1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 11:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Some of us atheists became atheist a long time ago and since then have had no need to know anything about the Bible for purely personal faith reasons. I do not study the Qu'ran nor many other religious books just to see if I am wrong about my atheism. Do you?
    Perhaps you should. Knowledge is never a bad thing.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 12:30
    Some of us atheists became atheist a long time ago and since then have had no need to know anything about the Bible for purely personal faith reasons. I do not study the Qu'ran nor many other religious books just to see if I am wrong about my atheism. Do you?
    It's different to read to Qu'ran and to read about the Qu'ran (or the mormon book, or whatever).
    I do not study the books or what the books say to make my mind. It would make no sense.
    If i'm a little informed about the book, it's for matters of debate and to know a little more in the historical point of view.

I wanted to say atheism is not a matter of faith or belief. I don't need confirmation for atheism. It's only the sum of my knowledge that tells me that there is no God. Traveling, reading and learning about other people, debating, helps to this "sum of knowledge".
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 12:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Perhaps you should. Knowledge is never a bad thing.
    Wasting time gaining unimportant knowledge most definitely is a bad thing. In fact it is one of my gripes with religion: it causes people to waste far too much time which could be better spent.
    If I had the time to ancient literature I would probably start with Greek mythology, shakesphere etc. but to be honest I prefer modern fantasy as it is written in English.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 12:43
    Wasting time gaining unimportant knowledge most definitely is a bad thing. In fact it is one of my gripes with religion: it causes people to waste far too much time which could be better spent.
    If I had the time to ancient literature I would probably start with Greek mythology, shakesphere etc. but to be honest I prefer modern fantasy as it is written in English.
    You have as much of a closed mind as the fundies.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 12:53
    Defending twhitehead...
    How many of you christians read Qu'ran, Book of Mormon, or about Hinduism?
    For me reading these books and quoting or knowing deeply interpretations people make of them is not knowledge. So in this point is disagree with twhitehead... It's not unimportant kwnoledge. It simply IS NOT knowledge.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 12:54
    What are you doing reading modern fantasy? You're wasting time which could be better spent.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 13:171 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What are you doing reading modern fantasy? You're wasting time which could be better spent.
    Better by whose standards? In my opinion it is self entertainment and thus well spent. Can you give me a better reason why I should read the Qu'ran?

[edit] I do not read fantasy to gain knowledge, so the analogy does not apply.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 13:181 edit
    In what way is my mind closed? Are you saying that these gods might actually exist and I should keep my mind open? Please elaborate.

I don't for a moment believe that you walk into a book shop and read just any book you can find just because 'knowledge is never a bad thing'. Do you read through all the creationist websites because 'knowledge is never a bad thing'? Have you memorized the first 3000 decimal places of pi because 'knowledge is never a bad thing'?

We only have time for gaining a certain amount of knowledge in our lifetime and gaining knowledge is not the only pursuit we have. I prefer to prioritize by gaining the knowledge that I consider most important, most relevant, or most interesting to me. Ancient religious writings do not fit any of those categories.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 13:29
    In what way is my mind closed? Are you saying that these gods might actually exist and I should keep my mind open? Please elaborate.

I don't for a moment believe that you walk into a book shop and read just any book you can find just because 'knowledge is never a bad thing'. Do you read through all the creationist websites because 'knowledge is never a ...[text shortened]... or most interesting to me. Ancient religious writings do not fit any of those categories.
    Supposedly an atheist is one who claims that theists have the burden to prove that God exists and that they have not produced any evidence to support this claim. If you refuse to even read the arguments of theists presented in their religious writings, how can you say that you have fairly considered the evidence? You're simply in "holding your breath till you turn blue" mode.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 13:30
    Originally posted by serigado
    Defending twhitehead...
    How many of you christians read Qu'ran, Book of Mormon, or about Hinduism?
    For me reading these books and quoting or knowing deeply interpretations people make of them is not knowledge. So in this point is disagree with twhitehead... It's not unimportant kwnoledge. It simply IS NOT knowledge.
    A) I'm not a Christian;

B) Define "knowledge".
  11. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 13:37
    A) I'm not a Christian;

B) Define "knowledge".
    A) - sorry, didn't mean to offend you. Again i was using "you" as the 2nd person in plural, directing to anyone who would be reading the post.

B) Something you get to know 🙂 For me knowledge is something you learn from reality. It must be something that can be disputed. If you read the Books, you gain knowledge of what is inside. What the Books say is not knowledge.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 14:31
    Supposedly an atheist is one who claims that theists have the burden to prove that God exists and that they have not produced any evidence to support this claim.
    No. An atheist is simply someone who does not believe in God, for whatever reason. I do not believe that anyone has the burden to prove that God exists. I simply don't believe that God exists.

If you refuse to even read the arguments of theists presented in their religious writings, how can you say that you have fairly considered the evidence? You're simply in "holding your breath till you turn blue" mode.
    Do you read all the books about fairies and santa claus, witches, wizards, vampires etc? How much must one read before he can be said to have 'fairly considered the evidence'? Do I need a doctorate in theology? Must I read the Bible, the Qu'ran, and all Christian writings of the past 2000 years?
    Before I even accept a hypothesis for consideration you must convince me that it is worthy of consideration. Currently I do not consider the God hypothesis to be worthy of consideration.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 14:472 edits
    [b/]No. An atheist is simply someone who does not believe in God, for whatever reason. I do not believe that anyone has the burden to prove that God exists. I simply don't believe that God exists.

If you refuse to even read the arguments of theists presented in their religious writings, how can you say that you have fairly considered the evidence? You'r sideration. Currently I do not consider the God hypothesis to be worthy of consideration.
    So you have a closed mind; why object when I say so?

EDIT: Some atheists here have used the definition I gave; I believe it is the standard one.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 18:34
    Better by whose standards?
    Exactly.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '07 02:185 edits
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Humility is a useless, self-demeaning trait.
    Ah, this is where you are wrong. Humility is actually a better understanding of reality because in comparison to creation as a whole, you are nothing.

As Christ once stated, those that exalt themselves will be abased and those that abase themselves will be exalted. Think about it. If you put yourself on a pedestal eventually someone will knock you over. It is only a matter of when. Conversly, if you abase yourself there is no where to go but up.

Look at this saying from other wordly examples. Look at how such people as Christ and Ghandi abased themselves and now they were later exalted. They gave their very lives for their fellow man rather than for themselves. Conversly, look at how such men as Hilter exalted themselves for their own selfish gain and how they were later abased.

Go figure. All of this was revealed to me through a silly book of myths. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree