1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:001 edit
    There's been quite a bit said against Christianity.

I don't think I've seen much said against the teachings of Jesus. Is there anything that anyone has found objectionable? I'd really be interested in hearing it if there is.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:05
    Why do you put Atheists against Jesus? Why not put all non christians of various beliefs on one stand?

Muslims believe in Jesus as a holy figure, Jews are not. What about Buddists, Hindus, Zen believers, shamanists, animists?

I, for one, think Jesus is a philosofer. Some of what he says is jibberish, some are deep words. But he did some wierd suicide things, everyone has to agree...
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:06
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

I don't think I've seen much said against the teachings of Jesus. Is there anything that anyone has found objectionable? I'd really be interested in hearing it if there is.
    One problem is we don't really have any idea what his teachings really were, since he did not actually write stuff down, later people put what he supposedly said down so we are getting it second hand at best.
    That said, I don't think that actual teachings would be objectionable to most atheists except the part where he says he is the son of god literally. I think a lot of his teachings were along the line of 'you think of yourself as unclean, as a lower caste, maybe untouchable, but you are really a good person just like the best of the rest'.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:17

Everything you said so far! 😕
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why do you put Atheists against Jesus? Why not put all non christians of various beliefs on one stand?

Muslims believe in Jesus as a holy figure, Jews are not. What about Buddists, Hindus, Zen believers, shamanists, animists?

I, for one, think Jesus is a philosofer. Some of what he says is jibberish, some are deep words. But he did some wierd suicide things, everyone has to agree...
    Simply because I'm interested in what atheists think of the teachings of Jesus. It seems like lumping all non-Christians together would muddy the waters.

What do you see as gibberish?

Do you agree with his philosophy? If not, where do you think he goes astray?

Care to explain what you mean by "weird suicide things"?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:291 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    One problem is we don't really have any idea what his teachings really were, since he did not actually write stuff down, later people put what he supposedly said down so we are getting it second hand at best.
    That said, I don't think that actual teachings would be objectionable to most atheists except the part where he says he is the son of god literally. caste, maybe untouchable, but you are really a good person just like the best of the rest'.
    Granted it's all second hand at best.

It seems like "the part where he says he is the son of god literally" is open to interpretation. Is there a particular verse that you found objectionable?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:38
    Originally posted by josephw
    Everything you said so far! 😕
    You find everything about the teachings of Jesus objectionable? I'd think there'd at least be some things that you wouldn't.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:46
    Granted it's all second hand at best.

It seems like "the part where he says he is the son of god literally" is open to interpretation. Is there a particular verse that you found objectionable?
    Second hand? They were eye witnesses. Your theology is seriously flawed, and like all eccentrics you take to attacking the inspired word of God.

You are unaware of it, but you show differentiality toward the atheist out of one side of your mouth, and out of the other you reticule and insult and belittle the Christians who post here on behalf of the truth of God as it is revealed in the Bible.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:46

Mark Twain called Jesus "the inventor of Hell". That has to be the biggest objection.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:48
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Mark Twain called Jesus "the inventor of Hell". That has to be the biggest objection.
    Since the idea of Hell had been around for millenia before Jesus, it sounds like Mark Twain was wrong.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 21:49
    You find everything about the teachings of Jesus objectionable? I'd think there'd at least be some things that you wouldn't.
    You can't even read. I said everything you said is objectionable.

This is a prime example of how far out in la-la land you really are.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 22:021 edit
    Second hand? They were eye witnesses. Your theology is seriously flawed, and like all eccentrics you take to attacking the inspired word of God.

You are unaware of it, but you show differentiality toward the atheist out of one side of your mouth, and out of the other you reticule and insult and belittle the Christians who post here on behalf of the truth of God as it is revealed in the Bible.
    From what I've seen, the words attributed to Jesus ring true to me. For you the words attributed to Paul ring true to you. Therein lies the difference.

Actually the differences I see between much of "Christianity" and the teachings of Jesus is at the root for the topic of this thread.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 22:04
    You can't even read. I said everything you said is objectionable.

This is a prime example of how far out in la-la land you really are.
    Joseph, Joseph, Joseph.

I know what you said. Just like you know what question I asked.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 22:451 edit
    From what I've seen, the words attributed to Jesus ring true to me. For you the words attributed to Paul ring true to you. Therein lies the difference.

Actually the differences I see between much of "Christianity" and the teachings of Jesus is at the root for the topic of this thread.
    "Granted it's all second hand at best." These are your words.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Do you still think it's second hand. Or do you think these words of Jesus are made up too?

Your hypocrisy is too obvious.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 23:003 edits
    [b]"Granted it's all second hand at best." These are your words.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Do you still think it's second hand. Or do you think these words of Jesus are made up too?

Your hypocrisy is too obvious.[/b]
    As usual you miss the point. The words attributed to Jesus ring true to me. It's the spirit of His words that's important. Ever notice how the quotes of Jesus often differ by author. If Jesus wrote down his own words, then they'd be first hand. If this were another time, you'd no doubt be a Pharisee.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree