1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 11:31
    Originally posted by josephw
    God's will for my life is perfect. I pray(talk)to God in conjunction with His Word to learn what His will for my life is.
    What if you believe that He has "told" you that it is His "will" for you to do something that you don't want to do?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 11:36
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"..,but ignore it when it fails?"

Is God lacking anything? Does God need to answer all my prayers to my satisfaction? Is God a wishing well?

God's will for my life is perfect. I pray(talk)to God in conjunction with His Word to learn what His will for my life is.[/b]
    is gods will for the people who suffer physical/sexual abuse on a daily basis perfect? why would got want that for them?
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 13:021 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I was watching 'survivor' the other day and one of the competitors was praying before each attempt in a competition. When her team was leading, she made a comment to the effect that God was clearly helping her and her team (she called herself a 'prayer warrior'😉. Yet they lost the challenge in the end.
    I am fairly sure however that she didn't then say 'G nk God when they succeed and attribute all success to God, but ignore it when it fails?
    How many posters here behave similarly ie believe that praying helps them and thank God when they succeed and attribute all success to God, but ignore it when it fails?

While you castigate me for blantant dishonesty, you certainly are a sneaky slimy little guy.

Why don't you break up your question into two parts so as not to press your agenda.

1. First ask how many posters believe that praying helps them.

2. Second ask how many of those thank and attribute all "success" to God.

You're compacting the matters together just exposes your agenda to portray praying Christians as frivolous and superfiscial.

We see you.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 16:02
    Originally posted by jaywill
    You're compacting the matters together just exposes your agenda to portray praying Christians as frivolous and superfiscial.
    You are over doing the mind reading. I am more interested in the interesting positive feedback effect in which people only see something when it gives a certain response and ignore it when it doesn't then claim to see a pattern. I thought it looked really really stupid when I saw it on survivor, and I wonder if Christians can see the stupidity of it or whether they overlook it because they share the same religion. Do you see what I am talking about? Do you see how stupid it looks?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 16:09
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    does god answer any prayers?
    Yes.

Sometimes, the answer is no.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 16:581 edit
    You are over doing the mind reading. I am more interested in the interesting positive feedback effect in which people only see something when it gives a certain response and ignore it when it doesn't then claim to see a pattern. I thought it looked really really stupid when I saw it on survivor, and I wonder if Christians can see the stupidity of it or wh ...[text shortened]... ey share the same religion. Do you see what I am talking about? Do you see how stupid it looks?
    To unbelievers, the Son of God being crucified for all our sins and then being
    able to raise Himself from the grave after three days and nights seems stupid.
    Christianity is probably the most stupid religion in the world to the unbeliever.
    An invisible God, who created a visible world and is identified as three persons,
    yet remains only one God seems stupid to the unbeliever. To the unbeliever.
    the flying spaghetti monster is just as credible and just as stupid. Those that
    choose not to believe are not forced to believe and it does them no harm so
    I ask again what harm does it do to believe God sometimes answers prayers?

P.S. I think many medical doctors think it does a lot of good to believe.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 17:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Christianity is probably the most stupid religion in the world to the unbeliever.
    An invisible God, who created a visible world and is identified as three persons,
    yet remains only one God seems stu ...[text shortened]... s answers prayers?

the harm is the dubious morals behind praying. if you pray to save your ill child and the woman next door is praying to save her ill child, yours lives and you thank god. you are suggesting that you are better than the woman next door. if god gets involved in such things then it makes him look like a monster, he will save 1 sick child because somebody prayed and but stand by when 250,000 women,children and men are killed in an instant by a tsunami.

i cant even begin to understand why anybody would think the concept of praying to a god to help 'you' is an acceptable idea. we should be all in this together, humanity should be united, if our 'god' can help one then he should help all.

there really isnt much difference between praying and begging.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 17:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes.

wow, what a coincidence. the flying spaghetti monster also sometimes answers no.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 17:24
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes.

does god use boolean logic gates to decide which prayers to answer?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 17:53
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    the harm is the dubious morals behind praying. if you pray to save your ill child and the woman next door is praying to save her ill child, yours lives and you thank god. you are suggesting that you are better than the woman next door. if god gets involved in such things then it makes him look like a monster, he will save 1 sick child because somebody p ...[text shortened]... then he should help all.

there really isnt much difference between praying and begging.
    there really isnt much difference between praying and begging?

not so there are many types of prayers, thanksgiving, supplication, petition etc.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 18:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there really isnt much difference between praying and begging?

not so there are many types of prayers, thanksgiving, supplication, petition etc.
    thanking god for something is suggesting what you have is down to god. he has therefore decided to give you, for example your dinner and has chosen not to give the starving family in somalia nothing for dinner. it you think god has provided for you and not for the other person and you are happy to thank him is terrible. you thank him and praise him to make him happy. to me its not to dissimilar to a prisoner begging for kindness from a captor.

supplication and petitioning are both still asking god to do something for you. which doesnt sit well for me. its like loving a government that helps the rich and not the poor and not giving a crap because your in the rich half.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 18:22
    Those that choose not to believe are not forced to believe and it does them no harm so
    I ask again what harm does it do to believe God sometimes answers prayers?
    Your question has been answered.
    Now answer mine. Does it, or does it not, look stupid to you when you see a person praying for help in a game/sport and thanking God for every point won, and congratulating themselves for being good at prayer, but saying nothing whenever a point is lost.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 19:081 edit
    Your question has been answered.
    Now answer mine. Does it, or does it not, look stupid to you when you see a person praying for help in a game/sport and thanking God for every point won, and congratulating themselves for being good at prayer, but saying nothing whenever a point is lost.
    No. I am not an unbeliever like you. That is what I was trying to
    point out to you. But it seems to have flew right past you.

P.S. I think the idea of most sports figures, who pray to God, is
    that they want God to free their mind of any thoughts that would
    keep them from doing their best. So when they win, it is just an
    added blessing from God. Even if they lose it doesn't mean God
    has let them down, as you think. Your thinking is not the same as
    a believer.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 19:12
    Lets get this straight:
    God is asking us, to ask God, to make sure that we sanctify his name?
    No it is Jesus his son that is telling us to pray that God's name which is Jehovah to be santified. Most do not know his name, such as our trinitarian RJH. He has been confused and tricked into thinking Jesus and Jehovah are the same being but as Jesus himself said we have to know God's name in order to have Jehovah hear our prayers.
    Then when we actually know God's personal name then we can begin to have a personal relationship with him and in turn share that with others and they too can have that relationship and the benifits that come from that.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Apr '12 19:15
    yet remains only one God seems stu ...[text shortened]... s answers prayers?

Yes the way you explain it it does sound stupid and makes no sense at all. But then you have said you don't even understand it so how can anyone expect you to make sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree