1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 17:572 edits
    Atheism - If there is no God you can break whatever moral law you wish and get away with it as long as you are not caught.

Theism - If there is a God you will ultimately not get away with anything, as you are ultimately accountable to God for your actions.

Is that why atheism is so appealing?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 18:05
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Atheism - If there is no God you can break whatever moral law you wish and get away with it as long as you are not caught.

Theism - If there is a God you will ultimately not get away with anything, as you are ultimately accountable to God for your actions.

Any thoughts?
    It appears you view atheists as lacking a moral conscience or being accountable to themselves.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 18:091 edit
    Correct. However, most of us do not behave morally purely out of fear of consequences.
    Do you?

Not true for Christianity. Most Christians do not believe they will be held accountable as they believe they will forgiven for all their sins.

Is that why atheism is so appealing?
    I personally don't find atheism appealing. Do you know anyone who does?
    I am atheist because I don't believe there is a god, not because atheism appeals to me.
    In fact the whole concept of choosing a belief based on its appeal seems monumentally stupid to me. Reality doesn't change just because you want it to. If appeal were a good reason for belief I would probably start with fairies.
    Do you believe in fairies?
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 18:11
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    It appears you view atheists as lacking a moral conscience or being accountable to themselves.
    But if morals are simply the subjective opinions of men and it is your opinion that stealing a million dollars is ok, what's going to stop you?
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 18:141 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Correct. However, most of us do not behave morally purely out of fear of consequences.
    Do you?

[b]Theism - If there is a God you will ultimately not get away with anything, as you are ultimately accountable to God for your actions.

Not true for Christianity. Most Christians do not believe they will be held accountable as they believe they will f ...[text shortened]... l were a good reason for belief I would probably start with fairies.
    Do you believe in fairies?[/b]
    So why should we behave morally if we can benefit from it and ultimately get away with it?
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 18:26
    So why should we behave morally if we can benefit from it and ultimately get away with it?
    You are surely not foolish enough to actually believe this 'argument', so why do you present it? Could it be that you only post this nonsense in order to attempt to belittle those who don't share your beliefs? Does that strike you as moral behaviour?
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 19:262 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You are surely not foolish enough to actually believe this 'argument', so why do you present it? Could it be that you only post this nonsense in order to attempt to belittle those who don't share your beliefs? Does that strike you as moral behaviour?
    What argument? I simply asked a question. Was it too close to the bone? By the way you don't have to answer the question if it makes you feel uncomfortable.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 19:311 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you?

[b]Theism - If there is a God you will ultimately not get away with anything, as you are ultimately accountable to God for your actions.

Not true for Christianity. Most Christians do not believe they will be held accountable as they believe they will f ...[text shortened]... l were a good reason for belief I would probably start with fairies.
    Do you believe in fairies?[/b]
    Not true for Christianity. Most Christians do not believe they will be held accountable as they believe they will forgiven for all their sins.

They have to confess it, repent and make restitution. So if they have stolen something they need to return it.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 19:41
    What argument? I simply asked a question. Was it too close to the bone? By the way you don't have to answer the question if it makes you feel uncomfortable.
    It does make me slightly uncomfortable realising that you and presumably others like you are only constrained to act in a moral way by the threat of punishment after death.
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 19:461 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    It does make me slightly uncomfortable realising that you and presumably others like you are only constrained to act in a moral way by the threat of punishment after death.
    So what is going to stop you from taking a million dollars if you know for sure that you can get away with it?

As an atheist, do you believe it is always wrong to steal or are there cases where it is acceptable?

I am not judging you I am trying to understand your beliefs.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 19:55
    So what is going to stop you from taking a million dollars if you know for sure that you can get away with it?

As an atheist, do you believe it is always wrong to steal or are there cases where it is acceptable?

The tenor of your statements suggests you ARE judging and hope to show being atheistic is bad.
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 19:594 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The tenor of your statements suggests you ARE judging and hope to show being atheistic is bad.
    So no questions should be asked if you may put a belief system in a bad light?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 20:06

The question is about stealing. Definition of steal from google search: "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

If what stops you from stealing is the threat of punishment by God, you are operating at the same moral level as the person whose morality depends on whether he/she will be punished by their fellow man. It may be necessary to use fear control some people's behavior, but many of us are developed to operate at a higher level such as a sense of duty or the social contract theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kohlberg%27s_stages_of_moral_development
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 20:183 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    The question is about stealing. Definition of steal from google search: "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."

If what stops you from stealing is the threat of punishment by God, you are operating at the same moral level as the person whose morality depends on whether he/she will be punished ...[text shortened]... tract theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Kohlberg%27s_stages_of_moral_development
    So basically there is nothing intrinsically wrong with murder, rape, or torture, for example, but since rational self-interested persons like yourself do not want these things being done to themselves, they agree to extend the same courtesy to others? So you would not take the million dollars only because you don't want someone to take it from you? Or is it intrinsically wrong to steal?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 20:40
    But if morals are simply the subjective opinions of men and it is your opinion that stealing a million dollars is ok, what's going to stop you?
    The owner of the million dollars, obviously.
    Have you ever seen God stop someone steeling a million dollars?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree