1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 10:48
    Slowly but surely, atheism is beginning to creep into popular media on an increasing basis. We have several examples:

*House - The main character, Gregory House, makes his atheism quite explicit during many episodes. His disdain for religion is frequently mentioned. Unfortunately, this is offset by the fact that House is an acerbic malcontent.

*Bones - Once again, the main character is a vocal atheist. She consistently bashes religion during the show.

*Real Time With Bill Maher - Although Maher has denied being an antheist, he's close enough for my purposes. He routinely satirizes religion on his show.

*George Carlin - Carlin is a well known atheist who frequently disparages religion.

*Richard Dawkins, et al - Books dealing with atheism, and/or attacking religion have been selling like hotcakes in recent years. Richard Dawkins, Michael Shermer, Christopher Hitchens and others have all had best sellers.

It seems that atheists and the non-religious are "coming out of the closet" in greater and greater numbers. I think the fundamentalist surge has crested and we're due for a great backlash. How long before we have some serious Presidential candidates who don't feel the need to demonstrate their religiosity?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 11:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Slowly but surely, atheism is beginning to creep into popular media on an increasing basis. We have several examples:

*House - The main character, Gregory House, makes his atheism quite explicit during many episodes. His disdain for religion is frequently mentioned. Unfortunately, this is offset by the fact that House is an acerbic malcontent.

*Bones ...[text shortened]... e serious Presidential candidates who don't feel the need to demonstrate their religiosity?
    Dr. House is a God among men.
    It seems that atheists and the non-religious are "coming out of the closet" in greater and greater numbers. I think the fundamentalist surge has crested and we're due for a great backlash. How long before we have some serious Presidential candidates who don't feel the need to demonstrate their religiosity?
    It's called free thinking. People are stopping to have fear of saying their opinion. People are getting more and more educated and are stopping to believe something just because they were indoctrinated to.
    I hope you soon have some Presidential candidates who don't try to win some more votes just by winning religious sympathy. But that's a long way to go. Religion is supported in the US and there's a huge religious lobby. I guess it unites people under the same pretensions and stops them from questioning the real important stuff. God bless America....
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 12:16

*Bones ...[text shortened]... e serious Presidential candidates who don't feel the need to demonstrate their religiosity?
    I haven't really thought about this until your post, but it seems that atheists are a lot like pentecostal snake handlers in the sense that they are bitter and complain about everybody else. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 13:091 edit

*Bones e serious Presidential candidates who don't feel the need to demonstrate their religiosity?
    How do you know they are atheist, they bash religion on a regular
    basis, how tolerate and telling that is the sign of an atheist on TV.
    You wonder if that trait is going to go with the popularity of the belief
    system, if someone in power possess that belief will they too feel
    compelled to attack religion as a matter of practice and how far will
    they think is acceptable?
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 19:14
    I think if there was ever a time where an aetheist could gain presidency it would be after Bush. So many of the problems of the world are of a religious nature that someone from outside that framework is the only person capable of solving them, or at least a religious person who uses a solution not based in religion.

The more people get educated and think about what religion really is there will be more atheists. Because unless you've been indoctrinated with religion from day one or your circumstances have made you a desperate person, a sensible person can't become religious.

The fact that there are more on TV and in pop culture is encouraging to me to some extent.
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 19:20
    Another thing about atheists coming out of the closet--it's not that I think people were ashamed to be atheists, but the concept of not believing in God is blasphemy for a lot of people. It offends people when you tell them you don't believe in God. Part of not advertising one's disbelief in God was consideration.

Personally, I find people who believe in God offensive!

They are the ones holding humans back from real progress since they're stuck in the Middle Ages. I can post this on a forum but still, I wouldn't tell someone that to their face out of consideration. But if you can't read my opinions on a forum then you shoudn't be reading a forum.::😀
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 21:38
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    Another thing about atheists coming out of the closet--it's not that I think people were ashamed to be atheists, but the concept of not believing in God is blasphemy for a lot of people. It offends people when you tell them you don't believe in God. Part of not advertising one's disbelief in God was consideration.

Personally, I find people who believe ...[text shortened]... . But if you can't read my opinions on a forum then you shoudn't be reading a forum.::😀
    What would be your opinion of say, a Jewish hospital? Would an institution like this hold society back?
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:28
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    What would be your opinion of say, a Jewish hospital? Would an institution like this hold society back?
    A hospital has a set of beliefs? wow. Next they will be wanting consideration for alterations. I tell you it's the thin end of the wedge....
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:32
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    A hospital has a set of beliefs? wow. Next they will be wanting consideration for alterations. I tell you it's the thin end of the wedge....
    It is widely known that you can't get an abortion in a Catholic hospital.
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:36
    It is widely known that you can't get an abortion in a Catholic hospital.
    I guess they wouldn't object to removing the ringo from a non-jew?
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:39
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    I guess they wouldn't object to removing the ringo from a non-jew?
    I don't know what that is.
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 22:45
    I bet you don't.😉
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 23:391 edit
    I haven't really thought about this until your post, but it seems that atheists are a lot like pentecostal snake handlers in the sense that they are bitter and complain about everybody else. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
    I wonder if that's what Strom Thurmond said about them "uppity blacks" during the civil rights era.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 00:55
    I wonder if that's what Strom Thurmond said about them "uppity blacks" during the civil rights era.
    I'm sure he did. But as we know now, it didn't stop him from "crossin the tracks."
  15. Illinois
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 01:08

Christians can thank the Religious Right for the backlash. Hypocrisy is never very appealing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree