1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:30
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Have you seen the attendance at NFL games recently?
    What link do you seek to draw between attendance at NFL games and "atheist morals"?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:45
    Originally posted by @whodey
    It bothers me?

Have you seen the attendance at NFL games recently?

Why is this my own personal issue?
    Well, yes, you were clearly very, very bothered by the anthem thingy ["they should all lose their jobs and we should boycot the NFL"] and you are clearly very bothered by people saying mean things about your president.

Both of which are somewhat amusing to me.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Oct '17 23:46
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What link do you seek to draw between attendance at NFL games and "atheist morals"?
    Oh, frankly, I was under the impression Whodey had lost interest in that topic.

Perhaps he still has something to say.

I look forward to it.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 04:30
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    "Anyone who dishonors father or mother must be put to death. Such a person is guilty of a capital offense."

Leviticus 20:9

Which part of the above are you struggling with?
    If you had not stopped reading at Leviticus you may have noticed that the Old Testament Law is not in force today (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15).
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 04:32
    Originally posted by @apathist
    The bible says whatever you want.
    No the carnal me wants to satisfy the desires of the flesh. The Bible says I shouldn't.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 04:41
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If you had not stopped reading at Leviticus you may have noticed that the Old Testament Law is not in force today (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15).
    So have you decided whether capital punishment is morally justifiable yet?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:12
    But whatever view you end up preferring [because you're still undecided, right?], that will be "objective", whichever view you opt for, yes?
    I have no preference on the matter. If you can support either view with scripture I will listen to you.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:17
    I have no preference on the matter. If you can support either view with scripture I will listen to you.
    I see, so it's about your preference, is it; although you don't have any preference at this point in time. So, would it be fair to say that your belief in a supernatural lawgiver does not provide you with an "absolute" and "object" moral standard that you can apply to the question of whether it is morally justifiable for a government to kill its citizens as a punishment for crimes?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:26
    I see, so it's about your preference, is it; although you don't have any preference at this point in time. So, would it be fair to say that your belief in a supernatural lawgiver does not provide you with an "absolute" and "object" moral standard that you can apply to the question of whether it is morally justifiable for a government to kill its citizens as a punishment for crimes?
    I told you I have no personal preference on the matter, and that if I did have a view on the matter in the future it would have to be supported by scripture.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:301 edit
    I told you I have no personal preference on the matter, and that if I did have a view on the matter in the future it would have to be supported by scripture.
    It seems the Bible has left you morally and intellectually paralyzed with regard to the question of the rightness or wrongness of a government killing its own citizens. Seems to me to be quite a glaring weakness you have there with your moral compass.

Right now, you say, you have no personal preference on the matter. When you do manage to work out what your personal preference is, will you be unilaterally declaring it - i.e. whatever your personal preference ends up being - to be a "universal truth"?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:40
    It seems the Bible has left you morally and intellectually paralyzed with regard to the question of the rightness or wrongness of a government killing its own citizens. Seems to me to be quite a glaring weakness you have there with your moral compass.

Right now, you say, you have no personal preference on the matter. When you do manage to work out what your ...[text shortened]... declaring it - i.e. whatever your personal preference ends up being - to be a "universal truth"?
    I already told you I don't have a personal preference on the issue and that I would be guided by scripture if I were in a position where I needed to decide.

Does the fact that you currently have a personal preference on the issue mean that you are intellectually and morally paralyzed?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:44
    Does the fact that you currently have a personal preference on the issue mean that you are intellectually and morally paralyzed?
    The fact that I have a moral stance on governments killing their citizens as a punishment for crimes is an indication that I have a functioning moral compass.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:46
    I already told you I don't have a personal preference on the issue and that I would be guided by scripture if I were in a position where I needed to decide.
    When you see homosexuals being executed in some Middle Eastern countries from time to time, maybe by being thrown from rooftops to their death below, does your moral prism, such as it is, mean you are morally ambivalent about those acts?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:491 edit
    The fact that I have a moral stance on governments killing their citizens as a punishment for crimes is an indication that I have a functioning moral compass.
    Ok so you believe it is always wrong for all governments to kill citizens for crimes, is that correct? Seems you are admitting to more and more moral absolutes. Let's call that progress.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '17 05:55
    Ok so you believe it is always wrong for all governments to kill citizens for crimes, is that correct? Seems you are admitting to more and more moral absolutes. Let's call that progress.
    I believe capital punishment is wrong. And I understand the arguments in favour of the death penalty. I cannot think of a scenario in which it would be justifiable, but maybe there is one. We shall see, In the meantime, I am content to simply state that I oppose it on moral grounds. Meanwhile, your religious beliefs have rendered you unable to take a moral stance on the issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree