Atheist vs Theist moral accountability

Atheist vs Theist moral accountability

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I would not 'get away with it'. I would know that I had stolen the money, and that would disturb my peace.

I do not believe that it is always wrong to steal. I am also entirely unconcerned with the prospect of you 'judging' me. Furthermore it has become quite clear that your attempts to 'understand' any beliefs contrary to your own are predicated ...[text shortened]... rgument (or question, if you prefer) which you are surely not so foolish as to actually believe?
Why would it disturb your peace? Why do you view the question to be childish?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
You didn't. But you did say you had to return something. My point is that many Christians believe they will have their sins forgiven after they die.

[b]Maybe you should read Matthew 5:25.

Do your own reading. I won't do it for you.[/b]
Which Christians believe they are only forgiven after they die?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

Atheism is not a belief system.
Of course if you say that then you don't have to defend its underlying assumptions.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Aug 16

Yes.

[b]Why is being selfish wrong from an atheistic point of view?

Because selfishness is bad for society.[/b]
So something is only wrong if it is bad for society? Would you say homosexuality is bad for society?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
04 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Of course if you say that then you don't have to defend its underlying assumptions.
It has no underlying assumptions, as has been explained to you in tedious depth many times.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
04 Aug 16
1 edit

Why would it disturb your peace? Why do you view the question to be childish?
You suggest that an atheist chooses to disbelieve in god in order to indulge in morally corrupt behaviour. Do you expect this to be taken seriously?

Edit: Just noticed your avatar. What is it you think you are winning? Are you gaining great satisfaction from 'winning' arguments against strangers on the internet?

Cape Town

Moves
04 Aug 16

So something is only wrong if it is bad for society?
No, that is not what I said.
I said selfishness is viewed as wrong by some atheists, myself included, because it is bad for society.

Would you say homosexuality is bad for society?
No.

Moves
05 Aug 16
2 edits

So those things are only wrong because we have decided that they are wrong? If that is the case what is wrong with a society of cannibals where they have decided otherwise about murder? Are they wrong? If so why?
Not doing something because you decide it is wrong is better than not doing it because you will be punished for doing it, isn't it?

Edit: I mean isn't that a step forward?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Aug 16

No, that is not what I said.
I said selfishness is viewed as wrong by some atheists, myself included, because it is bad for society.

[b]Would you say homosexuality is bad for society?

No.[/b]
So what then is the basis of differentiating between right and wrong?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Aug 16

Originally posted by JS357
Not doing something because you decide it is wrong is better than not doing it because you will be punished for doing it, isn't it?

Edit: I mean isn't that a step forward?
If something is wrong simply because people have decided that it is wrong, then surely that opens up the ability to rationally justify almost anything. Does it not?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Aug 16

It has no underlying assumptions, as has been explained to you in tedious depth many times.
So "There is no God to whom I am ultimately accountable" is not an underlying assumption of atheism?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
05 Aug 16

So "There is no God to whom I am ultimately accountable" is not an underlying assumption of atheism?
Atheism merely dismisses your assumptions. We don't need to establish a belief system to do that.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Aug 16

So what then is the basis of differentiating between right and wrong?
A variety of things. When it comes to morality, the main thing is empathy. But not all right and wrong have to do with morality.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Aug 16

Is "Zeus doesn't have blue hair" and underlying assumption of Christianity?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Aug 16

So you tell US the underlying assumptions of atheism.