3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 02:12
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Avatar compared to the Story of Jesus

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=9FMM9JNU
    Hmmm...with Russell Crowe due to star as Noah redone as an environmental hero, you'd have thought that maybe Christianity and environmentalism would become cozy partners. But apparently Christianity is determined to keep itself as irrelevant to the 21st century as possible.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '12 21:551 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Hmmm...with Russell Crowe due to star as Noah redone as an environmental hero, you'd have thought that maybe Christianity and environmentalism would become cozy partners. But apparently Christianity is determined to keep itself as irrelevant to the 21st century as possible.
    I see nothing limiting any partnership between Christianity and environmentalism, except maybe the narrow mindset/conservative idiocy of some Christians.

Excuse me, "people who call themselves Christians".
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 00:141 edit

I can see this guy's point of view. In fact, I have the same problem with Eastern religions as he does.

But I can sit and watch Avatar and say yes, it is a cinematic tour de force, and appreciate its story and enjoy the movie without suddenly jumping up at the end of it and saying "yes, they're so right! I don't need a savior at all!"

I mean, um, what???

If the movie is soooooo demonic, it must be some sort of demonic fail... cause I walk away from it just as much a Christian as ever. It's just a freaking movie, man...
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 00:40

he makes some absurd claims, one does not have to worship a tree to know that its an entire community, indeed Christians are counselled to make a study of the creation because for by doing so one can perceive Gods qualities. Romans 1:20
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 02:33
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I can see this guy's point of view. In fact, I have the same problem with Eastern religions as he does.

But I can sit and watch Avatar and say yes, it is a cinematic tour de force, and appreciate its story and enjoy the movie without suddenly jumping up at the end of it and saying "yes, they're so right! I don't need a savior at all!"

I mean, um, wh ...[text shortened]... away from it just as much a Christian as ever. It's just a freaking movie, man...
    I really see environmentalism as being the emergent religious concern of the 21st century. Any religion that wants to remain relevant is going to have to jump on that bandwagon in a big, big way. But I really don't see Christianity as being ready to champion itself as the standard bearer for that cause. For the most part, I don't think they want that role. They seem more interested in buying themselves in the concerns of 1st century Palestinians.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Nov '12 23:51

Could not find media, site said content was removed.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Nov '12 01:45
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I really see environmentalism as being the emergent religious concern of the 21st century. Any religion that wants to remain relevant is going to have to jump on that bandwagon in a big, big way. But I really don't see Christianity as being ready to champion itself as the standard bearer for that cause. For the most part, I don't think they want that role. They seem more interested in buying themselves in the concerns of 1st century Palestinians.
    You might be right, but I see environmentalism becoming a major concern for everyone, not just religion. We simply cannot continue to destroy it as cavalierly as we have been doing for centuries and not endanger the ability of the planet to sustain us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree