Back to Spirituality

Back to Spirituality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Oct 20

@suzianne said
My position on evolution and the BBT is just as you said earlier, it really only acts as an answer to "how" God "did it".
So you don’t believe that God created a man straight out of the dust of the earth as Genesis says?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Oct 20

@divegeester said
So you don’t believe that God created a man straight out of the dust of the earth as Genesis says?
It just took longer than you are intimating.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
10 Oct 20

@divegeester said
Spirituality is a realm of the supernatural, perhaps the only realm. If there is no supernatural then there is no spirituality. One cannot deny the existence of the supernatural while claiming to hold to spirituality; that’s a contradiction.
I could not disagree more.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
I could not disagree more.
Is that a case you’re trying to make, or should readers just believe you?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Oct 20

@suzianne said
It just took longer than you are intimating.
So you don’t take any of Genesis literally?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
10 Oct 20

@divegeester said
Is that a case you’re trying to make, or should readers just believe you?
How about C) they may read some of my earlier posts in this very thread?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
How about C) they may read some of my earlier posts in this very thread?
So your case for there being a spirituality is that it’s not supernatural and is all about asking where did I come from etc?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
10 Oct 20

Spirituality relates to the spirit, the ghost.

It’s not another word for self awareness or philosophy of life.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
10 Oct 20

@divegeester said
So your case for there being a spirituality is that it’s not supernatural and is all about asking where did I come from etc?
"a spirituality"

interesting construction

say a little more?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
10 Oct 20
1 edit

@divegeester said

It’s not another word for self awareness or philosophy of life.
Actually, I think there is a definite overlap with philosophy [please note the success of posters such as bbarr or LemonJello in the past]. Specifically: it deals with the part of humans that seeks transcendence - of/above/over the simple, mundane considerations of physical existence.

Edit: and are not theistic writings, such as the book of Proverbs, chock full of life philosophy?

F

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
I think a more practical and revealing application of the word "spirituality" is that it is the aspect of the human consciousness - and religious/philosophical activity attendant thereto - that perceives the existence or non-existence of "the ghost" [and what you refer to when you say "the spirit"] and/or the side of we humans - our human nature - that is curious and speculative about notions of "the ghost" and other conjecture about the role of the supernatural within reality. I realize the dictionary backs you and not me on this. But I am just trying to get at what is really going on when people talk about "spirituality" as being some sort of realm.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
Actually, I think there is a definite overlap with philosophy [please note the success of posters such as bbarr or LemonJello in the past]. Specifically: it deals with the part of humans that seeks transcendence - of/above/over the simple, mundane considerations of physical existence.

Edit: and are not theistic writings, such as the book of Proverbs, chock full of life philosophy?
The book of proverbs is philosophy. Spirituality is, as the word indicates, appertaining to the spirt which is a supernatural entity.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@fmf said
I think a more practical and revealing application of the word "spirituality" is that it is the aspect of the human consciousness - and religious/philosophical activity attendant thereto - that perceives the existence or non-existence of "the ghost" [and what you refer to when you say "the spirit"] and/or the side of we humans - our human nature - that is curious and speculative ...[text shortened]... to get at what is really going on when people talk about "spirituality" as being some sort of realm.
There is a spectrum of definitions of “spirituality” and while many if not most refer to aspects such as human consciousness they all defer to the fact the spirituality appertains to the spirit and therefore the supernatural, why else would the word contain the prefix and subjective “spirit” which is indeed the ghost, the soul, the non temporal element of our being.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20
1 edit

@bigdoggproblem said
"a spirituality"

interesting construction

say a little more?
Spirituality appertains to matters of the spirit. In order to have “a spirituality” one must accept that there is a “spirit”.

I find it interesting that some atheists are possessive over the term “spiritual” when they don’t believe in the supernatural, ie. they don’t accept that humans have a spirit.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Oct 20

A modern take on spirituality is 'an encounter with one's own "inner dimension.'

This can be done without any need or belief in a divine entity.