1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 14:14
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well no they don't.

Because if they did they wouldn't believe it.

People are brought up being told that these 'events' happened and thus it seems
    perfectly normal.
    It's everyone else's religions and beliefs that seem weird.

'Some of' the best take downs of other religions, have been done by Christians...
    who for some reason then fail to app ...[text shortened]... claim_they_didn_t_have_sex.html

So CLAIMS of virgin births are actually remarkably common. 😉
    If a Creator was able to call the universe into existence from nothing, do you think that causing a virgin to give birth would be too difficult ?

The important word here is "if". I know you are an atheist. But if you turned out to be mistaken, why would a Creator God not be able, if God chose, to cause a virgin to give birth ?

Remember, this same Creator is supposed to have called the universe into existence from nothing.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 14:44
    Originally posted by sonship
    If a Creator was able to call the universe into existence from nothing, do you think that causing a virgin to give birth would be too difficult ?

The important word here is [b]"if"
    . I know you are an atheist. But if you turned out to be mistaken, why would a Creator God not be able, if God chose, to cause a virgin to give birth ?

Remember, this same Creator is supposed to have called the universe into existence from nothing.[/b]
    Causing a woman to have a 'virgin birth' should not be at all difficult for the
    god described in the bible.

However you have, as ever, got it backwards.

The 'virgin birth' along with all other miracles is claimed as evidence for the
    existence of your god.

You cannot therefore assume that such a god exists in order to be able to
    explain the events that you then use as evidence for god.

The god of the bible is generally assumed to do basically whatever it wants.
    It can do anything logically possible.

So anything could be 'explained' by saying god did it.

Which is why 'god did it' doesn't explain anything.

It's possible that IF the god of the bible existed that it could cause a virgin birth.

However there are a number of natural biological situations that can result in virgin
    birth, and we have no convincing evidence that such a birth actually occurred.

So you are left with an event that may very well have never happened, and even if it
    did can be explained naturally.

God is totally unnecessary.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 17:065 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Causing a woman to have a 'virgin birth' should not be at all difficult for the god described in the bible.

I would think first it would not be difficult for any all powerful Creator for whom the existence of the universe is do.

However you have, as ever, got it backwards.

The 'virgin birth' along with all other miracles is claimed as evidence for the
    existence of your god.

It is not claimed as the only evidence for God. So I don't see a problem.

You cannot therefore assume that such a god exists in order to be able to
    explain the events that you then use as evidence for god.

I can assume that there is accumulating evidences, of which the account of miracles done by God are among other evidences.

Actually, I can count the existence of a book like the Bible itself to be an evidence.

The god of the bible is generally assumed to do basically whatever it wants.
    It can do anything logically possible.

On occasion God is reported to have done something to make a point.
    That is part of God's communicating with man to help man to He Who and what God is.

So anything could be 'explained' by saying god did it.

Given the character of God in the Bible, no, I would not say anything could be explained that way.

The birth of Jesus Christ is not an isolated neat trick. It is important to the narrative that we examine Who it is that was born. His birth, His sinless testimony, His words, His deeds, the manner in which He voluntarily died (being absolute for the will of His Father), and the resurrection all accumulate to make a case for God's existence.

Which is why 'god did it' doesn't explain anything.

I see no rational high ground in your reply. The question I had was why would it be difficult for a Creator of the universe to create a virgin birth.

I think the right answer is that it probably wouldn't be.
    That's all.

It's possible that IF the god of the bible existed that it could cause a virgin birth.

That's right.

Now we go on from there, to decide if one believes that it happened. I have been persuaded that it did.

The power of the alledged event certainly corresponds to the power of the personality and His impact on human history.

However there are a number of natural biological situations that can result in virgin birth, and we have no convincing evidence that such a birth actually occurred.

I don't know that.

But as I said, it is not the birth of someone in a vacuum. The nature of the Person said to have been born this way is rather consistent with the unusual mode of His arrival.

It is history that the experts in the Hebrew Bible expected a Messiah to be born in Bethlehem of Judea. And that is what they told King Herod when foreigners came looking for some "born king" of the Jews. They referred Herod to the prophecy of Micah.

Now there were plenty of boys born in Bethlehem. But there was only one who lived in a way which is consistent with the words of Micah 5:2 a " ... Ruler of Israel (though temporarily opposed and rejected) And His goings forth are from ancient times, from days of eternity."

Jesus acted and spoke as one with eternal preexistence. And His conquering death suggests His is an indestructible life.

Many were born in Bethlehem. Only one lived and spoke as someone from eternity. And such a one could have arranged to be incarnated anywhere He chose, being transcendent over time.

So I don't just take the virgin birth by itself, isolated and in a vacuum, and figure "Well, this could have happened without God."

I take in the other contributing factors and decide upon an accumulated case.

So you are left with an event that may very well have never happened, and even if it did can be explained naturally.

Again, to this we might say "One down, five hundred to go."

The other factors of this Man's life, deeds, words, character, and impact on history build up an accumulated case for God becoming a man or for God sending His Son.

God is totally unnecessary.

By isolating this one virgin birth, you are saying "God is totally unnecessary."
    But it has more of the feeling of you wanting God to be unnecessary, generally anyway.

I think this is simply your preference for the "total" unnecessariness of God.

The prophecy of Micah 5:2 was there in the Scriptures of the Jews for centuries. And the whole controversy of Who is the Jewish Messiah so rages around Jesus as the strongest candidate, coincidence, biological or otherwise, is less a logical choice than that perhaps the real God of Israel is involved.

How could this mistaken virgin born person orchestrate the circumstances predicted ? That He is actually Who the prophecy states is not an unreasonable belief.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 17:14
    However there are a number of natural biological situations that can result in virgin birth,

When and where did this occur ?
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 18:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And they'd be right to do so "today". God's been "done" with us for a while, now. We won't be seeing any real prophets any more, and probably very few virgins over 20, either. We're just basically waiting for Satan to get his s**t together for the final push against Man. And that includes waiting for things to get soooo bad that the AntiChrist will look like a savior.
    There's no Eschatology without scat.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 23:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Right, Jesus was never a baby.

Case closed.
    Actually that would make more sense don't you think?
    Have him born a man so that he is ready for action right away.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 06:30
    Originally posted by darvlay
    There's no Eschatology without scat.
    How true!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree