1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 07:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The message was not for members of the Church. It was for all those unsaved people who have not yet joined his Church. And since children are easier targets than adults especially when using scare tactics they would be the obvious first target. Though one wonders what good it does singing the hymn in Church.
    Singing is fun! And the lyrics are funnier. In a church? It would be great! Bring the booze and the chicks and it's awesome.
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 12:171 edit
    The message was not for members of the Church. It was for all those unsaved people who have not yet joined his Church. And since children are easier targets than adults especially when using scare tactics they would be the obvious first target. Though one wonders what good it does singing the hymn in Church.
    It is a positive message about hope still remaining for us all...hymns are for churches to encourage,lift up and inspire... how nasty to think that giving children a religious background is "scare tactics".... good grief...you really are.....
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 12:35
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    It is a positive message about hope still remaining for us all...hymns are for churches to encourage,lift up and inspire... how nasty to think that giving children a religious background is "scare tactics".... good grief...you really are.....
    I must agree giving a child a religious background can't be good. Children must have incentives to think freely without any dogmas. Teaching a child he must believe in God or else he'll go to hell, and to hurry before time expires can't be educative. Few children can recover from that trauma and have a free, independent thinking. Unless you truly believe that specific creed and you think you are saving the poor child by teaching her that religious stuff. If that path is to be the correct one, let the child decide it when he grows. Manipulating children to believe anything is easy, do you want to be that manipulative guy?
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 12:511 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    I must agree giving a child a religious background can't be good. Children must have incentives to think freely without any dogmas. Teaching a child he must believe in God or else he'll go to hell, and to hurry before time expires can't be educative. Few children can recover from that trauma and have a free, independent thinking. Unless you truly believe th ...[text shortened]... . Manipulating children to believe anything is easy, do you want to be that manipulative guy?
    let the child know of religion and let them decide as they grow...its the only way.
  5. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 12:57
    let the child know of religion and let them decide as they grow...its the only way.
    ...and did you chose later in life or were you brought up by a religious family???
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 12:581 edit
    Originally posted by silly mctall
    ...and did you chose later in life or were you brought up by a religious family???
    I was brought up by atheists...not one of my family members believe... except the wife!!!
  7. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 13:02
    I was brought up by atheists...not one of my family members believe... except the wife!!!
    and do you look on them in a different light as you now follow Christianity? are they sinners? do you try and encourage them to follow a religion?
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 13:09
    Yes. I agree, let the child know there are religions, explain to them the different religions that exist and their viewpoints, explain them science and logical thinking and let them decide.
    But you must agree this is not the thing that is done nowadays.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 13:38
    It is not a positive message and is not a religious background either. It is most definitely scare tactics. I have seen enough scare tactics by Christians against children to know that it is common place. I have experienced it personally and had people do it to my own child. When I question the scarrers in question they often admit that they do not believe what they are saying but believe that it is OK to lie and threaten if the result is bringing someone to God.
    For example I once noticed my son hitting himself on the shoulder and he explained that his teacher had said that the devil is sitting on his shoulder.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 14:37
    Originally posted by silly mctall
    and do you look on them in a different light as you now follow Christianity? are they sinners? do you try and encourage them to follow a religion?
    I respect them for what they are... yes they are sinners as are we all...i dont force what i believe onto them but every now and then i bring God forward in the hope that someday they might show an interest.
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 14:39
    Originally posted by serigado
    Yes. I agree, let the child know there are religions, explain to them the different religions that exist and their viewpoints, explain them science and logical thinking and let them decide.
    But you must agree this is not the thing that is done nowadays.
    I agree it is not done nowadays and it really should...the child will know of his/hers parents religion but will have a choice...no matter what they decide the parents must respect that!!!
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 14:42
    It is not a positive message and is not a religious background either. It is most definitely scare tactics. I have seen enough scare tactics by Christians against children to know that it is common place. I have experienced it personally and had people do it to my own child. When I question the scarrers in question they often admit that they do not believ ...[text shortened]... e shoulder and he explained that his teacher had said that the devil is sitting on his shoulder.
    Very extreme.... i have not personally experienced this in any way... what do they say to your child? these scarers are not true believers...

The teacher isn't very good at their job...obviously didn't explain what they said to your child well enough!
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 14:43
    It is not a positive message and is not a religious background either. It is most definitely scare tactics. I have seen enough scare tactics by Christians against children to know that it is common place. I have experienced it personally and had people do it to my own child. When I question the scarrers in question they often admit that they do not believ ...[text shortened]... e shoulder and he explained that his teacher had said that the devil is sitting on his shoulder.
    You should have told your son to quit being so arrogant. Who does he think he is, that the ruler of this world would waste the precious time he has left by sitting on the shoulder of some no-account kid suffering through math class?
    The nerve!
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 14:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You should have told your son to quit being so arrogant. Who does he think he is, that the ruler of this world would waste the precious time he has left by sitting on the shoulder of some no-account kid suffering through math class?
    The nerve!
    Your not helping and a little out of line there...
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The nerve!
    If you're trying to be funny, you're not.

If you're serious, you're the one who should "quite being so arrogant." The attitude you've displayed here is despicable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree