As Christmas approaches...

As Christmas approaches...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Dec 19

@rookie54

demand?

F

Moves
20 Dec 19

@divegeester said
Does Christmas mean anything to you, if so, what and how does that meaning or the season itself impact you, your thinking and behaviour at all?
Increased family activity. Relatives from out of town turn up for a few days. Usually, anyway. However, this year I shall be alone between 23rd-26th as my family are travelling 300km to visit a nephew who's training to be a Catholic priest but is confined to the city where he lives for 2 years. In my solitude, Christmas lunch will most likely be spicy Sumatran food.

Moves
20 Dec 19

@lemondrop said
I would tell you where to stick your comment but in the spirit of Xmas I won't
What you said was quite sad.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
20 Dec 19

@fmf said
Increased family activity. Relatives from out of town turn up for a few days. Usually, anyway. However, this year I shall be alone between 23rd-26th as my family are travelling 300km to visit a nephew who's training to be a Catholic priest but is confined to the city where he lives for 2 years. In my solitude, Christmas lunch will most likely be spicy Sumatran food.
That sounds pretty good; we are on Curry for the 25th.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
20 Dec 19

@divegeester said
Whether you are Christian, other religion, atheist, agnostic, or a combination of these.

Does Christmas mean anything to you, if so, what and how does that meaning or the season itself impact you, your thinking and behaviour at all?
I always take a long break of around 3 weeks to be with the wife and kids, so it's great from that perspective.

It's a bit ironic as in the UK the highest suicide rates are over the festive season; quite sad really.

I don't find myself reflecting any differently, as I'm I'm permanently aware of the pangs of distress of the world, and a need for a better way of doing things. If the western world would paply the" Christmas Spirit" for the other 364 days then I'm sure that there would be less wars etc.

Moves
20 Dec 19
1 edit

Ambivalence.
In broad societal terms, it's nice to have many projecting consideration and goodness.

But personally, I find I "live the moment" with great difficulty. Nostalgia creeps in, then sadness.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
20 Dec 19

@divegeester said
Odd that nobody has gotten this so far; "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:.."

Christmas is simply the celebration of the birth of the savior Jesus Christ, and all that that entails.

Much is attached to it that has little resemblance to the meaning of Christmas.

Moves
20 Dec 19

@secondson said
Odd that nobody has gotten this so far; "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:.."

Christmas is simply the celebration of the birth of the savior Jesus Christ, and all that that entails.

You'd do well to brush up on the history of December 25th and its pagan origins.

If you're not interested in going back further than the birth of Christ; you might begin at Rome's "Saturnalia".

h

Moves
20 Dec 19

Christmas is not simply the celebration of the birth of the savior Jesus Christ, and all that that entails. It is much different for many of us. For some it is sharply focused on family and friends and our lives today.

At our house we make our once-a-year visit to the local Lutheran church on Christmas Eve. At the end of the service everyone stands in a wide circle around the sanctuary and holds a candle. We dim the lights and sing Silent Night.

It is moving, spiritually affecting. There is no other feeling in the world quite like it.

Reading some of the posts in this forum, that once-a-year feeling is something others are able to feel every week, maybe every day. That is wonderful – they are very lucky.

Merry Christmas to everyone for whom this season fills the heart and soul.

And Merry Christmas to the rest of us too 🙂

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
20 Dec 19

@kellyjay said
@rookie54

demand?
that's the word i chose
i chose this word because it means exactly the way i feel

w

Moves
20 Dec 19

@hope said
Christmas is not simply the celebration of the birth of the savior Jesus Christ, and all that that entails. It is much different for many of us. For some it is sharply focused on family and friends and our lives today.

At our house we make our once-a-year visit to the local Lutheran church on Christmas Eve. At the end of the service everyone stands in a wide circle around th ...[text shortened]... ryone for whom this season fills the heart and soul.

And Merry Christmas to the rest of us too 🙂
Well said.

You should post here more. This forum could use someone like you.

h

Moves
20 Dec 19

A thumbs down to "This forum could use someone like you"

rough crowd

Moves
20 Dec 19

@hope said
A thumbs down to "This forum could use someone like you"

rough crowd
Some people will thumb down a post just because of their opinion of the poster who made it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Dec 19

@secondson said

Even though it's about 3 months off?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Dec 19

@suzianne said
Even though it's about 3 months off?
Wheel of Fortune.

Once it gets stuck on a space I like, it never moves again.