1. Meddling with things
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 19:11
    Originally posted by chinking58
    I don't know what you detect buddy? You tell me.
    I detect your equating jesus cult myth with truth.
  2. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 19:181 edit
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    ok, do you know Jim Payton
    or geoff bishop, or Mr okendon?
    or Alasdair Jaynes? am i ringing any bells here?
  3. Meddling with things
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 19:21
    Originally posted by dale21
    ok, do you know Jim Payton
    or geoff bishop, or Mr okendon?
    or Alasdair Jaynes? am i ringing any bells here?
    None whatsoever. Shall I google them or will you give me a clue?
  4. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 19:26
    None whatsoever. Shall I google them or will you give me a clue?
    Im sorry dude. i thought i knew you. when you said phil bennet.
    i feel a little silly now. oh well, later.
  5. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 21:42
    On the contrary friend; I am equating TOE with one of the myths Paul might be prophesying about in the verse quoted.

He got it perfectly: I can see those lay people who reject the sound doctrine of the Church, gathering evolution-minded teachers (websites even) around themselves to support their rebellion, even if they have to commit themselves to ridiculous myths.

6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It is a state of consciousness, as is hell; they are two ways of being in the world.

Who says ? ..... I know I know ... look it up.

EDIT: Only two ?
  7. Meddling with things
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 21:57
    Originally posted by dale21
    Im sorry dude. i thought i knew you. when you said phil bennet.
    i feel a little silly now. oh well, later.
    Phil Bennet O.B.E.

Phil captained Llanelli for 6 of his 16 seasons there, and played with great distinction 29 times for Wales scoring 166 points, being captain 8 times. During this period Wales won 3 grand slams and 4 triple crowns!

Phil played a major part in creating the greatest try ever captured on film, the Gareth Edwards effort scored for the Barbarians against New Zealand at Cardiff in 1973. The huge side-steps that made that try possible were the finest examples of his trademark, the ability to beat several determined tacklers in a small space!

Phil played in all four Lions tests in 1974 and 1977 when he was also captain. No one else has played eight tests at fly-half for the Lions, and he is second highest to Gavin Hastings in points scored with forty four in his Lions career.
  8. Meddling with things
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 22:02
    On the contrary friend; I am equating TOE with one of the myths Paul might be prophesying about in the verse quoted.

He got it perfectly: I can see those lay people who reject the sound doctrine of the Church, gathering evolution-minded teachers (websites even) around themselves to support their rebellion, even if they have to commit themselves to ridiculous myths.

Read more slowly then you'd understand. I knew exactly where you're coming from.

Which church would that be? I know christians who are content to accept the validity of evolution. By contrast, the creationists I encounter appear to be hysterical bigots who rely on a myth written 2000 years ago to explain everything. Pah! How come the jesus cult bible doesn't explain the internal combustion engine, electricity and modern medicine. Why do you pick out evolution as heretical, why not rebel against all of the modern world.
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 00:201 edit
    Indeed.

"I want this little ego of mine, this precious sphere of consciousness, to last forever. I want to be rewarded for the sacrifices I make, so that they are not really sacrifices. I want those who harm me to be punished. I want ...[text shortened]... ed, I want to be a child for eternity."

Welcome to your faith.
    Wow! I saved that and printed it out, shared it with my wife. I have to be honest and admit that some of it hit me too, in my too-many searches for "someone to tell me the 'Truth'".

The religious traditions can be useful maps or deadly traps; you can all too easily become trapped by the "trappings" of one, and you can all too easily spend your lifetime skimming map after map, while the "territory" is still waiting (my particular error, always running back to the library)....

....or you can just grab the nearest map (or not!) and go on walkabout! See ya....
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 02:231 edit
    In time, we will in fact find out if I am making the school boy error, or if you are acting out verse 4 of 2 Tim chapter 4

3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they ...[text shortened]... will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
    I think this verse is about Fox News not evolutionary theory.
  11. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 02:47
    Indeed.

"I want this little ego of mine, this precious sphere of consciousness, to last forever. I want to be rewarded for the sacrifices I make, so that they are not really sacrifices. I want those who harm me to be punished. I want to have a purpose given to me, and a path laid out before me, so that I do not have to find a way to imbue my own life w ...[text shortened]... o be special, I want to be loved, I want to be a child for eternity."

Welcome to your faith.
    This is not the Christian faith, but the stereotype of what anti-Christian's project onto Christians.

Christian faith has no "ego." The ego is a modern invention.

