1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 21:47
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    Both of you have missed the point; if the people who believe are morons, how come they are still around 2000 years later?
    Every attempt to stop them from breeding has failed.

I don't see how existence (even after 2000 years) stops them from being stoopid.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 22:11
    Both of you have missed the point; if the people who believe are morons, how come they are still around 2000 years later?
    Cockroaches are around for 300 millions and will be around a lot longer then we humans. Stupidity doesn't matter for survival.
    To be honest, I think religious guys are fitter for survival.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 22:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I was in church today and something hit me that I had never considered. It was communion Sunday and the passage that was read was from the last supper when Jesus says that for the person about to betray him, it would have been better had he not been born. I had never considered this as a statement about abortion, but could not help but examine that.
    Interesting that you should see it that way.
    It seems to me you have a way of reading into scripture whatever meaning you want it to have.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 22:47
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It is quite surprising that presidents in the US play the religious card so blatantly, considering their constitution basically separates religion from State so clearly.

But don't bother asking me anything about religion, to me it's a fairy tale and anyone who believes in god is a moron.
    Clearly you are misinformed as usual. Our constitution says that the state shall not establish or sanction any particular religion. It doesn't say that religion can't play a role in our institutions or our society.

IMO only a moron would think that someone who believes in God is a moron. There are lots of morons out there. Some believe in God, and some don't.
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 23:22
    Originally posted by josephw
    Clearly you are misinformed as usual. Our constitution says that the state shall not establish or sanction any particular religion. It doesn't say that religion can't play a role in our institutions or our society.

IMO only a moron would think that someone who believes in God is a moron. There are lots of morons out there. Some believe in God, and some don't.
    I'll defend Shav on this since I have a feeling (I could be wrong) we agree on this. Not literally everyone who believes in God is a moron. Many smart people are told from the minute they're born to believe in God and they cannot conceive of the world in a different way. Many people have something terrible happen to them and desperate circumstances make them "find God". There is even an argument saying people are hard wired to believe in God--that perhaps a religious lifestyle is a manifestation of people's tendency to be superstitious.

The bottom line is there is nothing logical about believing in God. For people who need God as a crutch all I can say is I'm glad nothing terrible has happened to me in my life that requires belief in God. But in the event that it does there is no possible chance I'd ever belief in something that is so clearly a way of explaining existence thousands of years ago to make me feel better.

It makes me laugh thinking about the parent who guards the secret from his toddler son that Santa Claus is made up, all the while having the same faith as his little boy in something equally non-existent.

In most cases, it's enough to make me call that parent a moron too. But to be clear, being an atheist does not exempt you from being a moron and I don't think anybody has said that so far...
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 18:43
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    I'll defend Shav on this since I have a feeling (I could be wrong) we agree on this. Not literally everyone who believes in God is a moron. Many smart people are told from the minute they're born to believe in God and they cannot conceive of the world in a different way. Many people have something terrible happen to them and desperate circumstances make ...[text shortened]... oes not exempt you from being a moron and I don't think anybody has said that so far...
    Your defence of the idea that something, such as a God, does not exist is illogical. Everything that exists is evidence for the existence of a creator. The idea that everything that exists came from nothing is an illusion.
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 19:25
    Your defence of the idea that something, such as a God, does not exist is illogical. Everything that exists is evidence for the existence of a creator. The idea that everything that exists came from nothing is an illusion.
    This goes round in circles. where did the creator come from?
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 20:39
    Joe is just obediently reciting a maxim from Sunday school.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 20:56
    Everything that exists is evidence for the existence of a creator.
    I hate to have the Dude say things more elegantly than me, but effing hell. what a crock of faeces.

Gods, the flying spaghetti monster, faeries... they're all the bloody same. It's been said before, so bare with me whilst I quietly repeat it for you:

WHERE THE F DID GOD COME FROM?
    See. That's your whole argument. And it falls apart because of the same question an atheist fails to answer.

Inherently God, to create everything, is highly evolved. EVERYTHING which is highly evolved, has evolved from something else. END OF STORY.

SO PISS OFF!
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 22:28
    Not from your imagination.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 22:29
    Originally posted by telerion
    Joe is just obediently reciting a maxim from Sunday school.
    Joe is obediently telling you the truth.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 22:42
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I hate to have the Dude say things more elegantly than me, but effing hell. what a crock of faeces.

Gods, the flying spaghetti monster, faeries... they're all the bloody same. It's been said before, so bare with me whilst I quietly repeat it for you:

WHERE THE F DID GOD COME FROM?
    See. That's your whole argument. And it falls apart because of the ...[text shortened]... HING which is highly evolved, has evolved from something else. END OF STORY.

SO PISS OFF!
    The question, "where did God come from?", is irrational.

You have been told before and you just can't seem to comprehend it.

God is eternal. God has always existed. God is not evolving. God did not "come" from anywhere. God is everywhere.

If you don't believe in a creator God, then why do you keep asking where he came from?

I'll tell you why you keep asking. It's because you have been programed with the mindset that everything is evolving, and that there is no God. Therefor you are mentally incapable of grasping the simple concept of a God. Or that there just may be those of us who have had a genuine experience with a real God.
    You really don't know, do you?

Why don't you just quit fretting about it and get on with your life?
  13. Gangster Land
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 23:02
    The question, "where did God come from?", is irrational.

You have been told before and you just can't seem to comprehend it.

God is eternal. God has always existed. God is not evolving. God did not "come" from anywhere. God is everywhere.

If you don't believe in a creator God, then why do you keep asking where he came from?

I'll tell you why you ...[text shortened]... know, do you?

Why don't you just quit fretting about it and get on with your life?
    Yeah Shav, there is no room in the Kingdom of Heaven for those who ask difficult questions. You should know that by now.

Besides, if you start with the premise that God has always existed, a lot of these problems you are continually going on about are instantly and easily solved.

So, to sum up...

First, without any demonstrable evidence in support of their accuracy simply follow these two simple rules:

1. Believe unquestioningly that God has and always will exist.
    2. If you find yourself having trouble believing in something without any evidence to support it, refer to rule #1.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 23:16
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Yeah Shav, there is no room in the Kingdom of Heaven for those who ask difficult questions. You should know that by now.

Besides, if you start with the premise that God has always existed, a lot of these problems you are continually going on about are instantly and easily solved.

So, to sum up...

First, without any demonstrable evidence in suppo ...[text shortened]... self having trouble believing in something without any evidence to support it, refer to rule #1.
    I'd like to stay and play awhile, but unfortunately I gotta go.

Is the question, "where did God come from?" a difficult question?

How about, where did the idea of evolution come from?
    And I don't mean Darwin.
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 01:17
    I'd like to stay and play awhile, but unfortunately I gotta go.

Is the question, "where did God come from?" a difficult question?

How about, where did the idea of evolution come from?
    And I don't mean Darwin.
    Are you thinking "Satan"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree