1. Earth Prime
    Moves
    08 May '06 03:02
    "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" - Matthew 6:33

If you don't claim a savior. How are you happy? If you do, can you all say that you are happy? Can you track your emotions by the time you spend in the word?

Is it all an illusion? Does the Bible give people a false hope, therefore a happier being? Does God really grant good things to those who put him first? Thank you.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 May '06 04:21
    Originally posted by Coconut
    "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" - Matthew 6:33

If you don't claim a savior. How are you happy? If you do, can you all say that you are happy? Can you track your emotions by the time you spend in the word?

Is it all an illusion? Does the Bible give people a false hope, therefore a happier being? Does God really grant good things to those who put him first? Thank you.
    I am not particularly happy, no.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    08 May '06 05:18

I'm very happy.
    How am I happy? I love my wife and kids and know that they love me. I have good friends and family. I'm able to do the things I want to do. I like my job.
    Saviour? Word? No need for them here.

Is it an illusion?
    Probably, but it's one that I create for myself.
  4. Earth Prime
    Moves
    08 May '06 12:37
    Originally posted by amannion
    I'm very happy.
    How am I happy? I love my wife and kids and know that they love me. I have good friends and family. I'm able to do the things I want to do. I like my job.
    Saviour? Word? No need for them here.

Is it an illusion?
    Probably, but it's one that I create for myself.
    So you believe the lies you tell yourself to make you think that you're happy?
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 May '06 12:43

I doubt there is such a thing as a person who is happy on a permanent basis. Life throws many challenges and situation syour way and whether you are a theist or an atheist does not change the fact that you can be both happy and sad for short or prolonged periods of time. I am currently happy, I will not be so forever.

Do you claim that those who believe in a saviour with a whole heart are happy permanently? And if so, are you one of them?
  6. .
    Moves
    08 May '06 13:57
    You can only reach the kingdom of God right now at this moment. You shall not search it anywhere else. Not in the past or the future.There is only now and there will always be...

Everyone has to pay the price for their happiness but not more than they ought to.

That is the beauty of justice.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 May '06 14:00
    Originally posted by Kashgarian
    You can only reach the kingdom of God right now at this moment. You shall not search it anywhere else. Not in the past or the future.There is only now and there will always be...

Everyone has to pay the price for their happiness but not more than they ought to.

That is the beauty of justice.
    Was there a point somewhere in there?
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 May '06 15:27

Yes, I'm quite happy.

How are you happy?
    I just am. I do the things I like, with people I like, I enjoy life and am happy with the goals that I've set and those that I've already achieved. I happen to savour life without a saviour.

If you do, can you all say that you are happy?
    Only each individual can answer if he's happy or not.

Is it all an illusion?
    Does it matter if we cannot know? If we can know, then we must follow the evidence.

Does the Bible give people a false hope, therefore a happier being?
    It might. But it might also create doubt which may lead to anguish. Exactly the same could be said about atheism. The idea is: be truthful with yourself. Don't force yourself to try to believe something and be open to changing your views if your beliefs change.

Does God really grant good things to those who put him first?
    What does it mean to put him first? Can you know what he prefers? If you are a theist, wouldn't being true to yourself (and others) denote the utmost respect for his creation?

Thank you.
    You're welcome. 🙂
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 May '06 15:31
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I doubt there is such a thing as a person who is happy on a permanent basis. Life throws many challenges and situation syour way and whether you are a theist or an atheist does not change the fact that you can be both happy and sad for short or prolonged periods of time. I am currently happy, I will not be so forever.

Do you claim that those who believe in a saviour with a whole heart are happy permanently? And if so, are you one of them?
    This is a problem of the verb "to be" since it denotes property and state.

In Portuguese and Spanish, the separation into two different verbs (Ser (denoting property) and Estar(denoting state)) is much clear in this aspect.

If you say I am (Ser) happy, it means you're overall a happy person that has had a good life, but it doesn't mean you were happy all the time.

If you say I am (Estar) happy, it means you're currently in a state of happiness.

To be(Ser) happy doesn't mean you were (estar) happy all the time.
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    08 May '06 16:49

i am quite happy thank you very much

😀
  11. Joined
    25 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '06 17:41

i was happy until i read your post.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 May '06 17:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I am not particularly happy, no.
    Acid, bitter and sad.
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 May '06 17:51
    From a secular point of view, I find the Greek notion of eudaimonia more useful than that of happiness, because surely the point of life is not satisfied purely by achieving a subjective "feeling", but is also to do with notions of fulfillment etc.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 May '06 17:53
    Originally posted by dottewell
    From a secular point of view, I find the Greek notion of eudaimonia more useful than that of happiness, because surely the point of life is not satisfied purely by achieving a subjective "feeling", but is also to do with notions of fulfillment etc.
    You da mon, yeah.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:22
    Originally posted by dottewell
    I have some questions:
    Isn't happiness intertwined with notions of fulfillment?
    Can fulfillment be truly achieved without happiness? And if not, isn't then happiness that should be seeked?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree