1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 20:17
    adam and eve were the first people here, they had even spent time with god, spoken to him, felt his love... the snake is in the garden for no more than five minutes and they're both eating apples!

my point is, taking the above into account, and the fact we strive constantly day in day out to do good in the eyes of god, are we naturally evil..?
  2. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 20:26
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    adam and eve were the first people here, they had even spent time with god, spoken to him, felt his love... the snake is in the garden for no more than five minutes and they're both eating apples!

my point is, taking the above into account, and the fact we strive constantly day in day out to do good in the eyes of god, are we naturally evil..?
    Fruit, not "apples" and no, there's nothing evil about that. I think we're naturally selfish and curious as part of our survival instinct ... selfish without discernment as to what is needed for survival and what we just want. Evil is a different thing -- murdering someone, causing harm for the sake of enjoying the pain of others and the sense of power it brings -- those are not natural that I know of. Then again, I don't strive constantly to do good in the eyes of God.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 22:50

As a small child, I always used to tell my mum that the consumption of fruit was wrong and evil. I, obviously, was very good as a small child, yet turned evil later.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 22:57

If we were naturally evil, it would be very hard to inculcate virtues in children. But most children grow into people who have friendships, loving relationships, who are disposed to compassion and honesty. The virtues seem to suit us, as social creatures. I doubt this would be the case if we were disposed either to egoism or to evil (whatever than means, exactly).
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 23:22
    ...we live with two souls...one is animal and is "evil" and the other is a reflection of the godforce and is good...the purpose of life on the planet is to struggle wiith these two souls in a place where matter is forceful and spirit is eternal....this is the "war" of light and darkness and why men kill children and men offer their souls to god on the same planet...
  6. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 23:58

The Bible doesn't say how long the serpant was in the garden.

We are natrually evil because Adam ate the fruit off the tree, however Jesus died to save us of all our sins that have been passed from Adam to us, so if we ask him into our hearts he will save us of our sins. That's the only way to get into Heaven and not Hell, not by money, good works or successfulness on earth. I don't strive to do good works for God. I do them voluntarily. God explains in His Manual that he wants us to love our neighbor, and to do works of good, not evil.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:01
    ..yes...love our neighbour...but god commanded nephi to slay laban...is laban our "neighbour" or is laban an person and those who walk with god "our neighbour"?....
  8. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:05
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    ..yes...love our neighbour...but god commanded nephi to slay laban...is laban our "neighbour" or is laban an person and those who walk with god "our neighbour"?....
    But that is crazy Mormon bull...
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:06
    ...what...what...
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:40
    ...we live with two souls...one is animal and is "evil" and the other is a reflection of the godforce and is good...the purpose of life on the planet is to struggle wiith these two souls in a place where matter is forceful and spirit is eternal....this is the "war" of light and darkness and why men kill children and men offer their souls to god on the same planet...
    What a croc.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:48
    ...be nice to me...no one is nice to me...and all i try to do is to bring light and laughter to the dreary masses....
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:49
    Originally posted by amannion
    What a croc.
    ..so plato is a croc ?....i guess you did not appreciate that classical education you got in machine shop...
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:59
    ..so plato is a croc ?....i guess you did not appreciate that classical education you got in machine shop...
    If you're going to make snide comments about someone's education it'd be worth doing it in a way that will make sense to them. Machine shop? Maybe this is some US vegie class.
    No, I'm not dissing Plato, although if you want me to I'm happy to have a go - I'm not a big fan of the authority of any one long dead greek philosopher.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 01:17
    ...dead philo ?...so dead is a reason to dismiss...then all is dismissable in 80 odd years...so sad that that which is immortal is held in the hand of the frail...a weak glass for a vital tonic...such is the
    human body and mind...ok..i give up to the crush of the masses...squeeze me out between your beer and your soccer...i abandon the field to you all and i will slip away into the night..perhaps to find an airport to fly to a loftier hieght...perhaps to spin out into the south atlantic...such is life...
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 01:21
    ...dead philo ?...so dead is a reason to dismiss...then all is dismissable in 80 odd years...so sad that that which is immortal is held in the hand of the frail...a weak glass for a vital tonic...such is the
    human body and mind...ok..i give up to the crush of the masses...squeeze me out between your beer and your soccer...i abandon the field to you all and ...[text shortened]... rport to fly to a loftier hieght...perhaps to spin out into the south atlantic...such is life...
    What a whiner. If you want to debate, go ahead, you've been offered several times. If you want to whinge and posture, go somewhere else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree