"At greater cost than humanly imaginable"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

"Eternal life is a gift and it's free, but at greater cost than humanly imaginable." ~ a Christian on another thread.

How is it "at greater cost than humanly imaginable"?

Sounds like an attempted sleight-of-hyperbole.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said
"Eternal life is a gift and it's free, but at greater cost than humanly imaginable." ~ a Christian on another thread.

How is it "at greater cost than humanly imaginable"?

Sounds like an attempted sleight-of-hyperbole.
You were a Christian for 20+ years and you really don’t understand that?

Do you genuinely not know or is this just a thread to initiate discussion on that question?

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
You were a Christian for 20+ years and you really don’t understand that?
I am an agnostic atheist and I am inviting Christians here to explain what they believe. If you don't want to, that's fine.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said
I am an agnostic atheist and I am inviting Christians here to explain what they believe. If you don't want to, that's fine.
But since you said you were a Christian for 20+ years, I don’t see why you would need what Christians believe explained to you.

Seems odd.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
But since you said you were a Christian for 20+ years, I don’t see why you would need what Christians believe explained to you.Seems odd.
If you don't want to explain what you personally believe, as I said, that's fine.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said
If you don't want to explain what you personally believe, as I said, that's fine.
I have no problems explaining what I believe.

I just find it odd that someone who says he was a Christian for 20+ years would need what Christians believe explained to him.

Seems odd.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I just find it odd that someone who says he was a Christian for 20+ years would need what Christians believe explained to him.
Thanks for your contribution.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

To Christians:

According to your beliefs, what "cost" is beyond human imagination?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said
To Christians:

According to your beliefs, what "cost" is beyond human imagination?
Do you know what it’s like to be God?

To give up Heaven and lower yourself to the stature of a man and then be reviled by men, whipped like a dog and nailed to a cross - all to save people who despise you?

It’s not humanly imaginable because you’re not God and don’t know what God gave up to leave Heaven and save man, and I doubt you could even imagine sacrificing your life for people who despise you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Do you know what it’s like to be God?

To give up Heaven and lower yourself to the stature of a man and then be reviled by men, whipped like a dog and nailed to a cross - all to save people who despise you?

It’s not humanly imaginable because you’re not God and don’t know what God gave up to leave Heaven and save man, and I doubt you could even imagine sacrificing your life for people who despise you.
“For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

(Romans 5:7-9)

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Do you know what it’s like to be God?To give up Heaven and lower yourself to the stature of a man and then be reviled by men, whipped like a dog and nailed to a cross - all to save people who despise you?
It does not sound beyond the human imagination at all. It was written by humans. And you are a human explaining it. It takes hardly any imagination whatsoever to imagine what you are describing. I don't see how it is not "humanly imaginable".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said
It does not sound beyond the human imagination at all. It was written by humans. And you are a human explaining it. It takes hardly any imagination whatsoever to imagine what you are describing. I don't see how it is not "humanly imaginable".
So you can imagine what it’s like to be God and to give up Heaven?

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
It’s not humanly imaginable because you’re not God and don’t know what God gave up to leave Heaven and save man.
God was still in "Heaven" surely? And he knew what was going to happen, right? This narrative doesn't sound unimaginable at all.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
So you can imagine what it’s like to be God and to give up Heaven?
What I said was I don't find what you are describing to be beyond the human imagination in any way. Given God's supposed indestructibility and omniscience, I don't see how there is an unimaginable "cost" at all.

F

Moves
07 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I doubt you could even imagine sacrificing your life for people who despise you.
I could imagine sacrificing my life - if it would help - to save the lives of strangers on a train, even if I disliked them, yes. I wouldn't be keen on doing it, but it's certainly not beyond human imagination.