be done by relatively inexperienced people, or people in scientifically inexperienced cultures.

(By 'relatively inexperienced', I mean that if, say, a PhD student and her advisor are equal ...[text shortened]... son ignorant of maths is more likely to prove the Riemann Hypothesis than a number theorist is.)
Does this mean there is still hope for Dr.S ?

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Does this mean there is still hope for Dr.S ?
Yes, there is hope for him, but there is more hope for his students, so stop telling him not to give homework 😛.