The Christian does not sacrifice for rewards - that is the path to destruction - when one believes they can earn bonus points.

The Christin prays vigorously for his enemies - and is demanded to love his enemies. He does not want revenge - he wants his enemies to be forgiven.

And here is the unbelievers response - he does not want his path laid out before him, he wants to make his own rules, route his own course, with no guidance. He wants to go out and find himself, to embrace his autonomy.

The Christian man has found freedom in Christ, and has been freed from the enslavement of sin. He know that freedom is an illusion that sinners maintains.

The Christian is flat on his face before his creator, completely dumbstruck, by incomprehensible love and grace shown to the Christian, who while DEAD in his sins, the Jesus drew him into his family, made him an heir to the blessings of the Lord.

no one person how brags about their own sacrifices, or did it for the reward will ever become one of the chosen. Being a child for eternity is most humbling position.

(I'm half asleep on the post, hope it came out legible.)
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 03:24
    Originally posted by Coletti
    This is not the Christian faith, but the stereotype of what anti-Christian's project onto Christians.

The Christian does not sacrifice for rewards - that is the path to destruction - when one believes they can earn bonus points.

The Christin prays vigorously for his enemies - and is de ...[text shortened]... ernity is most humbling position.

No more stupid than your wide awake ones. Tell me, why does someone who believes in predestination "pray vigorously for his enemies" when their, and everyone's else, fate was decided before the universe was created? And what does it mean to say you found "freedom in Christ" AND "know that freedom is an illusion"?

Your belief system is the most bizarre and nonsensical "Christianity" I have ever heard.
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 03:31

The Christin prays vigorously for his enemies - and is de ...[text shortened]... ernity is most humbling position.

Sounds like more ressentiment
  14. Not Kansas
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 03:44

Then why bother.
    If it is as you say, this world means nothing and therefore is nothing.
    However, it is something because I type. I type, therefore I am. I can choose what to type :'😉9)0&6%4Rtuy
    Like that.
    I have free will, so do you.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 04:35

It may be a stereotype, but it’s one that some Christians project themselves (including a number on here: you’ve surely read their posts, so I don’t need to bother to name them). They project it not only to non-Christians but to other Christians who don’t share their particular set of beliefs—literalistic Biblical inerrancy for example—and who are therefore declared to be not “true” Christians.

If bbarr’s description fits, wear it; if not, declare that it is not a description that properly applies to all Christians (which you seem to have been trying to do—bbarr would agree with that). But do not play that game that “anti-Christians” simply make this stuff up out of whole cloth and then “project” it onto Christians. I spent far too many years of my life in the “institutional” church (40 or so) not to know better. And it is not the bbarrs of the world that have driven me from it—it is all those “you’re not a true Christian so begone” folks; maybe you’re one of them, though I have not thought so until now.

And I am not the only person on here who has tried to live their life “in Christ,” who has sought to find Paul’s ouketi ego and the grace of en emoi Christos, who has suffered such attacks—from Christians—because they belong to the wrong church, or they refuse to proclaim their certainty of a particular set of dogmas, or have refused to condemn all others of another faith. You know who they are as well as I do, unless you just selectively read before you post. Listen—listen with an open heart—sometime, to some of those on here who have left the Christian faith because they were denied the ability to use their brains, because they were stifled in their personal search for meaning, because they were inflicted with demands for a false humility that denied their personhood, because their fellow Christians tried to turn them into little more than Bible-quoting clones….

And here is the unbelievers response - he does not want his path laid out before him, he wants to make his own rules, route his own course, with no guidance. He wants to go out and find himself, to embrace his autonomy.

This kind of knee-jerk generalization is unworthy of you. And it does not reflect bbarr’s position; I thought you would’ve read enough of his posts in other threads to realize that by now (maybe not; if not, you assume too much—or too little). When Christians slander non-Christians this way, when Christians “project” the very characteristics that bbarr outlined, what?—what do you expect?

Enough. Bbarr can defend himself. I, personally, recognized far too much of myself in his description, and I thank him for that. Anyone, of any faith, ought to ask him/herself how much of bbarr’s description all too uncomfortably fits—that would be a stance of humility. And if I’m not a “chosen one” in someone else’s eyes, so be it; and if I’m not a “true Christian” in someone else’s eyes, so be it; and if I am left standing with bbarr and others when the churches are done with their purges of all those who don’t “think right,” so be it—as Luther so eloquently said: “Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise. God have mercy. Amen.”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree