1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 12:57
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I can see that it's pointless.
    Once again you are faced with the opportunity to make an argument and substantiate your position with someone who is prepared to challenge your position and once again you walk off with your ball.

I ask you once again to show why your extrapolation of the words "the Son shall set you free" is more valid than mine. If you could easily do this you would have done so by now. You know as well as I do that Jesus says many things that need extrapolation and interpretation , he even admits this himself.

However, you take your extrapolation as self evident and then pretend it's not an extrapolation , thus never feeling the need to validate it against other extrapolations. You dare not admit to yourself that you are extrapolating on Jesus's words here just as much as the next man. You cannot do this because you have no other way of defending your position other than the "ToO is right , and everyone else is extrapolating" mantra. You basically assume that you cannot possibly be wrong and see anyone as trying to test out your position as a distorter.

The opportunity is there to show how robust your position is and you choose not to take it. What I always notice as well is how it's just at the very point when things are looking a bit tricky for you that you decide "it's pointless". My son does this on the playstation when it's going against him. Do you not have the self knowledge to see the game you are playing with yourself? It's always you that walks off.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 13:01
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Once again you are faced with the opportunity to make an argument and substantiate your position with someone who is prepared to challenge your position and once again you walk off with your ball.

I ask you once again to show why your extrapolation of the words "the Son shall set you free" is more valid than mine. If you could easily do this you wou ...[text shortened]... ledge to see the game you are playing with yourself? It's always you that walks off.
    Listen, whether you want to admit it or not, logic and reason are not your strengths. You've shown time and again that it's pointless to have a discussion with you.
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 13:44
    Listen, whether you want to admit it or not, logic and reason are not your strengths. You've shown time and again that it's pointless to have a discussion with you.
    But every time the discussion gets interesting you threaten to walk away.

If it's so self evident then please explain (using logic) why your extrapolation of "the son shall set you free" is more reasonable than mine. I think he's talking literally about himself here in the same way he talks about himself being present with us in the Holy Spirit. Why is this illogical?

Stop accusing me of being illogical and just prove it. You are like a chess player who keeps saying how crap his opponent is and how pointless it is to play him , but he never actually sits down to play. If I am that crap then it should only take you 5 minutes to do it.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 13:52
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    But every time the discussion gets interesting you threaten to walk away.

If it's so self evident then please explain (using logic) why your extrapolation of "the son shall set you free" is more reasonable than mine. I think he's talking literally about himself here in the same way he talks about himself being present with us in the Holy Spirit. Wh ...[text shortened]... ually sits down to play. If I am that crap then it should only take you 5 minutes to do it.
    It's easy enough to do. The difficult part is that you don't seem to be operating in a world that contains logic and reason. Without that, it's pointless.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 14:03
    It's easy enough to do. The difficult part is that you don't seem to be operating in a world that contains logic and reason. Without that, it's pointless.
    But you still have to explain how your extrapolation of the words "the son shall set you free" are any more logical than mine.

You also talk about logic as if it is always a fixed thing. For some it is totally logical to invade another country and force democracy on it's people hoping that it will not disintegrate into civil war. To me it's highly illogical. To you it is obviously logical to assume that only those things that Jesus says that are 100% clear and explicit are worth exploring . To me that's illogical because Jesus said many things using metaphor and imagery and parables and left much to extrapolation.

To me it's also logical to be consistent. This means that if one uses the words of Jesus to support one's position then one cannot discount his words in other contexts.

Maybe I'm dense to think that you should also be prepared to have one's own logic used against you. This is why I have used your verse and your logic (the words of Jesus should be taken very seriously) to take you on.In effect I'm playing away from home at the moment. If you like you could lay out what the right logic is for me to use and I will try and use it. What is the right logic we should be using to extrapolate Jesus's words? What are the rules? You set them for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree