1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 12:38
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You've said 'appertains' at least 5 times now. Is that your new word of the month?
    Is “trifling fingerprints” still yours?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 12:411 edit
    @divegeester said
    Spirituality appertains to the metaphysical elements of the human condition which are of the spirit, the soul of a person. If one does not accept that a human being has a spirit, a soul an actual part of them which transcends the temporal then human beings by definition cannot be “spiritual”.
    Our metaphysical dimension is rooted in our faculties and capacities and need not be supernatural in any way.

Our each and every "soul" is that personhood which is founded on exclusive access to our each and every narrative, in harness with the unique moral compass that each of has, which is interwoven with that narrative, and which guides us as we continue the narrative into the future.

That unique personhood is the human "soul", I reckon. It's utterly astonishing, so it's no wonder many [most] people think that it's created by a deity and that it's supernatural in substance.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 12:511 edit
    @fmf said
    Our metaphysical dimension is rooted in our faculties and capacities and need not be supernatural in any way.

Our each and every "soul" is that personhood which is founded on exclusive access to our each and every narrative, in harness with the unique moral compass that each of has, which is interwoven with that narrative, and which guides us as we continue the narrative int ...[text shortened]... onder many [most] people think that it's created by a deity and that it's supernatural in substance.
    Without the supernatural spirit then surely everything you have just described, as fine sounding as it is, is merely a function of the complex of neurones which make up the various interconnected dynamics of brain function.

Either way God doesn’t have to be involved unless one chooses to view it that way.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 13:12
    @divegeester said
    Without the supernatural spirit then surely everything you have just described, as fine sounding as it is, is merely a function of the complex of neurones which make up the various interconnected dynamics of brain function.
    Yes. Brain function. And the unique narrative and moral compass this brain function affords us gives us an identity which is the same thing, to my way of thinking, as what theists are referring to when they talk about our "souls". Except, they think it's of supernatural origin while I think it of metaphysical origin.

I find no credible reason to believe any of the "revealed" Gods are involved.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 13:22
    @divegeester said
    Absolutely not, as I explained in an earlier post.
    So you can positively deny the existence of souls and still discuss the spiritual aspect of existence without being illogical.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 13:49
    @kevcvs57 said
    So you can positively deny the existence of souls and still discuss the spiritual aspect of existence without being illogical.
    That’s a non sequitur Kev. Also it’s a false dichotomy.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 13:541 edit
    @fmf said
    Yes. Brain function. And the unique narrative and moral compass this brain function affords us gives us an identity which is the same thing, to my way of thinking, as what theists are referring to when they talk about our "souls". Except, they think it's of supernatural origin while I think it of metaphysical origin.

I find no credible reason to believe any of the "revealed" Gods are involved.
    I don’t disagree with anything you’ve written here. In fact I would say that from the atheists POV “spirituality” and “a (certain) way of thinking” are indeed exactly the same thing. In fact I think that is what my point has been in this discourse.

My contention is that irrespective of applied nouns and adjectives such as “spiritual “ and “spirituality” ~ this “thing”, this “way of thinking” cannot actually be spiritual because there is nothing supernatural with it.
  8. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 22:50
    Buddhism is a form of spirituality which does not require belief in, or presuppose the existence of, supernatural entities.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 23:54
    @moonbus said
    Buddhism is a form of spirituality which does not require belief in, or presuppose the existence of, supernatural entities.
    Hah! Another "soothing irrationality"!

Then again, who are theists to talk in this respect!
  10. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Oct '20 06:27
    @bigdoggproblem said

For sooth, some people want not soothing.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Oct '20 06:47
    @divegeester said
    That’s a non sequitur Kev. Also it’s a false dichotomy.
    It’s neither but that’s irrelevant anyway dive. I’m just tying to get clarification on who can and cannot discuss ‘spirituality” whilst maintaining the internal logic of their philosophy.
    I think the actual problem is that this forums title and brief rubric is too restrictive if we use the dictionary definitions of ‘spirituality’. It almost precludes the question regarding the nature of reality and sets up a two dimensional bun fight between theists and atheists along with a good dose of trench warfare between the Christians of different interpretational dogmas. None of which is really in the spirit of a genuine search for truths concerning the nature of existence IMO.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '20 07:23
    @kevcvs57 said
    It’s neither but that’s irrelevant anyway dive.
    It’s both Kev. Your comment non sequentiality and non logically followed in reply to mine, and in doing so it presented me with a false dichotomy.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '20 07:26
    @kevcvs57 said
    I think the actual problem is that this forums title and brief rubric is too restrictive if we use the dictionary definitions of ‘spirituality’. It almost precludes the question regarding the nature of reality and sets up a two dimensional bun fight between theists and atheists along with a good dose of trench warfare between the Christians of different interpretational dog ...[text shortened]... which is really in the spirit of a genuine search for truths concerning the nature of existence IMO.
    Atheists keep bringing theism into into this discourse, I don’t.

This discussion is basically about the definition of the word spirituality but the only reason I’m interested in it is that I see those here who like to enjoy their platform of science, rationality and logic attempting to also enjoy the eclectic nebulous irrationality of the spiritual.

It’s fake, and I’m calling them on it.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '20 07:29
    @moonbus said
    No one so far has mentioned “supernatural entities”.

You are another atheist trying to sneak a god or or gods into this discussion. Stop it.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '20 07:30
    @bigdoggproblem said

More appeals to theism...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree